Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
I work for the other big east coast railroad managing container terminals.

I currently work adjacent to a medium sized container port but we, interestingly enough, handle very little international freight(20', 40', 45' boxes) even though we're technically 'on dock rail'. The vast majority of what we move in any given day is in 53' boxes and a few trailers.

George Zimmer posted:

You'd have to get in with the longshoreman union to work at any port, first and foremost. I'm not totally sure what the job situation is like for the guys with their boots on the ground, but alot of poo poo involving ports or railyards requires special training. Forklift, side lifter, gantry cranes, switchers, etc. all require licensing or cerification of some sort. I'd look into seeing if there's some sort of career training nearby for those things.

Good luck getting into the ILA/ILWU without connections. The ILA, and I assume the ILWU, will provide training for anyone that they accept. The stevedoring companies will then certify these people after they pass a test.

The railroads/lift venders provide varying levels of training programs for new employees. Typically, the training looks something like: classroom, OJT and supervised operation, and a practical examination.

The work is boring as gently caress. 8-12 hours sitting in the cab of some piece of equipment moving chassis and containers around.

George Zimmer posted:

For domestic freight, very, very little. You can put just about anything onto a container, make up a bill of lading for it, and nobody will ask twice unless you state it's hazmat. Imports/exports are a different story though since you need a licensed customs broker to do that, but even then there isn't much. See MisterTurtle's post about the Mercedes.

All containers have a seal on the door that's put there after its loaded by the shipper. Said seal is not to be broken by anyone besides the customer unless something is wrong, such as a suspected load shift (when a dumb shipper doesn't block or brace their freight and it goes all over the place inside the container). Our ramps (railyards where containers are loaded or unloaded from trains) have company police that make sure the boxes have seals. If they don't, they call us looking for authorization to pop the thing open and make sure nothing is stolen. That's really the only time an outside parry will see what's in the box. Otherwise, it could, and typically does, remain completely unknown what's actually inside.

Hazmat is extensively regulated but difficult to enforce. Unless the cops are gonna start pulling over everyone with placards on their trailers, there's really no way to tell if a driver is properly licensed.

Overweight loads is where the government really cracks down since DOT scales are on pretty much every major highway. Driver's operating hours have also become a new regulatory target. DOT can audit trucking companies for potential service hours violations (14 hours of driving, 10 hours of rest. Go over, get fined).

The only time I've seen railroad cops in the yard is when there are a massive amount of boxes getting robbed. Ramp personnel are the ones typically inspecting and recording seal numbers.

I can break the seal and inspect any box that I want. I do not need to ask the customers permission. That being said, we rarely inspect anything other than hazmat, damaged containers or load shifts.

The FRA also regulates hazmat loads and audits my ramp frequently for any discrepancies. State DOT(highway patrol) will occasionally set up checkpoints and inspect every hazmat load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

George Zimmer posted:

Got a question for you, dunno if you can answer but what the hell: one our drays dropped a domestic box off a delivery out at a warehouse pool we manage, but the box/chassis was red tagged. Do you guys let red tagged stuff out the gate? The delivery the dude was coming off of wasn't mine(he was street turning the box to us) so I didn't know about it until I yelled at the dray to go and swap it out, but it seemed strange that the ramp would let a red tagged unit out the gate.

Red tagged, or bad ordered, units will(probably) flag the operating system to prevent an out-gate. However, that requires the ramp personnel to put the unit in b/o status in the computer which may not have happened. Or, the mechanics reported the unit as being repaired but didn't remove the tag or some mixup with box/chassis numbers, etc.

We don't inspect equipment at the outgate so it could have very easily been missed depending on how the terminal is configured and what local processes are followed.

vains
May 26, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Dropping the trailer directly on the tires can cause tread separation or heavy tread damage which can cause a blowout down the line. That driver needs to get his resume in order.

idk if its that dire. i (railyard manager) just do my investigation, ban the driver, and he bobtails out. if there was a risk of a blowout i think policy would require that further action be taken.

vains
May 26, 2004

George Zimmer posted:

Our parent company owns a fancy fishing lodge in Florida and I get to go to it next month. Apparently all the railroads have stuff like this? Fine by me.

