Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Dolomite posted:

dryers belong on top of washers

but then how do u get into the washer???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Visual GNUdio posted:

SmartThings - Z-Wave, Zigbee, WiFi - Kickstarter thing then purchased by Samsung. Big money means they might stick around for a year or two. I know the most about this one because it's what I'm currently running at home. Open web-based IDE but lol it's all some hacked up version of Java called Groovy. Developer friendly platform with a lot of developers which means a bunch of shoehorning poorly programmed things together in awkward ways until you get something to work. The worst part about SmartThings is that it's all in the cloud. Every command your system receives gets sent to the cloud for processing. Want to turn on a light? Press button, wait for it to go to cloud, decide what should be done, packet is sent back to the hub and only then does the hub go and do something. It might turn on right away or it might turn on in 5 seconds or never. It's like a roulette wheel of fun for everything you do!

the biggest problem with this part is it sounds like if/when they give up on that company your lights wont work anymore lol

like trying to play an old game online but they dropped all the servers for it, except its your loving lights at home

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

hey op is there like a 'low voltage' z wave thing? my garage door opener is rly old and it doesn't even have one of those keypads w/ the separate light/door buttons. just doorbell buttons. i know ur supposed to have a motion sensor/sounder thingy but i dont wanna do all that just a z wave momentary switch or w/e.

also is the honeywell lynx z wave stuff poo poo like i assume it is? i should just do the mi casa and keep my alarm system totally separate right?

I have no experience with Honeywell's kit other than that Honeywell is a pretty solid org and they don't tend to jump into things with half-assed solutions and they probably won't be out of business any time soon. It's another closed system, so you get support for the things they support and nothing else. Due to how Z-Wave works, it will probably support most Z-Wave stuff so that's a point in their favor.

In regards to garage door openers, there's a bunch of bullshit wrapped around this area. Chamberlain is sitting on a couple of key patents but their own kit sucks (as noted earlier in the thread). You can hack together a solution with a dry contact (to trigger the opener) and a tilt sensor (to detect what position the door is in) but you can't sell a kit that does all 3 things (triggers opener, reads position, and controls the device) due to the patent. This thing has the sensor and contact you'd need and then relies on a hub to do the actual control, which neatly steps around Chamberlain's patents. MiCasa UI7 now supports this device, and SmartThings supports it out of the box.

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 3, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i went on a few dates with a girl who works at honeywell. she seems smart so i assume their thermostats are smart too

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Valeyard posted:

the biggest problem with this part is it sounds like if/when they give up on that company your lights wont work anymore lol

like trying to play an old game online but they dropped all the servers for it, except its your loving lights at home

Yeah, absolutely true. The reason I'm using SmartThings is because a) I was stupid and didn't realize what a pain in the dick a CLOUD SOLUTION was going to be and b) it has probably the widest device support of the bunch and it's rapidly expanding. The Samsung acquisition means they're in this to win this with deep pockets behind them. The next release (ST 2.0) is due in April which removes THE CLOUD requirement allowing local control without the latency. They're also adding BT4LE to the radio stack and have already committed to integrating with Apple HomeKit. This will be key, because it will allow HomeKit users to interface with Z-Wave and ZigBee devices. As a result, expect HomeKit to move a lot of ST units because your're really going to want Z-Wave or ZigBee if you're going to be dealing with installed devices (not plug-in wall wart modules).

They have the most device support today, they have a clear roadmap moving forward, they are fully open for development, they have a parent company that is obsessed with being in the middle of all your things, and they have a bottomless wallet to support it. As much as I loving hate SmartThings, I feel like it is the least-bad option with everything considered. I cannot recommend buying one today just because 2.0 is coming soon but that hopefully will address the bulk of my concerns.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

we're trying to enter the smart home market at work and im dreading it. i've been setting up a fake smart living room at work with a bunch of crap like hue, ivee (lol), some belkin wemo stuff, idk we're adding a bunch more soon. it all seems pretty crap except for hue, which seems like an expensive toy where the novelty wears off pretty quickly

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what do you guys expect from homekit?

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

fart simpson posted:

what do you guys expect from homekit?

My OP has been updated w/ HomeKit details. In short, not a bad idea but the lack of a low power mesh radio is odd.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Elder Postsman posted:

but then how do u get into the washer???

top-load washers are trash

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Dolomite posted:

top-load washers are trash

:negative:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
oh yeah i forgot about homekit. lol.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
My parents' Nest thermostat locked up while they were away and the emergency heat set point never triggered. You can guess why this might be a bad thing in Chicago right now.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I generally like my nest thermostat but i'm sure im not the only one who turned off the auto-detect if youre out of the house setting within a week of that feature being added in an update.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i'm the one star energy rating

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah, dryers are like that

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pram posted:

gonna install me dryah on the ol wally-doo

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

bookmarked thread for when i get a house so i can make terrible decisions re: it

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
itt people who have experienced cartoonesque mishaps with smart home devices recommend us all to buy smart home devices, as well

