Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

AlternateNu posted:

Bingo. I love KMC HyperMattes, but the set of sleeves I've had the longest without wearing out or crudding up is a set of Silver Dragonshields I still use for my modern deck. There is a huge decline between the silver/gold Dragonshields and their standard colors, though. (One of my friends swears by the turquoise ones, which I think is the newest color.)

Copper is newer than Turquoise but they're both made with the "flat" process. There's also the Fusion sleeve but I don't know where those stand.

Angry Grimace posted:

If there some way to make them less curled though? I like the feel, I just hate that they're persistently curved.

Turquoise or Copper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Sigma-X posted:

I don't get this at all - how is goyf not a utility card like bolt or thoughtseize? Bolt kills creatures or clocks the opponent. Goyf clocks the opponent.

Your definition of a "utility card" is pretty dumb.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Anatharon posted:

I'm not really big into Magic but I started thinking of playing it again, because a lot of people play it here and I'm starting to feel left out of conversations. :v:

I've got a huge mishmash of cards I inherited from my cousin but I'm too paranoid to use anything with a lot of real world value and got a white New Phyrexia event deck. Anyone have any advice for playing or building on it? I'm bad at magic.

Also I have Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 and 2013, are either of them strictly better than the other?

Get yourself some KMC Hyper Matte sleeves and some KMC Perfect Size and stop being :tinfoil:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ErMkA_c_c
(hit the gear icon and set the speed to 1.25 to make him sound like a normal person)

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 18, 2015

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pyronic posted:

Holy poo poo he does sound normal at 1.25 what the gently caress.

Yeah, he's even commented about it. Like, I think he said something about his wife saying it makes him sound like a normal person.

It's a great feature that I've gotten a helluva lot of use out of that I would have continued to ignore if not for that channel.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

AlternateNu posted:

Hyper Mattes are great if you plan on double-sleeving. I prefer the later generation Dragonshields, though, (e.g., the metallic colors and fuchsia + turquoise) as those are printed with a new process that prevents them from bowing like the brown sleeves shown above.

Turquoise and Copper are the flat ones. The "fuschia" ones are the Fusion sleeves which, as the name suggest, seem to mix features of the flat and old style.

C-Euro posted:

Does that have the normal MtG cardback, or is it the same as the front?

Normal back. There are a bunch of variations that pop up: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/348-rarities-filler-cards-english-cards-index.html

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 29, 2015

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
The 19k bid was canceled, as were a bunch of others.

That's http://stores.ebay.com/Guru-MTG and apparently he's a real awesome guy

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

UberJew posted:

I thought that read 3 or less and got really excited for a moment

That would be crazy busted, probably even if it said "non-token creatures."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Yawgmoth posted:

Is there any way to make RU thopters a thing in pauper? I don't know if it'll be good enough for standard but I can't really tell if there'd be enough support for it at common alone.

With what? There aren't any new thopter cards at common. http://imgur.com/a/gcAIG

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Zoness posted:

There was an article someone wrote about how wotc likes to sit on cards that are trending highly but aren't necessarily too powerful for a particular format as a way to make sure they can push a supplemental product later. I mean this makes sense as long as this business model isn't restricting the size of their player base.

Sometimes it's not clear what WotC wants in terms of its player base size because they are kind of dependent on distributors to make sure demand for game keeps in line with ability to hold large events. Also like, there's the idea that without SCG buttressing it with the open series, legacy would probably not be nearly as popular a format.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-wizards-manages-its-savings-account

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Partial Octopus posted:

Anyone know of any products similar to this? http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Case-...IN%3DB00XKOOBBC

I'd like to find some way to securely store my collection but that price seems insane.

Ahahahahah yeah, that's waaaaay overpriced. The same thing on amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-Case-TCG-Protector-Gathering/dp/B00GW6SSW8

https://www.etsy.com/listing/201036782/tcg-trading-card-storage-case-for-magic?ref=related-0

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

GlennFinito posted:

MaRo confirmed it on his tumblr. Full art lands are back in battle for Zendikar :)

Fat Packs will have full art basics. Don't know if we'll have 80 basics like modern fat packs or 40 like the old ones. Better be loving 80 basics Wizards I swear to god

Imay be'm casual as gently caress and picking up 1-2 fat packs for the full art lands is seriously tempting. Oh, and I guess that's like 18 boosters and some boxes?

