Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The number on Evolving Wilds is 248 out of 264, leaving room for 16 cards. I guess there could be 3 basic land arts, but since there are 5 basics there have to be exactly 5, 10, or 15 basics in the set. Khans had 4 of each art (20 cards), and FRF had 2 of each (10). I guess since Dragons is 5 smaller than Khans (264 vs 269) there are probably 3 arts, and I bet the other non-basic will be the third "of the Spirit Dragon" land to go with Tomb and Crucible. Throne Room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Shout out to Corey Baumeister on camera right now, who just assigned 11 Polukranos damage (out of a 14 point activation) to a 13/13 Warden of the First Tree because he didn't read the card.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Considering I just put together Modern Green Stompy and was excited to slam Garruk's Companion in there, I am quite excited to see a Garruk's Companion that gets a +1 counter off of an Experiment One.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This does not interact with X1 the way you hope it does.
On turn 2, of course, I meant more on turn 3-4. Also works with Strangleroot Geist, and even the Scavenging Ooze and Young Wolf that some versions of the deck run.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Rinkles posted:

When was the last red ritual printed? Is Wotc still okay w/ them?

Because this would be kinda cool:

T1 mountain #1, Swiftspear
T2 mountain #2, Desperate Ritual, into second Swiftspear, into DR, into Titan Strength, into Temur Battle Rage on the first Swiftspear

Defiant Strike and Dragon Mantle also help

Kind of like a combat based storm deck (very loosely speaking)
It doesn't run any rituals, but there is a deck right now that is rather close to what you described. It's called Suicide Zoo

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Flatten, because -4/-4 is 3B in this set instead of 4B like Throttle and Lash of the Whip.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Cuneo was streaming on I think Thursday and he pulled the Tormenting Howl play, and I think everyone in the chat had been telling him to cut Howl from his deck.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Either Wizards had some kind of tech screw-up or someone accidentally took their RG Aggro Standard deck into the Modern Daily yesterday and finished 3-1. You can see the deck listed on wizards.com too.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Has anyone played a good amount of Tiny Leaders yet? I'm tossing together a budget deck (Pianna Mono White Tokens) just to have one and since I haven't actually played I'm worried that the deck has very few things to do on turns 1-2. Are a lot of the decks in the format super fast? I managed to whittle the list down to 50 cards and basically ended up with 18 3s and 14 total 1s and 2s.

Maybe since it's so "top heavy" I should find a further cut or two and go up to 19-20 lands.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

C-Euro posted:

Maybe post your list and we can see how to speed it up? 20 lands seems high, in tinkering with my own lists I haven't wanted to go above 18 lands but I have been able to keep my mana curve less top-heavy than yours.
I guess mine is more of a midrange deck where I plan to block some early and try to stabilize the board until I can get to a critical mass of tokens to start attacking:
https://deckbox.org/sets/932434

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just hope January's WorldRewake has enemy man lands and that the WB and WR ones don't suck

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Have you guys tested Dragon Fodder in the deck? I kinda wanna run Goblins with Obelisk for Game Day but that's probably just worse than a more optimized Best Cards plan.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Dang with just the good Goblins you get Denizen, Frenzied, Scout, Heelcutter, Rabblemaster, plus Fodder and Outburst. But if you ran the full compliment of all of those you'd need to run like 22 lands at least to make sure you hit your 3s every game.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
They're doing a Modern Rotisserie Draft with a bunch of famous players and you can follow along on Google Docs, it's a slow draft.

To get you hyped, Marshall Sutcliffe took first pick Batterskull and just now Rashad Miller took FIRST PICK GLIMPSE THE UNTHINKABLE~!

https://t.co/mVjSB86GCt

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

C-Euro posted:

I wonder what the statistics are on cards that go up from their pre-order price vs ones that go down, or if there's certain price ranges that are more likely to go up (i.e. cards that pre-order at $8-$10 go up 60% of the time or whatever)

gently caress yeah Glimpse. What's the card list they can select from, or is it just all Modern-legal cards?
Yeah, you can see the details in column K. Most people on Twitter seemed to be pointing out "why wouldn't you just take Cryptic or Mana Leak or something because nobody is going to plant their flag on Glimpse with PICK 1" and I think that's probably right. But this is a sweeter way to do it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I love KMC Hyper-matte black but I guess I just am not good at mash shuffling because I do have a big pile of them where I bent the corner of the sleeve. Do you guys have this problem? When I am getting ready to go to an IQ or whatever, I make sure that I remove all these from the deck I'm playing but is that something that people generally get called on? I guess I could always start using the bent corner ones for drafts now that my CFB sleeves are starting to die.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Anafenza, the Ghost with the Foremost

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Modern Masters boxes have 24 packs so $240 or Euros or whatever is exactly retail price.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I had tweeted this one, from this thread: http://t.co/Xs8nxjxHWu

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's all the decks that went 8-0 or 7-1 in the Standard portion of the Invitational this weekend:
http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/71_or_better_standard_decklist.html
So that's where you want to start probably, and I like the build-out of the RDW there.

