Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Symphonie posted:

now argue about this one

I'm intrigued that they were this concerned with avoiding the relatively rare cases of this being able to move multicolored artifacts or multicolored planeswalkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I have to admit, as someone who really hates dragon/angel creep, the previews have somehow been getting me on board.

I think it's because multicolor dragons with interesting designs (visually speaking, but also mechanically in some cases) are more interesting than when it's just an obligatory :effort: red flying fatty because nearly every set/block/setting needs to have one and besides Creative found a word in the thesaurus that they hadn't appended to "dragon" or "hellkite" yet.

Ideally after doing Literally The Dragon Plane they'd have blown their load and wouldn't need to shoehorn a dragon in anywhere for the next two or three years, but we're probably not that lucky.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

You and me both and I'd love to see more justifications for some color bleed in Bats with Wax.

I don't care how much you argue that nature mages should be able to summon bees. Beeswax is nowhere near Green's section of the color pie, even as a bleed.
:goonsay:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

The answer is no, actually. It doesn't work. See the Gatherer ruling on Cast Through Time:

6/15/2010 If a spell moves itself into another zone as part of its resolution (as Arc Blade, All Suns' Dawn, and Beacon of Unrest do), rebound won't get a chance to apply.

I wonder if the Exile effect was tacked onto Trespass for Narset? Otherwise it seems kind of a pointless restriction.

Those aren't the same though, unless I'm forgetting what arc blade does.

E: nm, I did :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

All Sun's Dawn ends with "Exile All Sun's Dawn."
Yeah, and then I remembered what Arc Blade does too. I think I misread All Suns' as one of the Zenith cycle. Derp.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I need someone to explain to me why Esper, or just U/B splash white for Narset, is so obviously a nonstarter. Is it literally just that the wedges have a triland and a shard doesn't?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I can't wait until someone uses the land mode to unexpectedly turn on Searing Blaze on their opponent's turn. It's gonna happen sometime.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Entropic posted:

My hope for the next year of standard is that there's an actually competive deck for which I'll be able to write "(Everybody Was) Kung Fu Fighting" as the deck name on a GPT deck registration sheet.

Then they just call it "Jeskai Monk Aggro" or whatever in the coverage

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Chamale posted:

It's just a worse Impulse, I guess they decided Impulse is a bit too good for Standard. Still interesting and will see a bit of play.

Impulse isn't that powerful these days. It's good but being afraid of good cards is dumb.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

whydirt posted:

Impulse is also not a great name for a blue card (Maro has mentioned this on his podcast before). There's nothing impulsive about draw-go control.

An impulse reprint would be fun for nostalgia reasons, but I can also understand not wanting to let the old misprint back into Standard just because of people who will end up shuffling because the card says to.
Maro: never not dumb about Magic flavor.

(Note I say dumb rather than wrong per se.)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Niton posted:

A bunch of the non-r&d respondants, as well as Randy, brought up that Insects should never be blue. Which is still true, but R&D let it slide one time, and that single Blue Insect is one of the pillars of eternal formats.
Still not completely correct, since it says they're supposed to green when they're actually black. At least, if they actually have qualities shared by many insects. :pseudo:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

Um what? That doesn't sound very fun or exciting...

Really? Planes/worlds that are gigantic prisons aren't that uncommon a concept in fantasy and sci-fi. There's a lot you can do with it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

ungulateman posted:

The pattern on his skirt-thing is red and white with an unusually familiar starburst shape.

Clearly this means Gideon's from Theros, a block where the red/white faction uses this logo extensively.

The stupidity of some people astounds me.

That looks literally nothing like the boros symbol except in a very general "arc segment of a circle with some pointy bits" sense.

If you meant something else, please clarify.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I like the flavor of a Clickslither being so hungry for Goblins that the mere scent of them having performed shenanigans nearby is enough to make it hulk out. Okay, maybe the fact it gets sacrificed in order to do it doesn't fully make sense, maybe this is just a super pervy insect that gets off on licking the places where a bunch of goblins have been, but ultimately the flavor arguments end up in territory that was literally in a rulebook in 1993 addressing the question of whether you could cast Holy and Unholy Strength on your Air Elemental at the same time.