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 17, 2015

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Yawgmoth posted:

I feel bad for you, then. Every B&M store around here uses TCGplayer mid, and if they don't they either have a tremendous gimmick to keep them in business (like cheap packs or free tourneys on the reg) or they wither and die.

Yawgmoth posted:

Yep. Universe Games is the one with the gimmick (a lot of their tourneys are free with prizes and buying stuff gets you points) keeping them afloat. I bought 2 MM15 packs from them on Friday with some points I had laying around. Opened an etched monstrosity and hurkyl's recall. :(

Just want to give you a huge THANKS for bringing that store to my attention. I went 3-0 playing Pauper on Saturday in my first ever sanctioned event.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

You seem to be right. Odd they didn't make that part of the text of the card but it appears gatherer has updated this.

It's like suspending Rift Bolt, in that it ignores the printed timing restrictions, but you can choose not to cast it and let the spell sit in exile, if you want to, I guess.
It's not like there's room on the card for the text you suggest and the "You may cast that card without paying its mana cost." usually means "like, right loving now" as the card you played resolves, right? Isn't there an unplayed/unplayable red creature, that got argued about in this thread, that does that in Origins?*

I don't mean to dogpile on ya about #3 :/

*Fakeedit: Abbot of Keral Keep?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

tirinal posted:

Speaking of which, gently caress rolling thunder. How does printing that thing again make limited better.

How dare Wizards reprint an inefficient burn spell at higher rarity

If you're mad about it now, imagine how much more angry you'd be if the card was still at common.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Booyah- posted:

It seems like the only reason Storm World spiked is that a store listed it for $800, or maybe someone did a phony transaction. Mtgfinance people usually don't talk about market manipulation though, and the "it's spiked to 800" story is convincing naive sellers to buy it out. This is just my guess, maybe there is a legit demand for a card that is really only valuable because of nostalgia.

A similar thing happened to Dong Zhou, the Tyrant: It's a "$40" card with such low supply that it hit a high asking price of $500 when somebody bought the few listed cards on TCGplayer last March. (TapTapConceed opened one last week.)
That exposes one of the things I most laughable about the idea of "mtg stocks": you only see the asking price during these spikes and not the price the cards are actually selling for.

quote:

or maybe someone did a phony transaction.
I highly doubt it. Pretty much all of the sites I've seen are limited to tracking the asking price so there's no need to fake a transaction.
Eve Online provides better market data than that! Who cares if a card is listed at $80 when it's the $50 copies that are actually selling. TCGplayer is at least attempting to provide that info with their beta "Market Price" column.

Yawgmoth posted:

For me, if I go 3-0-1 every week for 3 months I would get approximately $200 in packs from FNM. Since I am not the best (by a longshot), it's more like $120 or so on average. So as long as I don't spend more than ~$250 per block, I break even-ish.

The $65-$130 you save during that 3 months by playing at a store that runs free FNM certainly doesn't hurt! :P
Free entry, 4 packs for 3-0-1, is pretty sweet. 25 miles south'ish and you're looking at the same payout for a $5-9 entry.

quote:

Of course, that's just looking at it from a monetary angle. If you're not factoring in the enjoyment you're getting from playing the deck into your ROI (or worse, getting zero enjoyment), you're officially Playing Magic Wrong and should find a new hobby that has a fun factor > 0 for you.

Indeed. Making money is about the last thing on my mind and I feel sorry for anybody who's trying to grind out "value" when "value" is strictly dollars. I've been playing one of the most expensive decks in one of the cheapest formats: paper pauper burn.* It's not a even a top-tier deck, despite the highest cost, but I just wanted to sling bolt after bolt in dude's faces and be at least somewhat competitive while doing it. If I can turn my $5 entry into a buck or three of store credit towards the next deck while playing some matches I feel like I'm coming out ahead.