The second on the list, Conor on Sultai Reanimator, is a high school teen that plays at my LGS. He actually "won" a Modern IQ last weekend when the top 4 split and he was the only one in the 4 planning on going to the Invitational. He ended up going 8-0 in Standard and 1-7 in Legacy, I think some guys at the shop were telling me that his Legacy Storm deck had Watery Graves in it because, you know, he's in high school.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Those Braverman brothers ran basically the same list and went a combined 15-1 with the deck.

EDIT: Also I am mad as hell that this deck runs 22 Mountains because I bought my specific Ice Age Mountain as a set of 20 on eBay.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 29, 2015

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Oh, and only one half of the bracket was going on during that. So does that mean we have four more best of 5 "rounds" to watch? Right half of bracket, first semi, second semi, and finals? Maybe this will be done before 8 PM!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
And lo everyone watching the Mastery vs. Sidisi match-up passed away before the match ended.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
"Reid the Bones" Duke vs. "Jacob Arms" Wilson in the finals of the SCG Invitational

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

rabidsquid posted:

No there's a Collected Company Modern deck people are trying to buy in on that is the longest of shots to pan out. This is like the goofiest spec I have seen yet, I love it.
Is there a thread for this on Salvation or Reddit or something we can read? I want to see what kind of weird ideas people are having.

EDIT: Found it http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/deck-creation-modern/600001-collected-company-combo-the-other-pod-reloaded

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

AlternateNu posted:

I'm guessing we don't have a list of decks that 4-0'd day one but bombed legacy, so never got a chance to compete in day two, huh?
Well you had to go 0-4 in Legacy if you went 4-0 in Standard to not make day 2, so all the good decks should be here.

For a larger sample size, don't forget to look at the list for the Star City Open:
http://bit.ly/1aaLTl6

Although I guess once you get down below like 16th or so those are decks that went like 10-5 so maybe that's not better than just seeing 8-0s and 7-1s.

EDIT: shortened it because of SCG's weird URLs not working with the forums tags.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah Owen was doing some top-drawer trolling on Twitter during the top 8:

@OwenTweetenwald posted:

The Pantheon runs the streets. They even intentionally play joke decks to not give away information before the PT and still crush everyone.

What did you think was going to happen? You were going to sit down against @ReidDuke or @JacobWilson95 and you were going to win? Seriously?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Dohaeris posted:

My RDW currently runs 20 mountains. To play Outpost Siege reliably as a sideboard, you need 21 or 22, yeah? So 21 main deck, 1 mountain in sideboard, or 20 main deck and one in sideboard?

Land is tricky. I like that RG RDW that's running around splashing for Atarka's Command. But buying 4 mana confluences seems pricey.
The Frank Karsten article only mentions up to 3 for triple mana spells but the suggestion is 22 lands to hit 3 by turn 3. It's 20 for 2 by turn 2, so I'd say 22 is fine for "want to hit 4 by turn 5-6 or so."

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
In less than an hour they're doing another Twitch Streamer Preview Draft for DTK, don't know for sure who the 8 are but I can tell from what I've seen around that it's at least LSV and modogrinder so it should be pretty good.

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Magic%3A%20The%20Gathering at 9 ET all 8 streams should be up around then.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Kenji lost to that guy. Turn 1 Keeper of the Lens, the Bolster enchantment, LIGHTNING SHRIEKER into shuffling into drawing Lightning Shrieker. Really the worst possible world.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Joe Lossett is currently 3-0 in the daily with 4-Color Heroic because he wanted to splash for Temur Battle Rage and Dromoka's Command. His manabase features TWO UNKNOWN SHORES~!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
new LSV video, Modern Living Twin

Game 2 of this match against Kevin Crimin from Gathering Magic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zZK8v5jno

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Will we have to put Tormod's Crypt in our sideboards after this Pro Tour?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Marshall and Randy saying "no mono red" while they just posted the metagame breakdown on the Wizards site show it is the most popular deck with 47 out of 408

http://bit.ly/1aeYMtE

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This guy's about to start the top 8 of a PTQ with Bant Heroic, went 6-1 in Swiss:
http://www.twitch.tv/southfloridamagic

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
For me it's whatever I can find, and/or have time for. First of all I like to watch as many pros draft as I can in a new format because I've found that's the most helpful thing for improving my play at FNM drafts.

