Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

I've been a primary caregiver for kids for long periods of time, infants and toddlers.

that's just because nobody else cares for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that's just because nobody else cares for you

That doesn't make any sense. I haven't been a toddler for over thirty years.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

quit posting like one

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

your posting betrays you mr cmos

e: beaten like a Pittsburg at sports

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to get one of the front door auto locks but I've got a locking screen door in front and there doesn't seem to be much for them

Apr 7, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

quit posting like one

My posts are the best in the forum.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

I've been a primary caregiver for kids for long periods of time, infants and toddlers. They never made my hands fall off.

lol raising someone else's kids

Apr 7, 2003

haha, yeah, gently caress those kids, they deserve to suffer right

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
i've been thinking about getting a roomba cause my carpet is hella crumby and i'm too lazy to vacuum more than like once a month. i have cables running all over the place though, will the roomba be able to roll over those

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the roomba will eat your cables

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

they're spending time with you so....

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i've been thinking about getting a roomba cause my carpet is hella crumby and i'm too lazy to vacuum more than like once a month. i have cables running all over the place though, will the roomba be able to roll over those

it should roll over them but they also have cable-eating detection so they stop if they catch a shoelace or something

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

calm down aatrak

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

if they're thin or if the ends are lose it will eat them and probably choke on them and you'll have to pull them out. power cords plugged into the wall it should just roll over.

clean up ur hovel a little and it will be fine.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Have roombas improved a lot in the past decade? My parents had one around 2005 and it was pretty gimmicky then. Basically the faster they can get Rosie from the Jetsons the better.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Tiny Bug Child posted:

if ur too lazy to vacuum at least do somethign about running cables properly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Hed posted:

Have roombas improved a lot in the past decade? My parents had one around 2005 and it was pretty gimmicky then. Basically the faster they can get Rosie from the Jetsons the better.
from the 500 series to the 700 series it doubled or so in battery life and also the vacuum is better.

if you get one get 700 series

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Or you could get the neato botvac that someone actually put a bit of effort into creating the software for, they have LIDAR scanners on top that map your room and gradually create a strategy for cleaning every part of it. It's fun to watch it clean, it has to stop from time to time just to take a breather and think about the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf1zY8vRC2E

The roombas are dumb as bricks in comparison, they run around semi-randomly, doing timed switching between edge following mode, spiral cleaning mode and random lines.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Citizen Tayne posted:

You also need the weigh the negative effect on the dignity of other household members that comes with being forced to use assistive devices for the handicapped, when they're perfectly physically capable.

this is how i feel every time i use an escalator

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

error1 posted:

Or you could get the neato botvac that someone actually put a bit of effort into creating the software for, they have LIDAR scanners on top that map your room and gradually create a strategy for cleaning every part of it. It's fun to watch it clean, it has to stop from time to time just to take a breather and think about the world.

The roombas are dumb as bricks in comparison, they run around semi-randomly, doing timed switching between edge following mode, spiral cleaning mode and random lines.
That's pretty neat. Sounds like the effort was more hardware than software, though; SLAM has been around for decades, and so have path-finding algorithms built for it, but conventional SLAM-appropriate LIDAR units are huge, bulky, and cost hundreds of dollars all on their own.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Smythe posted:

a good smart home thing would be a roomba brain attached to a 5hp wet dry shop vac. quit loving around and get serious

dyson is making a robot vac that looks like it will actually be a decent vacuum

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

~Coxy posted:

dyson is making a robot vac that looks like it will actually be a decent vacuum

something something finally a robot vacuum that doesn't suck

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

error1 posted:

that's real cool except that they clean worse than roombas so lol forever

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

It turns out that the reason almost nothing is shipping yet for HomeKit is that, as predicted, BT4 is a loving horrible choice for a home automation protocol. Because it was never meant for things like handling locks or other security devices, Apple has tried to shoehorn 3072-bit encryption on top of it. The result is that any hope of a low-power option is out the window and everyone is scrambling to make their locks not take SEVEN FUCKIN MINUTES to respond. It's a problem you can just throw hardware at, but now your battery life is measured in days instead of years.

This is Apple through and through. The industry has low-power mesh-capable secure solutions widespread in existing systems across the world (for example, ADT now uses Z-Wave for all their installations). But why use an existing standard when you can use fuckin' BLUETOOTH BABY!?

