Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Congrats on the new paprika-colored baby! What a mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Yes! More baby animals! And they're so awesomely adorable.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I just watched the adorable baby goat video and then the next video autoloaded and I just about died from the cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6INNx8V7q4
How on earth can you withstand the pure adorableness? How has your head not exploded from too many feels?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Haji posted:

I just watched the adorable baby goat video and then the next video autoloaded and I just about died from the cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6INNx8V7q4
How on earth can you withstand the pure adorableness? How has your head not exploded from too many feels?

:agreed:

I think I watched the new baby video about 20 times. Then watched the other videos that appeared in the play list. Thank you InstantJellyfish!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Well the goats played and April Fools joke on me. I went in to feed everyone breakfast and saw this:

Went to go scold Angela for stealing Ginger's baby when I realized Ginger's kid was snoozing in the corner and Angela's baby was still pretty gooey.

Angela must just not have wanted to be left out so she had her own red girl. This one is a fading red and will end up sort of a pink/apricot like Taffy did.

So now I am done with goats and have had nothing but girls for 2 years in a row. Good job boys! I'll take out my real camera and get some better pictures this afternoon.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I thought she was fading red but this little girl might actually be a taupe/silver brown. She's very sweet :kimchi:

Redhead is still loud and ornery. Good thing she's cute.

The romeldales do nothing but eat and sleep.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I cannot wait for babby videos of hopping and meeeeh ing, look at those cute faces!

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
SO CUTE !!! Thank you for sharing the awesome of your herd.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

skoolmunkee posted:

I cannot wait for babby videos of hopping and meeeeh ing, look at those cute faces!

Done. Excuse the cormos having a tantrum in the background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoYwM2nfQPU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Instant Jellyfish posted:

OHMYGOD, they are just adorable! You mentioned earlier thinking one of the females had 'stolen' the baby only to find out it was her own. Is that something that happens often. A female stealing the baby of another?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Look at those tails go :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

piscesbobbie posted:

OHMYGOD, they are just adorable! You mentioned earlier thinking one of the females had 'stolen' the baby only to find out it was her own. Is that something that happens often. A female stealing the baby of another?

It doesn't happen often but sometimes if goats or sheep give birth close together one will be in early labor and full of hormones so she thinks another girl's baby is hers and will try and steal it away. Some girls are just baby crazy even if they aren't about to give birth too. It can be an issue if they don't have milk yet but won't let the baby go back to its original mom.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Easter lambs!

First Thistle, who I sold to a nice lady down the road, lambed this morning and I went out to make sure everyone was doing well. She had a big giant set of twins, a boy and a girl.

Then I went to do one last barn check before bed and saw Aster had a set of twins herself. Unfortunately she decided to have a water birth and deposited them straight into the water trough but I fished them out, dried them off and they seem to be ok now. She also had a boy and a girl.

The rest of the babbies are growing like weeds too.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Whaaaat? How long were they in the water?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Whaaaat? How long were they in the water?

I checked in about 10 minutes after they were born just by coincidence because I didn't think she was going to have them for a few days. I think she actually had them right next to the water trough and her nesting built a little ramp into it and they wobbled in. They hadn't been in for long and the water was shallow but they were pretty chilled. Both have nursed now and are sporting matching red plaid jackets to stay toasty overnight.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The aquababies are doing well this morning and Moose conveniently waited until I started handing out breakfast to go into labor.

She had a giant 10 lb ram lamb and I thought she was done because that's a really big baby.

But no, she popped out another 8 lb boy. He's yellow because he must have been stressed during birth and pooed on himself.

They're inbred little yokels and have pretty big overbites but that shouldn't impact them too much. The bigger issue is that Moose doesn't have any milk so the little hapsburgs will get some assistance from bucket mom.

Meanwhile the little romeldales have decided they can eat a hay like the big ships and for some reason I think its the cutest thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qzrGwg8Lbw

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Dang, Moose! :stonk:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Ms. Moose! gee whiz! That was a lotta baby weight in there! All your little ones are just too freakin' cute InstantJellyfish. Again, thank you for sharing. I swear, the best thing to cure a bad day is to look at those baby farm critters. Love to hear the background bleats too :)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I was just made aware of this thread.

