Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

George Zimmer posted:

Just curious, anyone working with the recent Hanjin meltdown?

I work at a small exports company in Australia and we got pretty screwed by this! We had booked months of business at Hanjin rates. The day the news went out, we had 20 containers sitting on the wharf waiting to be shipped.

So of course, all our Hanjin bookings were cancelled immediately along with several upcoming bookings with other lines using their vessels. Then we had to wrestle with the local Hanjin office to get our boxes off the wharf - they initially wanted a $2k deposit per container, in addition to the wharf and customs fees and the cost to reload everything and ship with someone else. Boss told them to get hosed and threatened lawyers, which surprisingly was enough to get our cargo out. I don't know what the legal status would have been if they'd refused to let us collect and the containers sat there accruing storage fees, or whether we'd ever get our money back if we paid the deposit. I'd be interested to know what happened with other shippers who were in this situation.

All in all it has been an interesting few weeks :v:

Bonus: somewhat cringey summary of the Hanjin debacle set to Hotel California: https://www.lloydslistaustralia.com...nia-537109.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread