Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
I can relate to a lot of the issues in this thread. I was a shipping manager at a small company for 5 years before I moved to Chicago to work for a 3PL. I work in the international department (a total of 3 people servicing reps in over 26 branches) and though the job is stressful/hours are pretty long the pay is ok for someone with a good work ethic and a knack for problem solving. Our company recently (within the last 2 years) started doing international moves so our system is based around the sales rep pool having us book/track/invoice all international loads. Luckily the company realizes how intense the industry is and accommodate to create a better environment to work in (ping pong, good coffee, good free beer distributed at 4 on fridays). My advice is be good to your forwarders and reps, dont bother with trouble loads (lol im not sending your ceramic tiles to syria), and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005

Yomofo posted:

I just got promoted to Logistics Supervisor this week!! I got a nice raise from 42.5k to 53k and I get my bonus back. I beat out like 8 people for it too. I've only been doing this 1.5 years, but I deserved it. I'm already kinda dreading parts of it. I know the 3 people I'll probably be in charge of are the worst of the 4 teams. I'm afraid I'm going to be the punching bag for 2 of them. Any general advice on transitioning from Coordinator to Supervisor would be appreciated.

I'm another 3PL out of Chicago too. SketchyNick, my managers wife does international air freight. He's saying that's where the money is, something international or with customs. Just curious, what's your title/ pay? I work 1/2 the year. 3/4 days a week 12 hour shifts.

My title is international/small parcel account executive. Our team is all salary so we dont get commision but the upside is we dont have to talk to the customers at all just reps. Pay is ok but raises and bonuses are dolled out yearly. I work year round 8-5 monday through friday. The OP life isnt bad.

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
"what you are describing is actually called 'smuggling'" is a far too often comment I have to make

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
*double post

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
Anyone do trade shows? Domestically I can see them being a pain but international is an absolute nightmare. I had to do 3 last month with carnets and the amount of working getting a skid to a convention center on a specific day at a specific time is something I wish upon no one. They GP is always pretty low too considering its usually one skid going air.

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
To the poster asking about getting a load to Zambia, you're going to be hard pressed finding a forwarder willing to accept an inland Africa door to door move. I work for a 3PL in the international dept and only a few of the forwarders in our pool have destination truck leg lanes to certain central African countries. Also from what you are shipping it seems like the consignee is a charitable organization or an individual with no commercial tax presence. This makes it even more difficult because the consignee might not have their own customs broker or the forwarder might not have customs brokerage capabilities in that country.

You might consider shipping up to port and having them handle delivery from there if you cant find reasonable door to door service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
https://hts.usitc.gov/ to see what duty will be for each commodity.

• Locked thread