Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Hint!! It's not a loving Airndoird!! Right from the front page of CNN's piece of poo poo website!

(CNN)A New York man says his smartphone blew up in his pocket and that he wound up in a hospital.

Erik Johnson of Lindenhurst says his iPhone 5C spontaneously erupted in extreme heat while it was in his pants pocket, giving him second- and third-degree burnson his leg the size of a football.

He was headed to a wake for his cousin in New Jersey on February 14, Johnson said, and he dropped his car keys.

"When I went to bend over, I heard a pop," he told CNN. "I heard a sizzling, and I ended up ripping my pants off to stop it from burning me."

Johnson said he didn't know what was causing the pain at first and there was no warning -- just an extreme burn and a lot of pain. In a panic, he quickly started ripping at his pants as the phone began to melt the edges of his pocket shut, he said.

"I was trying to get it out of my pocket," he said. "It started burning right through my pants. It was burning my leg, and I had to get my pants off somehow."

Johnson's brother, who was with him at the time, decided driving him to the hospital would be faster than dialing 911, Johnson said.

They drove to the Bayonne Medical Center in New Jersey. After being evaluated in the emergency room, Johnson was taken by ambulance to the Burn Center at Staten Island University Hospital. The burn center confirmed to CNN that he spent 10 days there receiving treatment.

"I still can't believe it," Johnson said. "I've never dealt with anything like this before."

He works as an operating engineer in New York City, maintaining escalators, cranes and forklifts.

He said now he is at home with family in Lindenhurst, and a nurse comes in every day to change his bandage.

In the meantime, he said, he hasn't even thought about buying a new phone.

Mike Della, a personal injury lawyer on Long Island who is representing Johnson, says despite two phone calls and a letter, Apple had not yet responded to his queries about why his client's phone suddenly exploded in heat.

CNN reached out to Apple, and the company stated that it is looking into the incident.

Johnson purchased the phone last year and had not been using a battery case or third-party charger, Della said.

"First and foremost, we have to find out how this happened and prevent it from happening ever again," Della told CNN. "That's the whole goal here. Is the product safe?"

Della said because of this case, he now is quick to take extra precautions with his phone.

"Now, every single time I have my iPhone, instead of putting it in my pocket, I put it in the seat next to me because of this case," he said. "My wife does the same thing, and so does everyone else at the (law) firm. It's a little scary."

"You shouldn't have to worry about your phone exploding," he said.

You could say he used the wrong kind of phone!! LMAO!! It loving sucks and it so sucks it fucks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
his leg the size of the football? dont see how some burns will make him look any worse :v:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhttps://wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhttps://wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the iphone 5c burns with normal usage.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol that's what he gets for putting a case on his iphone

apple doesn't have any responsibility for damage caused by 3rd party accessories

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
if he is not using a case, why is there a case in the pic

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

op seems to be a real piece of poo poo if op can't operate a simple mobile telephone without it burning ops massive thighs

e: op

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

that isnt a 5c, op

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

du -hast posted:

also if its a 5c why does it look like a 5

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

du -hast posted:

people are dumb

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Got what he deserves for buying a poor phone. Steve himself detonated it from on high

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
this is a baaaad day for apple :(

so close to the keynote too

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
god drat that user name is awesome it breaks the awful app styling lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

this is a baaaad day for apple :(

so close to the keynote too

it's actually a bad day for a human being who gives a gently caress about something being bad for the richest company in history

hopefully they pay him millions in damages

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i hope they get hosed in thie rcollective asses! but not tim!! that sick gently caress would get off on that! i hope he gets hosed by a pussy! hahaha!

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
things like this will be moot once we all have applecare health coverage

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

why are batteries still bad

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
he's very clearly using a battery case in those pics

still, this is another stunning indictment of apple quality under tim's leadership

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

triple sulk posted:

that isnt a 5c, op

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

why are batteries still bad

storing electricity is hard

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Stymie posted:

he's very clearly using a battery case in those pics

still, this is another stunning indictment of apple quality under tim's leadership
we need to make our charging devices/cables/connectors even more proprietary

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
that shitbrain deserves it for having such an ugly case.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
or, y'know, stop cutting corners to save those sweet sweet supply chain dollars

also force johnny ives to make good designs and not market-chasing trash

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

that shitbrain deserves it for having such an ugly case.

quoted poster, aka fucktard retard loser, believes having a phone case he thinks is ugly warrants being severely burned. heres a burn for you: youre a loving moron

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

oh see it says he didn't use a BATTERY CASE like the ones for extra power, but if it's not a battery case why is it so huge and bulk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

duTrieux. posted:

storing electricity is hard

bring forth nuclear powered devices

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

oh see it says he didn't use a BATTERY CASE like the ones for extra power, but if it's not a battery case why is it so huge and bulk

because the iphone 5c is huge and bulky

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Shaggar posted:

because the iphone 5c is huge and bulky

Rating: 2 out of 5

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my mom loves her iphone 5c. she returned her android the second day she had it and got the 5c that still works great :')

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
its nt a battery case

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

PuTTY riot posted:

its nt a battery case

well,

quote:

Battery was defined at common law as "any unlawful touching of the person of another by the aggressor himself, or by a substance put in motion by him."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmbo

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
whoever says that's not a 5c. well you're wrong

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
LP5C ON FIRE

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that guy is clearly a liar, as evidenced by his charred pants

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

whoever says that's not a 5c. well you're wrong

yes the ever rare black 5c.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
if you watch the video on CNN, you can clearly see that it's a white 5c as he flips the phone over and you see the white plastic through a hole in the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

that guy is clearly a liar, as evidenced by his charred pants

hahaha

• Locked thread