It is awesome.

Thank you for your time.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yesterday was a bunday. Gala got sheared and the bungrubs got their nestbox cleaned. I don't think I mentioned it here but there was a mishap with a faulty door latch and a terrible, awful freckledog a week or so back so we're down to just two baby rabbits. They're growing like crazy and starting to look like real bunnies though!

Gala being eaten by her own floof.

They're so soft. So soft!

This white one has always been sort of runty but is making up for it now.

Fatty chunk has eyes now and ears that are starting to have a mind of their own.

Ferretten
Jun 13, 2006
behind tired eyes, behind tired eyes, he is waiting. and knowing our destinies.

Buuuunnns! what do you do with her trimmed fur?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It gets mixed with other fibers and turned into either yarn or batts which spinners turn into yarn. It's super soft and warm and spins up nicely but you need to add some wool to it for memory and strength if you want something you can actually wear regularly.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I realized this morning that I haven't shown you guys Johnnie's lamb.

One the Sunday when the romeldale lambs were born I went out to do barn checks at night and heard someone in labor and thought it was one of the goats because they were the only ones due. I was wrong, it was Johnnie working hard to deliver a dead ram lamb 5 days early just like last year. I helped her out with him and then pulled out this girl who I thought was going to be dead too but was just tiny and confused. Worrying about another Weebles situation I just did the bare minimum of premie lamb treatment and then left her to her mom. If any of my sheep could pull a premie through it was Johnnie and sure enough the little girl was up and walking and nursing in no time. She's almost 2 weeks old now and seems totally normal.

I treated these sheep with every abortion preventative possible. Vaccinations, prophylactic antibiotics, disease testing, anything I could to prevent them from losing lambs at 135-140 days again but having that dead ram born, while sad, finally provided some explanation. There is a rare genetic disorder in jacob sheep where the development of 4 horns, primarily in rams, causes a skull defect that can make the hole where the spine enters the skull too small. The one study I found on the disorder was a bit different than what I'm seeing in these dead lambs but what I think happens is that as the horn buds start to develop 5-10 days before birth in 4 horned fetal rams the skull defect that goes with this disorder damages their spine and kills them. The dead lamb can then cause uterine infection and kill the other lambs or cause them to be expelled early.

Looking back on my notes all the aborted or premature litters involved at least one 4 horned ram lamb and they were all sired by Windsor. It must have been something Windsor carried because I've had 4 horned rams sired by Dennis that have done just fine. I was sure Aster was going to abort again this year because she was bred to Win too but by chance her ram is 2 horned and that saved them. I wish the necropsy I had done last year had suggested it could have been a genetic issue but I'm sure they weren't looking for a rare disorder specific to a rare breed that is presenting differently than the one case study so I can't really blame them. At least now I know that nothing I could have done could have saved the lambs and by bringing in a new, 2 horned ram this year I shouldn't have the same problem again next year.

That's a bummer in a baby thread so have some more cute baby buns. I'm pretty sure the black one is a boy and the white one is a girl.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
You sold Windsor right? What a fucker.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I don't think I mentioned it here but there was a mishap with a faulty door latch and a terrible, awful freckledog a week or so back so we're down to just two baby rabbits.

Major! >:[

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Semisponge posted:

You sold Windsor right? What a fucker.

He started getting really aggressive with my other boys so he got a special invitation to Easter dinner and I feel really good about that decision now. I'm glad I didn't end up sending that problem off to someone else.

He has no shame.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Nice detective work figuring that out! It's sad it happened but it's great that you solved it and it won't keep happening.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

He has no shame.

Lookit dat vicious killer. :3:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

I realized this morning that I haven't shown you guys Johnnie's lamb.

One the Sunday when the romeldale lambs were born I went out to do barn checks at night and heard someone in labor and thought it was one of the goats because they were the only ones due. I was wrong, it was Johnnie working hard to deliver a dead ram lamb 5 days early just like last year. I helped her out with him and then pulled out this girl who I thought was going to be dead too but was just tiny and confused. Worrying about another Weebles situation I just did the bare minimum of premie lamb treatment and then left her to her mom. If any of my sheep could pull a premie through it was Johnnie and sure enough the little girl was up and walking and nursing in no time. She's almost 2 weeks old now and seems totally normal.