If you have a problem, and your answer to your problem is "bluetooth"... now you have two problems.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

agreed. apple sucks

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Visual GNUdio posted:

But why use an existing standard when you can use fuckin' BLUETOOTH BABY!?

If you have a problem, and your answer to your problem is "bluetooth"... now you have two problems.

because the only other answer they ship hardware for today is "wi-fi"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

no worries they can just make a z-wave dongle that plugs into iphones, right? that would be super successful

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

qirex posted:

no worries they can just make a z-wave dongle that plugs into iphones, right? that would be super successful

Or do what literally every other vendor on the market does, and bridge from IP on ethernet/WiFi to your home's low power mesh protocol. It's tested, and it works. But lol why do that when you have BLUETOOTH!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

aren't those bridge things the worst part of all those systems?

plus consumers hate stuff like that, sonos used to require a bridge box [you can still use it if you want superior music only netowrking] and when they got rid of that requirement people were super happy

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The only bad part about bridges is that nobody ever manages to agree on an open standard so your smart house will inevitably have 10 different bridges handling one thing each.

I have a bridge for my Harmony remote, a bridge for my Philips Hue, a bridge for my bathroom scales, a bridge for the Utility power meter. The z.-wave and Nexa protocols are handled by USB dongles on my home server but you can get bridges for those too!

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

qirex posted:

aren't those bridge things the worst part of all those systems?

plus consumers hate stuff like that, sonos used to require a bridge box [you can still use it if you want superior music only netowrking] and when they got rid of that requirement people were super happy

If you want the house to automate in any manner, you need something that is always connected to control it. For example, if you want the front lights to come on at sundown and then turn off 3 hours later, some box somewhere makes that a reality. In the case of HomeKit, that's likely to be an Apple TV3 (or whatever is next). So, there's still a hub involved.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

error1 posted:

The only bad part about bridges is that nobody ever manages to agree on an open standard so your smart house will inevitably have 10 different bridges handling one thing each.

I have a bridge for my Harmony remote, a bridge for my Philips Hue, a bridge for my bathroom scales, a bridge for the Utility power meter. The z.-wave and Nexa protocols are handled by USB dongles on my home server but you can get bridges for those too!

Well get ready to add one more because lol Apple proprietary extensions to BT4 and MFi authentication chips.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

As a Millennial I posted:

agreed. apple sucks

:agreed:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

error1 posted:

ZigBee seems to finally be fixing this. At the very least, nearly all the new wirelessly controlled lighting stuff is mutually compatible; I've been using GE Link bulbs with my Hue hub for ages, Osram's Lightify line should work as well, etc. Helps that it's not proprietary.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Ralith posted:

ZigBee seems to finally be fixing this. At the very least, nearly all the new wirelessly controlled lighting stuff is mutually compatible; I've been using GE Link bulbs with my Hue hub for ages, Osram's Lightify line should work as well, etc. Helps that it's not proprietary.

Even better is that ZigBee is a mesh protocol, so each device you add increases the reliability of the entire network. I think it's crazy that Apple isn't heading this direction. It's fast, it's secure, it's open. I won't say it's proven because ZLL profile devices have only been around for a couple years (starting with Hue) but so far so good as far as ZigBee is concerned. I still don't care for smart lights until smart switches are smart enough to control them in a smart manner, but that doesn't have anything to do w/ ZigBee .

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

And so it begins: Apple is pulling Nest from it's stores. Apple loved loved loved Nest, then it became a Google property, and now Google is apparently refusing to sign on to Apple's ridiculous requirements for HomeKit (the audit requirement is a big deal for large corps). So now, hey remember that cool looking thermostat you bought from us? Yeah well gently caress that we want somebody to pay us even more money.

They're now pushing ecobee3, which honestly is a great choice and it's better than Nest anyway. Still, dick move to bail on the customers who already bought a Nest from them. What's more, they've already suggested that they are going to somehow allow for existing Hue users to hook into HomeKit despite the fact that the hub doesn't have the MFi chipset. So this is a pure business decision, not a technical requirement.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this will inconvenience literally nobody

still lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

isn't making business decisions like the thing that companes do, by definition?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
no when your competitor buys a product in a market you're trying to capture in its infancy you're supposed to support them because uhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

easy, just upgrade a $250 thermostat every couple years. welcome to THE SMART HOME!

• Locked thread