*: Burn may be one of the cheapest viable decks in most formats but in paper pauper it's 2-4x's the cost of most decks: a heavily played playset of Chain Lightning costs you as much as a T1 deck in the format. This brings us right back around to Storm World: loving Legends. Chain Lightning at least had the decency to get printed in a Premium Deck.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Moreover you almost never hear of players actually cashing out in the sense of selling off stuff that's appreciated in value and then washing their hands at it. You see a lot of the whole "made my money back!" thing when they open a money card from a booster, only to never actually convert it into, you know, money. There's that alongside the fact that that same player probably doesn't do pre-rotation sells or anything to try and make their money back either; They just squirrel everything away into the collection. Everyone's got the story of a friend's friend's friend who bought a car or paid for college or whatever with an old collection that isn't actually true, but the actual real world Magic nerd is super bad about trying to minimize money spent and making something back on more expensive cards. As has already been discussed in here several times, people like to act like they're "making money" while ultimately the hobby has only ever made their bank account shrink to varying degrees.

C'mon man, plenty of folks know people, or are people, who sold the [collection their parents paid for/the collection they dumped money into as a teen] into a lovely car/pile of textbooks/a month's rent and that's not make-believe. Those guys cashed out. The guys you're talking about are the ones that bought those piles of cards.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Niton posted:

It's also the lion's share of their advertising budget, much larger than whatever Wizards spends on the Pro Tour.

Yeah, as opposed to Wizards who spends most of their advertising dollars charging themselves money printing cards to advertise to people that literally just purchased their product.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 19, 2015

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Foreskin Problems posted:

mid isn't necessarily a measure of the average sell price as it's open to manipulation by people posting items for 800 when they usually sell for 5.

I don't remember if they show it to buyers, but on the seller side of things we're shown a relatively new metric that shows the actual average price for completed listings.

tl;dr stick with tcg low as it's relatively close to indicative of the actual 'worth' of our worthless cardboard.

You need to be in the proper view, and logged in, to see the "Market Price (Beta)" column. All Versions -> Price Guide View
http://shop.tcgplayer.com/productcatalog/product/show?gameName=magic&productname=jace%2C%20vryn%27s%20prodigy&pgv=True&lu=True&pageNumber=1

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

Of course, the way flipwalkers are used would mean I only even need 1 (or max 2) special snowflake Jaces, even if I were to put it in my Twin deck.

What?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Count Bleck posted:

Provided you own the actual flip cards, you can use whatever cards you want.

He's basically saying if he plays 4, he'll only ever need the SDCC two plus 2 others to prove he owns the cards, because how on earth do you have more than 2 on the board at any given time you filthy cheatman.

Ahhh, ok.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Terrible Horse posted:

Is there a pauper aggro goblins deck? Because the pauper goblins I've seen plays out more like combo. There is a RDW in pauper (i just played against it) but its straight burn, no creatures.

That's not RDW then, it's Burn. Typically runs a set of Keldon Marauders and no other creatures, but there's a creature version that runs Kiln Fiends, Simian Spirit Guide and some pump spells. This is what I run in paper. MTGO pauper guys give me poo poo about the 4 maindeck Curse of the Pierced Heart but the paper players I play against really, really hate it and will burn a Duress on it rather than any one of the much better burn spells in my hand.

There's also Mono-R Heroics. It's mostly aggro but the guy I played against ran the Act of Treason + Fling combo (which is a buncha dead cards against Burn!). Looked like a lotta straightforward fun to me.

Paper Pauper Paper Pauper Paper Pauper Paper Pauper
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zILWbmOZoQJM.kh4HFNWH6fqg
I made a map, and a form to add missing paper pauper locations to it.
Paper Pauper Paper Pauper Paper Pauper Paper Pauper

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

norton I posted:

I'm having a hard time finding one of these. I remember going to one run by the San Mateo game shop, but I'm having a hard time finding out if they still do this.

Does anyone know a good shop in the SF Bay area that runs one of these for adults?

You've got options. Gator Games has a draft on Nov 22nd and not a whole heckuva lot else on the calendar. The Professor plays at Anime Imports in Pacifica and speaks well of them. They run a few drafts a week.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Archenteron posted:

Three soul sisters. A Norin per player. A Genesis Chamber. 2-3 Champion of the Parish and Ajani's Pridemate per side. 12 life and a cascade of triggers every turn. Stacks of Myr piling up. Both sides sitting on their Legion Loyalist to deploy as the final answer :shepface:

This is something I do when I'm in a particular mood and want to see how Forge will deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Lobsterpillar posted:

A while back someone posted a link to a remake or mod of the old shandalar game with new/modern cards. Does anyone have the link to that handy?

over here somewhere

• Locked thread