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
idk if i would like a smart home cause like i poop and pee and puke in my house all the time and if it was smart enough i think it would get pissed off about me making GBS threads in it on the reg. otoh it might like that kind of thing in which case that's even worse cause now my house is smart and a pervert

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I won't get a smart home until it's like that one in the Black Mirror christmas special.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jimmy Carter posted:

thermostat locked up
the future is wonderful

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

As a Millennial I posted:

bookmarked thread for when i get a house so i can make terrible decisions re: it

put cat6 into your laundry

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bhodi posted:

I won't get a smart home until it's like that one in the Black Mirror christmas special.

there will come soft rains

Twat Nosferatu
Aug 14, 2008

Valeyard posted:

This is why I keep going back to X-10 when I really need something work. They have been around since the 70's (And the styling looks like it too) so long after everyone else has pumped and dumped their companies they will be here. The tech is limited only by the cool (lack of) factor and my laziness. As GNUdio said, everybody wants to come up with their own standard while working with everything but none of them have the staying power to stick with it. X-10 just keeps chugging along decade after decade.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Neil McCauley posted:

This is why I keep going back to X-10 when I really need something work. They have been around since the 70's (And the styling looks like it too) so long after everyone else has pumped and dumped their companies they will be here. The tech is limited only by the cool (lack of) factor and my laziness. As GNUdio said, everybody wants to come up with their own standard while working with everything but none of them have the staying power to stick with it. X-10 just keeps chugging along decade after decade.

Holy poo poo no. X10 is a goddamn unreliable disaster. It makes everything I've discussed here in this thread look like fort fuckin knox when it comes to security and reliability. If you want open, get ZigBee. If you want standard, get Z-Wave. Nobody is installing or recommending X10 at this point, it is a 40 year old mess. No authentication, no status reporting, and no acknowledgement of commands.

I'll write up the various protocol options here in a bit, but jesus christ do not start buying X10 things.

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 3, 2015

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

we must destroy x-10

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Relay boards and cat5.

do it like prisons.

do all your logic with relays so if poo poo fucks up, you hire an electrician to swap out DIN rail relays instead of peering at some loving computer codes and saying "i dunno" after billing you four hours

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Relay boards and cat5.

do it like prisons.

do all your logic with relays so if poo poo fucks up, you hire an electrician to swap out DIN rail relays instead of peering at some loving computer codes and saying "i dunno" after billing you four hours

Yeah man doing Karnaugh maps for your thermometer is going to own, great idea!

Ferr
Sep 27, 2002

Serious Business Orc
College Slice
I have a mi casa verde and a bunch of appliance controllers hooked up to lights. It works pretty ok once I set it all up but I can't imagine anyone without an engineering degree actually getting that far. I'm eventually going to write my own frontend for it so I can roll in other devices that use different technology.

Good thing I am a gigantic sperg who is willing to spend hours so I can turn lights on and off with my phone instead of the method that has worked for 100 years.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 388 days!
i'm going to fill my home with experimental technology so i can spend even more time janitoring it.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
just got a promo email from monoprice... they sell zwave stuff. i dont think i trust a monoprice deadbolt tho

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my dealextreme lockpick set can beat up your monoprice deadbolt

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

rfid locks would be cool, if i'm like carrying smallchild and a bag of groceries or whatever and esp. if it's cold out it's kind of a pain fishing keys out of a pocket.

only problem is u gotta have power to the locks and that makes them lovely and terrible.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 388 days!
- typed with the help of a dealextreme PSU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

just got a promo email from monoprice... they sell zwave stuff. i dont think i trust a monoprice deadbolt tho

you trust hundreds of square feet of home depot glass every night (not taking a shot at YOUR house, just all houses)

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Elder Postsman posted:

rfid locks would be cool, if i'm like carrying smallchild and a bag of groceries or whatever and esp. if it's cold out it's kind of a pain fishing keys out of a pocket.

only problem is u gotta have power to the locks and that makes them lovely and terrible.

keyfobs own

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 388 days!

Elder Postsman posted:

what walks on two legs in the morning, no legs in the afternoon, and then just bolts around destroying your calm all evening.

it is children

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Hey fellow Hue owners, could one of you convert http://www.lmeijer.nl/archives/225-Do-hue-want-a-strobe-up-there.html and http://www.everyhue.com/vanilla/discussion/718/the-strobe-effect to a simple perl script so that i can give all my friends seizures? TIA

The official API has a limit to how many updates you can send per second to avoid killing epileptic people, but there's an undocumented way to get around the limit :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCjXq7aRub4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

PuTTY riot posted:

keyfobs own

if it's battery powered, and cold out, then it might not work. my garage door opener remote is like this, on days when it's like single digit or below zero temps you've gotta warm it up a bit before it will actually register button pushes.

• Locked thread