Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This is a good idea
Yes!
Absolutely!
View Results

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Doc Block posted:

old apartment has old carpet, film at 11

Doc Block posted:

update your yospos.numbers, doc block wears lovely clothes on monday nights while sitting around in his old apartment

ur gettin real nettled by some weak-rear end burns, doc. gotta step up ur game :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
yeah, real men don't sweat living in cum stained squalor.

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
are they going to work behind a screen for the entirety of the job? because if they're sexist/racist enough to discriminate during hiring, they'll probably treat you pretty lovely when you start working there

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

:eyepop: that guy is coming through the screen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
doc block is ok in my book you dudes are being desperate

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

.lnk to the past posted:

are they going to work behind a screen for the entirety of the job? because if they're sexist/racist enough to discriminate during hiring, they'll probably treat you pretty lovely when you start working there

u shuld read blink.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Most people don't conciousley deskrimanate.

Ceos are hired based on height, warren hardy was elected because he looked presidential, etc. One candidate can at first glance look more programmerly or less programmerly and its going to change how you approach the entire interview whether you want to admit you pathetic frontal lobe is controlled by ur lizard brain or not.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I thought nah, can't be true. Then I introspected after I looked at a picture of the todo.txt author.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
the reason music auditions are behind a screen is because you have to mostly care about how good the person is playing the instrument and nothing else counts. with development, interpersonal interactions are at least as important as coding skill, for a sustainable business. if you want to reduce unconscious discrimination, have a more diverse group interview the candidate. if you don't have a diverse group then you're loving up, hire one, because it leads to better technical outcomes.

h t h

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Phobeste posted:

the reason music auditions are behind a screen is because you have to mostly care about how good the person is playing the instrument and nothing else counts. with development, interpersonal interactions are at least as important as coding skill, for a sustainable business. if you want to reduce unconscious discrimination, have a more diverse group interview the candidate. if you don't have a diverse group then you're loving up, hire one, because it leads to better technical outcomes.

h t h

I said technical interview dipshit.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
how much of our unconscious discrimination is accurate i wonder

like people often think i look like a nerd. well, i am a nerd. does my nerdiness predict how i look and act, and could this be used to determine my strengths

though really the bigger issue is probably the people hiring going "ew, a woman" or "ew a brown person"

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

qirex posted:

Reaction time is a factor in this, so please pay attention. Now, answer as quickly as you can.
It’s your birthday. Someone gives you a calfskin wallet. How do you react?
Gavin Newsom: I don’t have anything to put in it. I would thank them and move on.

TW: You’ve got a little boy. He shows you his butterfly collection plus the killing jar. What do you do?
GN: I would tell him to… You know what? I wouldn’t know how to respond. How’s that for an answer? Is this a psychological test? I’m worried…

TW: They’re just questions, Gavin. In answer to your query, they’re written down for me. It’s a test, designed to provoke an emotional response.
GN: Oh, I got you.

TW: Shall we continue?
GN: Sure.

TW: You’re watching television. Suddenly you realize there’s a wasp crawling on your arm. How would you react?
GN: I would quietly sit and wait for the wasp to move to the next victim.

TW: You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, Gavin, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back, Gavin. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that, Gavin?
GN: [Immediately] Not a chance. I would never flip the tortoise over in the first place.

TW: Describe in single words, only the good things that come into your mind. About your mother.
GN: Ethics. Commitment. Sacrifice.

CONCLUSION: Almost too close to call. Almost.

I thought this post was about Gavin Belson from the Silicon Valley show. F U!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
i believe the orthodox traditions are best, yes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the best technical interview should be where you take a candidate into the server room and make sure to pull a couple raid disks so the alarms are going and they start yelling at you that the slave db is down and hand you an overheating p4 vaio laptop with 30 minutes of battery life and hyperterminal on the screen

if you snob and roll your eyes and mutter something about linux, you lose
if you start taking the laptop apart to clear the cat hair before you start, you lose
if you actually try to fix the problem you lose

if you throw the thing on the ground and say "gently caress this, it's not worth it", you get the job

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Why would I ever enter a server room in my life?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

emoji posted:

Why would I ever enter a server room in my life?

gunpoint

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

lol if you have to touch hardware, just lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jonny 290 posted:

the best technical interview should be where you take a candidate into the server room and make sure to pull a couple raid disks so the alarms are going and they start yelling at you that the slave db is down and hand you an overheating p4 vaio laptop with 30 minutes of battery life and hyperterminal on the screen

if you start taking the laptop apart to clear the cat hair before you start, you lose

if you throw the thing on the ground and say "gently caress this, it's not worth it", you get the job

the Kobayashi Maru server room

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

this but more monkey, less cheese

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

lol if you are involved with any of the equipment your software runs on or any of the people who use it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
bunch of limp-wristed software guys in here. lol if you aren't using jtag to debug and probing pins on your cpu with an oscope

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

The Management posted:

bunch of limp-wristed software guys in here. lol if you aren't using jtag to debug and probing pins on your cpu with an oscope

lol if u don't watch YouTube while deploying vm templates all day

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lol if you haven't had to kill a man in service of your job

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Management posted:

the Kobayashi Maru server room

gently caress, you're right, haha

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

"what's a struct? gently caress it, I'll just make another global variable."
-every hardware guy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Doc Block posted:

-every hardware guy

I agree, though I'm not sure why you quoted me.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Doc Block posted:

-every hardware guy

Why do programmers feel like programming is the peak of intellectualism?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Yeah, so you may be able to build a boiler that powers the steam system that makes my building warm. But you can't put widgets in a rectangle so you are a loser.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It's like listening to the pentultimate unpopular kid picking on the least popular kid.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

SYSV Fanfic posted:

It's like listening to the pentultimate unpopular kid picking on the least popular kid.

Don't reveal my posting technique, fuckhead. :mad:

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Anyone hosed a pussy recently?

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Woops, meant to post that in the cat thread

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
so now that u realized your mistake are you gonna go post that in the cat thread then??

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW

Flat Daddy posted:

so now that u realized your mistake are you gonna go post that in the cat thread then??

No, it's a rhetorical question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

spoiler alert: they haven't in either sense of the phrase, nor has anyone here

• Locked thread