When the flavor makes sense, it's a bonus, and when it doesn't make sense, that's fine because this is the game where you can cast a spell to make yourself forget how to summon a legendary demon, and that causes the demon's physical corpse to appear in a nearby graveyard. It's net upside.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, except, that's WoTC's line on the set, block, etc. The whole tribal conversation is about how Lorwyn is a gently caress up.

The statement being WOTC's line, and being incredibly wrong, are not mutually exclusive.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I missed most of DFC chat but I just want to say that even though I'm not that much a fan of DFCs, this is a situation where they are much more justified than they were in Innistrad block. No matter how much Maro wants to wank himself over the flavor of transformation, you simply didn't need the DFC mechanic to put werewolves and vampires and Human Insects on cards in a cool way.

This, on the other hand, is a use that really gets the most out of the DFC concept--the transition between two radically different states of being. Not just, "Oh, it's nighttime, I guess I'm yiffyscary now."

Actually, I take back part of what I said, there were some cards in Innistrad that made use of a sufficiently dramatic transformation. The knife that becomes Withengar, at least. That's cool. I'm not sure I can think of any others off the top of my head.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

I liked the Spirit that possessed a Creature

Yeah, that one was cool enough.

Though they should have just used the Licid mechanic to do it :can:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

It would be a weird scenario where you had Sarkhan at 8, all 4 Stormbreaths in your deck and your opponent had more than 0 life. I don't hate it or anything, its just so random seeming. I'll accept the answer that "its for Timmy to cream his pants over."

It doesn't need to be all 4, does it? In the general case where Sarkhan is at 8, there are plenty of scenarios where any nonzero amount of Stormbreaths will be worth ultimating for. And you always have the option of not doing it. It just doesn't really cost you anything to possibly have the option to do that, since 4 Stormbreaths is good, maybe some other dragons will be good, and Sarkhan with just his first two abilities is good. You can just play midrange and occasionally get a game-ending ultimate.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Do you mean the shard trilands?

There's no reason for them to be in there. It would be much less sensical than enemy fetches, even.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

Yeah, those land names are a bit too tied to the Alara shards, I think. It would make too little flavor sense.

I meant more that there's zero reason for shard-colored lands to be in there in general, even with generic or Tarkir-specific names. If it were just a matter of fitting the names somewhere into Tarkir, that'd be less of an issue, but the lands would still make no sense. Arcane Sanctum would probably be an Ojutai monastery and why is it making black mana? I'm sure you can find both jungle shrines and crumbling necropoli in Silumgar territory but where is this red, white, and/or green mana coming from?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

I agree, there are several reasons why it wouldn't make sense, I was just focusing on the names because I know WotC is very sensitive about that.

Yeah, they are, but they're also quite down with reusing the names when it does make sense. Like with the allied fetches, actually. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they named the Alara trilands generically (rather than "Esper Sanctum" or whatever) so that they can potentially reuse them in a different setting someday.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

If it fits into a current Standard deck it's probably something like Abzan Aggro. It hits sixteen out of the twenty creatures in this list and doesn't risk hitting any mana dorks. Even just hitting one of them isn't putrid because these creatures are high enough quality that paying four mana to put one into play, like a sort of instant speed Green Sun's Zenith, isn't the end of the world. That said, sixteen out of sixty is still a fairly high risk of bricking altogether, and unlike wayfinder or commune with the gods (to name two playable effects that can brick) it gives you zero value if you have to ship all six of the cards.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to place the onus on the owner of the hand to make sure all their cards are properly revealed? Like, if you put it down initially and one card is covered up, that's a dexterity error, but when you don't look at it and go, "oh hey, I should make sure it's obvious that I have a Hero's Downfall there," that's where the dishonesty comes in.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

UberJew posted:

Being pointlessly assholish is white's part of the color pie, see heliod, elesh norn, every white character who isn't a planeswalker card

I dunno, Isamaru seemed like a pretty chill dude :woof:

His master was a dickhole though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Weird that the two halves of that card basically don't talk to each other. Like, I would have seen as a better design:

<yada yada>: ~ deals damage equal to its power to target creature

Ferocious- 2R: ~'s base power becomes 4 until end of turn; if you control creatures with power 8 or greater its base power becomes 8 instead

Obviously the templating would need to be cleaned up from what I just wrote but I hope you see what I mean. Also this version lets you activate it once to get 4 and then maybe that turns on ferocious so you can activate it again for 8, but frankly I see that as a cool feature rather than a bug.