For Constructed I prefer strongly to watch Modern and I guess Standard, but I especially like watching brews and non-T1 decks. So Travis Woo (even though he is horrible) and Frank Lepore (on TCG Player, also horrible as a commentator) are ones I look for. Kevin Crimin on GatheringMagic is also one that I'm not wild about the quality of his play but his Playing on a Budget almost always has a highly watchable deck. Conley Woods doesn't post many videos but his stuff is usually good. Caleb Durward is also pretty entertaining.

It does kinda stink that there aren't many players with charisma or broadcasting skill, not to mention LSV being the only actually funny Magic pro. But maybe I'm expecting too much out of Magic entertainment because one of the other things I spend time consuming is comedy podcasts and that's a different bar and skillset than these.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I played Magic in HS around Saga/Masques but my re-entrance to the game was the M14 Prerelease. Today I took down the (admittedly only 10 player) Game Day to win my first tournament. Sure I've 3-0d drafts and casual Modern events, but it feels great to finally get a win that comes with something that says "Champion" on it. I had previously got 2nd at the THS and JOU Game Days with White Weenie and I got a top 4 at TCG Std States last fall with Mono Red.

I played Atarka Red. Round 1 I beat a Naya brew and round 2 I beat Gb Constellation. Since there were only two 2-0s by then there wasn't a need for a cut so round 3 was just The Finals.

Opponent was on Atarka Red running the exact 75 from the Pro Tour. I had been concerned about this match-up and the poor sideboard for the mirror in the PT list so I cut the 2 Rabblemasters, 2 Halls, and 1 Heelcutter from the Dang SB and replaced them with 2 Magnetic Chasm, 2 Searing Blood, and 1 Arc Lightning.

Turns out when you make a proactive change like that, draw the 1-of Scouring Sands both games, and in game 3 just generally draw 4 of the 6 SB cards you brought in, you can win the mirror pretty handily after losing game 1. Feels great. I got my first 3-0 in the DTK draft format on Friday night so I'm on a heater, I might even get up early to go play in a Modern Super IQ across town.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Soothing Cacophony posted:

Managed to go 2-2 (got a bye in round 2 though so really 1-2) with my trashy mono-blue "Ascendancy" combo deck today at Game Day which ended up being good enough for top 8! I lost in the quarterfinals cause the deck is horrible but drat if it doesn't reinforce to me that combo is the best deck type and I need to never not play it. :colbert: drat that promo is gorgeous though, really happy with how today turned out.
Is that the Scribe-Spellfist-Helix-Net all-common combo?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I know it comes up sometimes when Paul or Kenji gets good numbers on stream, but here is some pretty good data about what people are watching on Twitch:
http://gamoloco.com/index.php?type=games&period=monthly

So for March 2015, Magic was the 27th most popular thing on Twitch, with a maximum concurrent viewer total of 20,000 compared to 674k people watching League at its peak.

February, which included PT FRF, Magic was up to 24th with max viewers of 37k.

For the week that included PT DTK, they were still at max concurrent of 20k but were up to 23rd on the rankings.

EDIT: Haha, here's the Magic-specific breakdown page: http://gamoloco.com/game.php?n=Magic%3A%20The%20Gathering&period=monthly

For March you have SCG Live, then Magic, then Kenji, then Paul, then basically a gigantic gulf.

Oh wait, you can't sort it any way but total hours, so you have to scroll down to see that when LSV is streaming the only thing he loses to on average viewers is SCG, he even gets more than Magic. But also I think Magic's data is busted because don't they leave the stream up running replays a lot of the time, like overnight during events?

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah I had the problem with Carytid this season where I started playing again at M14 and said "if I collect 4 of every land then this fall I can play any deck." But then when the rotation happened for Khans I realized "oh wait, I didn't get any green mana guys so I don't have Courser or Carytid and now I can't really play green decks." Oh well, I got 4 Rattleclaws and I guess I'll get 4 of that stupid 3 mana guy when I get my Havens just to be a completist.

• Locked thread