Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Elder dragon chat - everyone who is mad that these guys are stepping on bolas are aware of another 10 elder dragons, right? Invasion and then the time spiral block ones?

those don't have the subtype elder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
bats aren't rodents

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
narset seems good :I

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I want to see a functional reprint of Flagstones of Trokair.

flagstones of tarkir

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
wotc post spoilers so we can stop talkin about this card :I

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
animeeeee

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Zoness posted:

Would you want a goblin welder in your collection? He'd turn your Teeka's Dragons into like Mindslavers what an rear end in a top hat.

hey boss i wrecked your black lotus. but look, i made a darksteel relic

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
standard is bad
dragons are dumb
you've got til monday
to sign up for tdome

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
is sorin gonna do somethin for real or is sarkhan gonna wake ugin and sorin just shows up to say hey

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
unban bloodbraid

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
if you ignore the conditionality of it it says "UU counter target spell" which is exciting, but it is probably a force spike more of the time.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
it should really be dragondaze, reveal a dragon instead of paying UU to counter unless they pay 1 :3

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
vintage thunderdome feature match rd 1: http://twitch.tv/gangsines

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

When was the last time Standard didn't have a T1 dork in Green, actually?

Elvish Mystic is from Zendikar I think, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was reprinted again, actually.

you're thinkin of arbor elf

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
mystic was first in 2014 i think to replace llanowar elves because of some nonsense dumbass reason

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
it is a turning point in a young child's development to realize other people like different things to them

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
lol guys i don't get why people would pay money for thing?? <-- a sick "burn" or "diss"

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

odiv posted:

If that was to me, don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome. I'm just curious as to what's driving the change.

naw to chill

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i don't pay for streams i just don't have a droopy dick

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
VINTAGE THUNDERDOME feature match goin live at http://twitch.tv/gangsines

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
it's better than telling time. there are scenarios you can construct where telling time is better, but digging a card deeper will be better enough of the time that it's a higher expected value to run anticipate (because outside of those scenarios, seeing an extra card is good).

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
like i can literally not think of a real scenario where i'd take telling time over anticipate while building a deck which is the real question in card eval

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Madmarker posted:

ugh, I just want to abuse that card degenerately at least in one format....oh well.

lets make a format called Cool Format for Sexy Dudes and Ladies wherein you can play 5 treasure cruises

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It's obviously an insult. I actually do have friends but since we don't know each other in real life there is no way for any of us to actually know that so the only way to take it is as an insult.

or you know

a joke

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
poo poo...then yeah it was def a mad ownage burn sry mickey m

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i got hymned yesterday

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
by bug delver, a fake legacy deck

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
please bolster my coffee w/ some espresso

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

Any interest that I had in EDH is now dead. (Previous interest: 0.000001%)

hi ulillillia

also reprint therapy it's a powerful card but also a skill testing one. it's def one of the best designs in magic

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
they should really make flashback evergreen

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Serperoth posted:

This, but for Cycling and Kicker.

really i think all three of these should be evergreen, they are all great mechanics that add a ton to gameplay

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
making kicker evergreen is prob a bad marketing move because yeah you'd just do poo poo w/ kicker instead of making new keywords for everything and history has shown us that people can't see themes that aren't spelled out for them. i think if you could magically design a game agnostic of that it'd be perfectly fine evergreen but oh well.

oh and scry should be evergreen too!! poo poo keep the temples floating around.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
imo the metric for strictly better should really be if you're in a format with both lightning bolt and searing spear are you ever going to run searing spear in your constructed deck. no, you're not, because you're giving up a ton of equity in order to have some gain in some nonsense fringe scenario. however mana leak vs negate might be informed by metagame, by what deck you're building, etc.

this assumes you're trying to build the best possible deck ofc and not some wonky gimmick deck. watchwolf is better w/ muraganda petroglyphs but then you're playing a petroglyphs deck :I

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Starving Autist posted:

Yeah, the pedantic definition is practically meaningless, might as well define the term so that it describes an actually existing relationship between the cards instead of having to deal with "well actually, mindslaver :henget:" whenever someone says lightning bolt and burst lightning are strictly better than shock.

i think serperoth's metrics are good ones for evaluation. mostly i'm of the opinion that identifying the edge case in which in fact searing spear is better than lightning bolt and using it to say "it's not strictly better guyse" is kind of unhealthy card evaluation (if there is such a thing). it's in the same vein as best case scenario mentality where we're evaluating constructed scenarios instead of the realities of how games pan out, or those reddit combo images where there's like eight cards drawn in perfect sequence to build a combo that's still stopped by a counterspell.

also card evaluation metrics are a better topic for this thread than the cyclical nature of bad posting

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
actually maybe it should be its own thread, i think there's a lot to discuss

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
here i posted a thread for card eval talk: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708597

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
oscar jones deck tech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp1eq56_kLU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
same w/ modern lol

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Zoness posted:

magic has casual formats?

I mean like, aside from magic in sweatpants or shorts.

casual format: buy some all commons repack, preferably w/ cards in languages you can't read, get drunk, shuffle in lands, play w/ taht

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
casual format: get some dudes who don't know how to play magic, give them some boosters, and follow whatever rules they invent to play the game

• Locked thread