I treated these sheep with every abortion preventative possible. Vaccinations, prophylactic antibiotics, disease testing, anything I could to prevent them from losing lambs at 135-140 days again but having that dead ram born, while sad, finally provided some explanation. There is a rare genetic disorder in jacob sheep where the development of 4 horns, primarily in rams, causes a skull defect that can make the hole where the spine enters the skull too small. The one study I found on the disorder was a bit different than what I'm seeing in these dead lambs but what I think happens is that as the horn buds start to develop 5-10 days before birth in 4 horned fetal rams the skull defect that goes with this disorder damages their spine and kills them. The dead lamb can then cause uterine infection and kill the other lambs or cause them to be expelled early.

Looking back on my notes all the aborted or premature litters involved at least one 4 horned ram lamb and they were all sired by Windsor. It must have been something Windsor carried because I've had 4 horned rams sired by Dennis that have done just fine. I was sure Aster was going to abort again this year because she was bred to Win too but by chance her ram is 2 horned and that saved them. I wish the necropsy I had done last year had suggested it could have been a genetic issue but I'm sure they weren't looking for a rare disorder specific to a rare breed that is presenting differently than the one case study so I can't really blame them. At least now I know that nothing I could have done could have saved the lambs and by bringing in a new, 2 horned ram this year I shouldn't have the same problem again next year.

This is really interesting, especially with the context of it being animals we're familiar with. Thanks for posting it. I'm glad you got to the bottom of it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I don't think that's a bummer, I think it's great that you've probably figured out what it is, and it's even awesomer that it won't be a problem in the future! Will you be culling/snipping Windsor's progeny to prevent it from being carried on?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Pile of Kittens posted:

I don't think that's a bummer, I think it's great that you've probably figured out what it is, and it's even awesomer that it won't be a problem in the future! Will you be culling/snipping Windsor's progeny to prevent it from being carried on?

Conveniently he's done a pretty good job of that himself. He produced 3 ram lambs and all are/will be castrated. Of the 5 ewes he's produced for me, Olive is 2 horned and should be safe to breed, her sister Orchid appears to have some neuro defects so she won't be bred and Clementine probably won't either just because she's still sort of small. The 2 ewe lambs from this year don't have horn development yet but if they're 2 horned I can probably breed them safely in the future but I probably won't breed any 4 horned ones he produced.

Thistle, who I bred to Windsor this year and last year, has lambed just fine both times despite having 4 horned rams each time. She has 2 horns so it might only affect lambs homozygous for 4 horns or it might just have something to do with sheep specifically from my main ewe line (Thistle is related but not directly). I think I'm just going to make myself a rule to only breed 2 horned to 4 horned for a while though.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I love your detective work on this. You are a rock star!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

So glad you got another little lamb out of this! She's cute, love that tail. :3:

I found this all pretty fascinating and not much of a downer at all. Thanks for sharing all the details!

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Agreed, I think that's really interesting. Hopefully you feel better about what happened last year now that you have a suspicion of what's been going on, too. Were you able to get a necropsy done on the lamb this year to verify it had the disorder? Or is there any kind of testing you can do on Windsor's other offspring to see if they're carriers?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I didn't send it in but I checked myself and it definitely had a skull deformity. There is literally 1 paper from 11 years ago on occipital condylar dysplasia so no testing is available but I'm going to poke around my pile of skulls and see if there is a difference in sheep from Jazz's line and sheep from the other line I have which might give me some info. I thought about contacting the primary author of the paper and asking some questions about it but between lambing and catching a stomach bug I've had no time to do anything lately.

One interesting thing is that Win was pretty much an outcross. He's from stock brought East from California while my original girls and Dennis all go back to old lines originally brought in from Canada to the East Coast in the 70s. I was worried my sheep were getting too closely related so I wanted some fresh blood. I'll have to snoop around the jacob sheep breeder listserv and see if OCD is more common out West and I keep meaning to email Win's breeder to ask about it. He and his wife are both geneticists so they might have some insight.

