Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Solemn wasn't in m11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

That command being able to return a Snapcaster seems pretty good

check this sweet combo:

command back your snapcaster, snap back your command. Gain 8 life.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

mcmagic posted:

But you need 8 mana...

Yes. That's the sole issue with this gameplan.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Silumgar's command is a one-way (actually 6-way) ticket to value town. It feels like something where you'd really have to stretch to make it not a two-for-one.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

pakman posted:

this will go great in my wavecrash triton edh deck

there's a problem with this.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I wanna whip it, gain 13, and kill your hornet queen tokens.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
2 mana forked bolt and lava axe costed lava axe. Too bad you need 50 points of burn to kill someone in this standard.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LGD posted:

100%. Just think of anyone you've ever heard bitch about "blue players." Though their psychographic isn't likely anything like pure Vorthos.

Yeah, I don't really think that's a psychographic thing. It's just that casual players tend to think of the colors as archetypes unto themselves.

e: Like, competitive players still tend to think of themselves as aggro players or control players. This is just the uninformed version of that.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 15, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
So I assume that the new printing process means that they can do what they wanted to do in isd, and pack the proxy version of the card in the same pack?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

suicidesteve posted:

Not using the old rules! You kids and your new rules. Back in my day we had mana burn and damage on the stack and Morphling was the strongest creature and it was excellent. :colbert:

That rule was changed in revised, and there was no stack or morphling back then.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

The current rules are that you don't have to remind opponents of their own beneficial missed triggers, right? I had an opponent get my Courser of Kruphix off an Ashiok and they missed a life gain trigger from it. Am I a scumbag cheater for noticing it and not reminding them?

This was at a GPT under competitive REL.

You're good. If you need to check the rules for yourself, it's covered by MTR 4.4, and IPG 2.1

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Devor posted:

At FNM, I had an opponent who kept missing the triggers on his Scroll of the Masters and then remembering them later in the turn where he corrected it. Once he remembered one on the following turn when we had gone to combat and I was considering attacks. I said it was a missed trigger at that point, and some other people jumped up my rear end about a new rule saying triggers that aren't "may" can't be missed, and you have to rewind the game to correct them.

What was the deal with that.

That's not at a rule. However, since it's regular REL, my opinion on the matter would be "c'mon man, let the guy have his trigger."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Spiderdrake posted:

You can play Blue Elemental Blast, I think? I forget if there's an effective difference or not.

Grinding pauper was one of those things where I know I've done it and I know I made some amount of tix and yet have no recollection of the experience. Yikes.

The difference is that beb is an uncommon on modo.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
So, they got rid of momir dailies and now also queues?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bugsy posted:

Just use tangle wire with Vorel until you find your win con.

Nothing better than having tangle wire sitting at 3000 with a prophet of kruphix out.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
What's wrong here

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Okay but what if I have Infinite Reflection on Jushi Apprentice, then manifest a double faced card?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cernunnos posted:

Then it enters the battlefield as a Jushi Apprentice. Manifest/Morph creatures aren't tokens.

Yeah. So I can flip it, unmorph it, and transform it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

I love how awkward some of the jargon is in other languages. It always feels so silly to read "bibliotheque" on a french card.

It's awkward in english, too. We've just gotten used to it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Count Bleck posted:

I just realized DFC walkers means check cards are back, bleh.

Maybe not. The new card frames might mean that they can actually put the placeholder version in the same pack as the actual card. That was a thing that they wanted to do in ISD but couldn't because the printer couldn't guarantee that it would be consistent enough.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

whydirt posted:

FYI, if you have to ask an Internet forum which color/guild/brood pack is the best at the pre-release, you're probably not winning the tournament even if you get it.

Just pick whichever seems fun you nerds.

There isn't a crazy expensive card in one of the seeded packs this time, so there's no reason to care beyond what looks cool.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

newtestleper posted:

Does anyone know why there's never been a cycle of simple enter the board untapped, non-typed dual lands?