And yes, a lot of the mechanics lately are seeming :effort: and I'm pretty sure this is exactly the problem with trying to have 10 new keywords/ability words per block, but I'm not holding my breath for it to change soon.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

It's about time for a "return" block and basically nobody would predict anything other than Zendikar at this point, particularly given that the current storyline revolves entirely around Zendikar - so far the key event in Tarkir block is brining Ugin back so he can go to Zendikar.

One of the best things about the new block structure is they can do RtZ and still do two new settings in the same year. For me, the two previous Return blocks (not counting Time Spiral, obviously) had the problem that while it was neat to take a peek back at them, it wasn't "I'm happy to have nothing fresh and new for an entire year" levels of neat.

Come to think of it, in the past even the settings that seemed really cool in September had often more than worn out their welcomes by May. Innistrad and Theros, I'm looking at you. Zendikar and Tarkir did it a little bit better by seriously changing things up on the plane in some fashion.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

A bit of trivia that occurs to me: last time, 4 out of 5 Commands were sorceries. This time, at least 4 out of 5 are instants.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

In the mode of shock + anything else, it compares pretty closely to Electrolyze, a known Good Card. Upsides: Lets you contextually choose how you want your extra card's worth of advantage. Can use two of the non-burn modes if you need to. Downsides: Isn't blue, and doesn't just let you cantrip if you need to. Doesn't let you split the damage if they have two 1-toughness dorks.

I think it'll be quite playable if there is a deck reliably making those colors of mana. It's not a blue Command, but what else is?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

hedonists trove reminds me of a lovely yawgmoths agenda. Just reprint agenda, that card owned

Agreed, but they should design a new version of Agenda using some of that card's templating, like replacing the "only one spell per turn period" with the "only one spell from the graveyard per turn" so it's less of a straitjacket. Agenda was niche playable but not anywhere close to broken; there's room for improving it without it being a problem, especially in this environment where everybody will be trying to shove creatures up your rear end while you're trying to set up with your graveyard durdle deck.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

With a list that long wizards would be idiots to not do it at this point

In standard: Ashiok, Kiora, soon to be Narset and Sarkhan, Sidisi, Mantis Rider, Pearl Lake Ancient, Temur Ascendancy just for starters

And of course there's the whole counterspell mode, assuming we're still talking about Pyroblast like I think we are. That's why you'd play it over burn for dealing with planeswalkers or creatures, because it can randomly counter Dig through Time too.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

qbert posted:

I guess the "What could go wrong?" part wasn't explicit enough.

A lot could go wrong, guys.

Anyways, forget Pyroblast. Considering these spoilers, what Wizards should REALLY do is reprint Painter's Servant. What could go wrong?

There's actually very little that's "gone wrong" with Pyroblast in any format it's ever been legal in if one isn't just butt bothered by the existence of a red hoser that counters spells and destroys permanents.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

bhsman posted:

Wizards uploaded a Battle for Zendikar trailer; it doesn't show much but it appears the hedrons will be just as prominent as last time.

Didn't the hedrons already all activate and open though? And the Eldrazi already awoke and rampaged around transforming/wrecking the world?

That trailer seems as though it should be set during Worldwake or maybe the beginning of ROE.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Onslaught showed us that basically anything w/ morph is playable.

Fixed for the babbies too young to have learned from the correct epoch :smaug:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

I can't imagine mono red devotion ever coming back. You would have to value Fanatic of Mogis over every possible Green card. It just doesn't make sense to me.

What made it an option next to R/G before that isn't there now? Just the possibility of explosive BTE starts?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah that's a Portal level of :shepface: reminder text right there.

Please note: I'm not saying that it isn't necessary. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm pretty sure this entire argument is over two different parses, both reasonable, of a comma in angry grimace's original post.

This might be a new low even for the Magic thread.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

vOv posted:

JESKAI JUNK

MARDU MONEYMAKER

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Even if you assume that Ferocious will be very easy to turn on when you factor in his 5 power (which, as others have pointed out, isn't an unreasonable assumption) you're still looking at his entire text box being "Fires of Yavimaya, but not as good." That's boring. Compare Xenagod for an example of how to do it better.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

^^^^ :argh:

Gyshall posted:

is birds of paradise overcosted?

It's way undercosted, green needs to pay a substantial tax to get fliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Green is the color of nature except when nature can fly, which thankfully is extremely rare in nature as we all know.

• Locked thread