Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
didnt tori install carpet over hardwood

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

really cheap, nasty nylon carpet is good

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

yep he's resorted to doing weird things irl to troll us

hardwood + throw rugs ftw

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

yep he's resorted to doing weird things irl to troll us

hardwood + throw rugs ftw

rip tori, died of irony poisoning

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

that's the dumb home thread

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

error1 posted:

I have a bridge for my Harmony remote, a bridge for my Philips Hue, a bridge for my bathroom scales, a bridge for the Utility power meter. The z.-wave and Nexa protocols are handled by USB dongles on my home server but you can get bridges for those too!

Chuck Palahniuk's prose has really gone downhill.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
so what can i actually do with a "smart home"

what are these gadgets for

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

escaping the tyranny of light bulbs that are only one color or not being able to open your curtains from work

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the pure convenience of being able to pull out ur phone, load up an app, check to make sure that the service can phone home, check for firmware updates, and then allowing u to turn a lightbulb on and off. maybe. sometimes it doesnt work

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
smarthomes are the dumbest poo poo ever and the only reason it exists as a market is because nerds deep down want to be captain loving picard

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

smarthomes are the dumbest poo poo ever and the only reason it exists as a market is because nerds deep down want to be captain loving picard

are you going to sit here and tell me dont want to be captain picard?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Smythe posted:

are you going to sit here and tell me dont want to be captain picard?

of cours ei do but wifi connected doorlocks ain't gonna get me there

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
picard was the best captain

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Cold on a Cob posted:

riker was the best chair-mounter

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

wrong it was sisko

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
being able to set a bunch of events based on wake, leave, return, sleep will be p. cool if it works

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
The only event that works reliably with my Hue lights is turning off/on when I play/pause videos on XBMC. Which is pretty neat.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ralith posted:

The only event that works reliably with my Hue lights is turning off/on when I play/pause videos on XBMC. Which is pretty neat.

this would be really cool but i'm not having led nerd poo poo lighting my house

are there smart dimmers for proper incandescent lamps?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

LXConsole

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mostly they break and keep your loved ones from doing essential things like operating doors or turning on lights

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i had an internet facing thermostat when i moved in and it kept getting attacked and crashing, idk who was doing it but i unplugged the cat6 cable after setting up some basic timers and now it works fine.

kill all networks

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

The Wink deathwatch continues apace - Quirky/Wink CEO just "stepped down": http://blog.quirky.com/home/2015/7/31/the-least-important-ex-ceo

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i set up a soil moisture monitor to e-mail me to water the plants. except now it just keeps sending me e-mails telling me about the wonders of the soil, and keeps instructing me to go into the hole my roombas have dug and "become one with the earth"

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
report: i am very moist

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what you are after is a smart switch. there are many.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Just popping by to say that I'm spending this lovely Tuesday morning performing another factory reset on my Vera 3 controller because disabling the built in WiFi/DHCP turned on a stateless firewall and now I can't do anything other than ping the blasted thing.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
p.s. the smart home is a myth

much like the american dream and self organizing anarchism

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

target set up a "home of the future" showroom full of smart things and it's basically pointless crap and some sonos [which actually rules]

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Can't argue with that, Sonos is pro as gently caress

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I decided to buy no less than 5 lenovo a7-40 android tablets to use as wall mounted smart home controllers, they were practically free at around $50 each

It's harder than I thought to find a launcher that lets you automatically cycle through the home screens on a idle timer though. Looks like it's going to require root and a bunch of tasker scripting :(

At least the IP Camera Viewer, Netatmo and Openhab apps are all pretty great though!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
How are you mounting and powering them?

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

I'd be very interested in a solution for wall tablets that didn't look like garb. You got pics of this setup?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Visual GNUdio posted:

Can't argue with that, Sonos is pro as gently caress

agreeing with this. I just found out I get 50% off the Play 3 through work (it's definitely a glitch) so it looks like I'm completing my setup for Sonos early.

my only gripe with Sonos is I wish they had a cheaper soundbar for other rooms.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Yeah the Sonos is rad. It is fairly straightforward to hack on top of too. I've experimented a bit with having my Vera controller use the Sonos for audio feedback when it takes actions.

Speaking of the Vera after my upgrade it promptly forgot about every Z-Wave device in the house. I'm waiting, probably in vain, for support to unfuck it for me. Just in case they don't I borrowed a ladder so I can actually get to every Z-Wave device to re-add them.

If this poo poo keeps up I'm probably going to switch to OpenHAB. At least then I'll be able to submit patches when the system goes all clown shoes on me.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

gadgethugs posted:

Speaking of the Vera after my upgrade it promptly forgot about every Z-Wave device in the house. I'm waiting, probably in vain, for support to unfuck it for me. Just in case they don't I borrowed a ladder so I can actually get to every Z-Wave device to re-add them.

oh christ. smartthings hub v 2 is coming out and won't offer an upgrade process, so manually excluding and including a bunch of hard to reach poo poo while attempting poorly (or un) documented button combinations is in my future here.

on a related note, if you have a bunch of smart poo poo and post about it on the internet, people start sending you beta devices. i have an expensive logitech thing that isn't released yet that i can't talk about and just got an invite for the smartthings v2 beta (no secret there as it's publicly announced). yay free hardware!

too bad sonos doesn't seem to be on board the SEND VISUAL GNUDIO FREE STUFF train :(

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 7, 2015

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

agreeing with this. I just found out I get 50% off the Play 3 through work (it's definitely a glitch) so it looks like I'm completing my setup for Sonos early.

my only gripe with Sonos is I wish they had a cheaper soundbar for other rooms.

%50 off sonos is fuckin nuts! any chance you can line up a similar deal for the subwoofer? $700 for that thing is just offensive.

the sonos playbar is the one thing in the sonos lineup that i'm a little conflicted about. the lack of DD+ and DTS is starting to become more of a hassle for more people. my use case is entirely wrapped around plex, so fortunately i can have DTS transcoded for me at the server. for most normal users, this means just about every modern audio source is going to be 2 channel only, and sonos doesn't seem inclined to do anything about it.

sonos is and always has been about whole-house audio and they kill it in that space. they probably aren't the best solution for surround sound, except maybe with the Connect as an input to an actual AVR.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Visual GNUdio posted:

%50 off sonos is fuckin nuts! any chance you can line up a similar deal for the subwoofer? $700 for that thing is just offensive.

the sonos playbar is the one thing in the sonos lineup that i'm a little conflicted about. the lack of DD+ and DTS is starting to become more of a hassle for more people. my use case is entirely wrapped around plex, so fortunately i can have DTS transcoded for me at the server. for most normal users, this means just about every modern audio source is going to be 2 channel only, and sonos doesn't seem inclined to do anything about it.

sonos is and always has been about whole-house audio and they kill it in that space. they probably aren't the best solution for surround sound, except maybe with the Connect as an input to an actual AVR.

sadly the company doesn't sell the soundbar or subwoofer, the only one in stock is the play 3. hopefully they didn't figure it out, I made my order earlier this month and it still just says "preparing to ship."

I already put up the money for the play bar and subwoofer years ago anyway (I agree it's expensive). And yeah, even before surround sound I know the playbar isn't the best of best sound of high end audio, but I'm not too picky (I didn't even know about the 2 channel thing) so I'm more than happy, and it integrates really easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sonos needs to make a $300-400 scrub subwoofer, $700 for that thing is bad even by their own pricing standards

• Locked thread