NS has a trucking company? id just pm you but you dont have plat

vains
May 26, 2004

George Zimmer posted:

Seconding the 3PL route. Doing this yourself will end in disaster, especially given the somewhat complex nature of what you're doing.

In other news, I got promoted to an intermodal asset planning position with the railroad I work at, so that's nice!

chassis or containers. or are railcars part of that group for your company, too?

i wouldnt want to do any of them.

vains
May 26, 2004

George Zimmer posted:

Containers mostly, a little chassis stuff here and there but that's technically under someone else's jurisdiction. Railcars are not in the picture for my job, thankfully.

containers are easy. identify surplus locations, identify deficit locations(they never change), tell surplus locations to send to deficit locations.

chassis are harder because volumes change month to month. even then, you're just yelling at trac to get chassis where they're needed and fix the broken poo poo.

vains
May 26, 2004

Anphear posted:

They have potential to be super useful in ports/short haul/ yard work and somewhat on around town local runs. But I suspect the best way to operate a fleet would have 1 spare so that you can drop trucks off to charge depending on how low your one is.

1-you dont need a super streamlined truck w/ a laden 0-60 time of 20 seconds for any of that type of work. you need the absolute cheapest truck that will run consistently for pulling boxes out of ports/railyards because you make jack and poo poo doing it, and the driving is all stop/go at the gate and inside the terminal.

2-i'm not an engineer, but i doubt that it would make a good yard jockey. jockey trucks never get up to a consistent speed and stay there. its 0-25, stop, unhook, 0-25, stop back under a box, 0-25, stop, unhook. i don't think that is a use cycle that would maximize the use of a battery's charge. even assuming that they last for 8 hours, that means that the truck isn't available for work on the next shift until it charges. you would need something 1.2x- 2x as many battery powered jockey trucks as you would need diesels. more jockeys= more maintenance, more mechanics, more capital, more depreciation, etc

that being said, the port of la/lb is performing a study on replacing their diesel jockeys with battery powered ottawas because they want to be all electric by 2025 or something.

3-piggy backing off of point 2, the more that you change speed the less distance the battery can move the vehicle before it needs to be recharged. these are 100% meant to pickup a load and get to the highway as soon as possible. ups/fedex might see some value in these moving trailers between sort centers. im not an expert on how they work but i do know that trucks will be sitting for a while during the sorts before the trailers are loaded back up for the outbound run.

vains
May 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

More jockeys only mean more maintenance if the new jockey is equally maintenance intensive. Electrics are pretty simple. Certainly more capex and depreciation, though.

I could see that. The motor units in the hubs would have to be pretty robust to survive jockey truck life. But, they’d probably be way easier to diagnose/swap than a traditional drive train.

The upside to jockeys is that weight is not a huge concern for on terminal work.

Still, the duty cycle isn’t ideal. Constantly accelerating away from a stop has to kill the batteries quickly.

vains
May 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You would get pretty decent regen as well. Hybrids at least perform much better in cities.

The beauty of electrics is that you reduce the number of actual components to like, mid hundreds rather than mid thousands, and there are only a few that are actually moving and subject to stress. Plus, as you say, you'd get a lot of benefit from modularity in your whole M&R process and supply chain.

Hadn’t considered the Regen. Wonder what sort of use cycles they tested the Tesla trucks on.

Still not ideal for pulling boxes out of ports/railyards because those dudes are getting like maybe $30/move. These dudes still drive cab overs.

Uber does truckload now, too. Wonder how big of a cut they take there....

vains
May 26, 2004

watco
g&w
anacostia railholdings

are there any other big shortline holding companies or shortlines worth looking at? further advancement within my company is looking pretty lovely and im getting annoyed with how dysfunctional the organization is.

i thought about amazon but the way they treat the employees really depresses me. ups promotes from within so thats out. trucking doesn't pay as well as what i already do. i'd like to avoid working at a port because dealing with longshoreman is terrible. im not boxed into working for a railroad but i like operations type jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

George Zimmer posted:

I've heard Watco is pretty decent overall, but nothing specific.

my dad works for watco after a short stint at florida east coast. he likes watco a lot but i wouldnt want to follow him there for a variety of reasons.

vains posted:

watco
g&w
anacostia railholdings
omnitrax
iowa pacific

• Locked thread