Glad you guys thought it was interesting!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I think it's great you don't mind educating us. So many people out there want to start their Hobby Farms and never consider the hazards of in-breeding and all that other stuff. They really should be taught this stuff you tell us about so they keep the breeds strong and healthy. Thank YOU InstantJellyfish!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

... but I'm going to poke around my pile of skulls and see if there is a difference in sheep from Jazz's line and sheep from the other line I have which might give me some info.

The most metal words! Now you just need a skull throne.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Lynza posted:

The most metal words! Now you just need a skull throne.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SHEEP (skulls) FOR THE SHEEP THRONE!

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

I didn't send it in but I checked myself and it definitely had a skull deformity. There is literally 1 paper from 11 years ago on occipital condylar dysplasia so no testing is available but I'm going to poke around my pile of skulls and see if there is a difference in sheep from Jazz's line and sheep from the other line I have which might give me some info. I thought about contacting the primary author of the paper and asking some questions about it but between lambing and catching a stomach bug I've had no time to do anything lately.

One interesting thing is that Win was pretty much an outcross. He's from stock brought East from California while my original girls and Dennis all go back to old lines originally brought in from Canada to the East Coast in the 70s. I was worried my sheep were getting too closely related so I wanted some fresh blood. I'll have to snoop around the jacob sheep breeder listserv and see if OCD is more common out West and I keep meaning to email Win's breeder to ask about it. He and his wife are both geneticists so they might have some insight.

Glad you guys thought it was interesting!

I live vicariously through you and the genetics of it all just make it that much more awesome. Post all the things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Earlier this month I was talking to my mom and brought up that I've never had a lamb present wrong. She told me I should knock on wood and boy was she right.

Page was in labor all day yesterday but not being particularly serious about it. She's a first timer and sometimes they spend a long time in prelabor so I wasn't worried. Around 5 I went in and she was pushing hard and had mucus but nothing else. No water bag, no feet, nothing. I went in to feel around and found a big giant head wedged in her cervix which hadn't dilated enough to get the rest of the lamb out. A little more digging and I found one foot but the lamb was seriously stuck and no amount of sheep fisting was helping. So I called in the vet who thankfully was only about 25 minutes away.

The problem was that the lamb presented head first with one leg forward and one tucked behind. Usually the legs present first and cause the cervix to dilate enough for the head and then the shoulders and then the rest just falls out. The vet and I had to take turns digging around for the leg that was back and eventually we got a makeshift twine lasso around it and pulled both legs out but the head was stuck. Neither of us felt the lamb move or twitch or suck our fingers at all so we assumed it was dead and the vet used the jaw to pull the lamb out because there was really nothing else to pull.

When the lamb was out it was very still for a moment and was bloody and bruised and gross but turned out to be alive but now had a broken jaw. We had a serious conversation about whether or not it would be better to just put him down right then but we came to the conclusion that it would be a shame to not even give the little guy a chance after he survived that ugly birth. The vet said if anyone could keep him alive it was me ( :3: ) and that he felt really bad about breaking the little guy. Also that next time I should tell my ewes to give birth during business hours so he wouldn't have to add on the $60 emergency fee.

I got the big boy (8 lb 11 oz!) all doctored up just like I've done for my premies. It took a while for the bleeding in his mouth to stop but he started walking and looking for the teat right away. I tube fed him colostrum but he seemed to be able to nurse a bit too. Today the swelling had gone up a bit and he was feeling a bit hollow so I've tubed him a few more times but he's warm and perky and walks around so I think he's going to be ok for now. I'm hoping his jaw will mend and the swelling will go down soon because if he's not able to nurse long term we might still have to put him down but at this point he seems to be doing really well considering. Page is very sore and swollen too but being an excellent mom.

Here he is in his nice little jacket looking a little less like a losing boxer this evening.

Eclair and Maddie are due any moment now and hopefully they don't have giant babies like the other cormos.

• Locked thread