Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bookmarking this thread. I've been working in a 3PL for about 18 months now. Specializing in flatbed freight but the company also does dry vans, reefer (refrigerated, or temperature controlled as some things are kept warm), and LTL.

Pay depends on your commission but a good broker can probably gross 45K a year where I'm at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I just did a big solas presentation/writeup for my new company. You are totally on the money.

For dude wanting to look at an ops job, don't constrain yourself to an asset based carrier. Look at 3PLs both for domestic trucking and international work (NVOCC or whatever the airfreight equivalent would be).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

George Zimmer posted:

Don't deal with that so much since I work mostly domestic freight, but we get a fair bit of blind shipments and those always seem sketchy.

Blind shipments are just so your customer doesn't go to your supplier (or vice versa) and cut you (the middleman) out.

Well I mean I guess there could be some sketchy other reason for it but I've never thought of one.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's going to be a huge problem because shippers/customers are not going to want to pay more for freight but ELD will naturally restrict drivers actual ability to deliver freight so much that capacity will naturally have to tighten causing rates to go up. Also customers will have to pay for team trucks or realize that tons of poo poo will take additional day(s) transit because of shipper delay/weather/one wreck that strands the truck 5 miles from receiver when his hours for the day expire.

:allears:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Anyone have any companies they could recomend as far as a 3PL? Every website I google looks like it is from the '90s.

I worked for a short time doing Ocean/Air freight but the company I worked for was heavy on Asia > USA trade and did not run Africa. There will be 3PLs (NVOCCs is the ocean term you're looking for) that have a good quantity of business to Africa, that would be who you want to get quotes from and use.

I would recommend seeing if you can get a free trial with datamyne.com and looking at who ships the most TEUs from USA to Africa. Then contact the top 3-5 and work on quotes.

It sounds like you are wanting to handle the cost of the transport which would be FOB terms, buyer in Africa handling the costs would be ex-works terms. The NVOCC will have contacts in America for sure to handle moving the container from your loading location to the port. In general you don't need to buy the containers but depending on the cost to get the container from whatever port to your final destination and back only taking it there may be cheaper.

Doing some quick research it looks like the Port of Beria in Mozambique would be a prime spot for freight into Zambia as they have a rail line to Zambia so the NVOCC would only need to know a trucking company for the last mile from railhead to your consignee.

When you are getting a quote you want to make sure all fees and costs are included. Many NVOCCs may quote you the price to move the container but then tack on bunker (fuel) charges, and other fees without giving them to you in the up front quote. I've seen invoices from a lot of the big companies that do this, but that doesn't mean every agent does this every time. Salespeople are the worst basically.

TEUs are Twenty foot container equivalents. Ocean freight mostly ships on 20ft, 40ft and 40HC (which is a 40ft that's taller), generally heavier stuff has to ship in 20s as they gross out in a 40, furniture usually goes 40HC. Depending on the current market and container need at the other end sometimes you can get a good deal or price equal deal on 40 == 40HC pricing wise.

Sorry for the old rear end reply here, I had stopped subbing to the thread after it was dormant for a long while.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

So what do you all think of the Tesla Semi? :allears:

With their production line issues I honestly wonder if they will make it that far as a company without a massive re-org that drops the semi thing for a time.

But assuming it makes it to production and there aren't major QC issues, the use case of local deliveries and drayage is the most optimal for the terrible battery limitations on distance that you face. I can see it being cost effective on a large scale starting in the major port cities especially on the west coast with the more strict emissions requirements.

What would really interest me is hearing the opinions of actual semi-truck drivers who have gotten to drive the drat thing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

We are regular shippers of LCL loads out of China to USA, and we're getting wrecked on pricing. What are best practices in getting better prices? We mostly ship toys/action figures/some apparel, some has a duty, some doesn't, we're also not always sure what the duty is/how to find.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Are factory terms are usually Ex-works in China.

Get pricing quotes from 2-3 NVOCCs and work from there asking questions about what is this or that charge/line item. They should also be handling the duty for you if you get a good one with customs brokering included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sent you a PM

• Locked thread