Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I can answer questions in this thread too, I'm now a purchaser but previously I was a manager as one of the largest trucking firms in the world. When I worked there at maybe a higher level then George Zimmer, I made 6 figures which is pretty common in the industry.

The biggest thing I can say is get to know your drivers, it will help you a great deal as time goes on.

Also Owner/Operators are the biggest suckers in the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

George Zimmer posted:

US based? Does it rhyme with JB Punt? (You don't have to answer that)

Also, go on about the owner operators.

US based on paper, but the maroon and white bulk carrier. jB hunt is a poo poo company.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

George Zimmer posted:

Ah. Pretty sure I know which one. I've heard JB Hunt drivers are a ramp/port's worse nightmare. They have first pick on the good chassis at all our ramps, along with Hub :( We get whatever Flexi-Van or DirectChassis Link vomits up

Let me say that my old company may in fact that single most evil company in existence.

I also was getting JB Hunt mixed up with Swift transport which I'm surprised still exists. The best of the majors to work for is Schneider National but I believe they still only hire ex-drivers to be managers.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

lord1234 posted:

I have a relatively large(for me) item I am trying to ship across the country. It's located in Massachusetts and I am in TX. Size size, its roughly 2 pallets of stuff that needs to be palletized/crated, and then shipped. Who do I call? I'm not a business, I'm just some guy trying to coordinate a shipment. Due to weight, I can't use UPS, so it has to be a freight co. I tried posting on UShip and it seems everyone wants it palletized first, and the shipper won't/can't do that.

Try DHL or whoever replaced them in the US, they are generally cheaper then UPS and FEDEx for a one off LTL

Tree squid posted:

Seeing as the first job you got required a degree, do you find it worth it to pursue a degree in Logistics, or you could get in just fine without one? If I waltzed into the Los Angeles port (Which I would assume is impossible to just "Hey don't mind me!") what's the chance on getting an entry-level job the old school way by asking a manager there? I've got no warehouse experience, but I've been a Dairyman all my life, which has some sort of Grit cred of working hard and not minding getting dirty.

EDIT: Typo

I got my job with a degree in history so...

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Yomofo posted:

Thead bookmarked, holy poo poo did I find you guys on the right day.

I've been working as a Logistics Coordinator for I think a full year now and I got a million questions. We're a 3PL and I'm on the account that works for a store similar to Whole Foods. We get all the fresh to the stores in the AM, and Dry/Frz later in the day/nights. 75 trucks, 150 loads a night, a lot of work.

Long story short, I used to be a bartender, and made friends with a guy who works in logistics. He got promoted so he gave me his old job with zero work experience. I'm not stupid though, and we were just switching to TMW, so everyone else was on my level. Now, I'm one of the best employees there when it comes to fixing calls in the computer and working on orders. I get along with almost everyone, the drivers like me a lot, and I'm crushing it at work on my reports.

Lately, work has been bullshit though. New ops manager, new unnecessary changes. I'm getting my hours cut so they don't have to pay me OT, I'm ready to jump ship.

I'm 31 / Male / Single / No kids. I'm a tall, clean cut, white guy who dresses up well for interviews. I love the chaos of logistics, I like fixing problems. I want to move up the field. I've already networked very well so far, and I have friends who want to hire me, they just don't have positions open yet. Anyone have any suggestions for someone who's kinda young an very new to the game? I'm open for traveling, anything. My boss's wife does Air Freight, which I guess she makes like 3x more than he does it. I know there's money in a lot of spots. I just cant' sit in a cubicle cleaning up TMW calls all day. I like interacting with drivers, hearing their crazy road stories ect.

I hate to say it but you are missing at least a year before you can straight jump into ops.

Look for jobs as a dispatcher (which are super rare anymore) or yardmaster.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

NS has a trucking company? id just pm you but you dont have plat

They all do.

You'll enjoy being part of the CP family soon, sadly they no longer have an airline or a hotel company for really good perks.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

George Zimmer posted:

Thought they gave up on that?

various governments want them to give up on that, not the company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

George Zimmer posted:

CP officially backed off though. I mean, Hunter Harrison could start it back up whenever though I guess. My company used to be owned by Conrail, I think we'd survive a merger if it ever happened.

Its more that the government wouldn't let CP put itself in a blind trust while Harrison ran NS till the merger happened.

• Locked thread