They seem like they'd be extremely printable and wouldn't unbalance standard or modern.

Because that is too good. Not as good as fetches/shocks, but still too good.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Serperoth posted:

Pedantic is fine, but "strictly better" means that it is unhindered by metagame (which Blood Moon and Wasteland and whatnot are part of). I've been wanting to write a post about what would be STRICTLY better. Like Lightning Bolt/Shock/Searing Spear. Bolt is better than both, but the other two are not strictly better than worse than one another.

Sorry for not getting your joke, by the way.

Lightning bolt is countered by Chalice of the Void, which is a part of the metagame.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AlternateNu posted:

So, now that we're done with this cyclical iteration of the "strictly better" chat coming off of reserve list chat. What's next?

Hmmm. Oh, I just saw this killer game of flip + rip where the guy tore a foil Liliana out of a russian Innistrad pack in front of this 11 year old disabled kid who needed that as his last card for the Modern deck he had been slowly buliding over the last 3 years by saving money scrubbing floors at the orphan's home he lives at.

poo poo was baller, yo.

How do you even play flip and rip properly with innistrad? What do you do with the DFC?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

rabidsquid posted:

Coldsnap 20 cent rare Garza's Assassin

This guy is great in my edh deck.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

As much as people bitch about Thragtusk, I really liked ISD / RTR standard. There were a ton of cool decks in a variety of archetypes, from UW snapcaster control to that crazy naya humans blitz deck that took off with Burning Tree Emissary being printed in Gatecrash.

I miss Augur of Bolas, that card was super sweet.

The standard where you could pod Jens into Thragtusk was a great standard.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

black potus posted:

casual format: buy some all commons repack, preferably w/ cards in languages you can't read, get drunk, shuffle in lands, play w/ taht

I've mini-mastered dollar store boosters, and it's anything but casual.

It's more casual than the draft format, at least.

black potus posted:

casual format: get some dudes who don't know how to play magic, give them some boosters, and follow whatever rules they invent to play the game

Make this the next thunderdome.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Emerson Cod posted:

Micro-Magic: No cards above 1 CMC, 30 card minimum for decks, and no banlist. Otherwise just a regular game of Magic with singleton building rules.

Finally a place for me to play my contract from below.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Emerson Cod posted:

Micro-Magic: No cards above 1 CMC, 30 card minimum for decks, and no banlist. Otherwise just a regular game of Magic with singleton building rules.

This is important: How many cards for sideboards?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bugsy posted:

Just 1.

Thanks, I only needed one.

1xBackup plan.

Best sideboard.

e: what is there in the format to deal with a resolved Chalice of the Void?

e2: burn is actually the best deck thanks to format all-star Meltdown.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 31, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

Land, Memnite, Mox Anything, Chalice for XX=1, go.

mountain, meltdown for 0.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
d'oh. Fine. Land, take 1, land, meltdown for 1.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cernunnos posted:

Spell Snare. :smug:

Countered by Chalice.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Herr Tog posted:

So what say you goons? Wanna play a game about a game?

I kinda want to see just how much money we can get you to spend on this deck.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Herr Tog posted:

Good point. Maybe I should put in a rule to make mythics or certain dollar value cards banned.

Wow, then what's the point?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Herr Tog posted:

I'm not buying 4 20 dollar cards.

I'm sorry, have you played magic before?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Do it as long as you toxx for it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

newtestleper posted:

Herr Tog: My deck concept is budget white weenie

Goons: 4x Liliana of the Veil

4x Snapcaster Mage
52x Relentless Rats

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
What's the reason for the ISD-forward rule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angry Grimace posted:

I just laugh whenever I see or play that card since its generically the best card ever.

Like, Voice of Resurgence isn't actually the best card ever printed, but practically anyone who even vaguely knows how to play Magic can look at that card and say, "this card is loving overpowered."

Except for goons in this thread when the card was spoiled.

• Locked thread