Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
:derp: AAAAA IT'S HAPPENING!!! :woop:

Ground zero on this trainwreck (it's loving Drakengard, I'm not expecting anything good except TDI's delivery), I'll be watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Awesome, great to have you back Id!

Even if it is your fault I became a.....fan?.....of this series in the first place.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm so sorry, Id. I tried to spare you from this, I really did, but the goddamn game absolutely refused to record properly. :(

If you guys don't know what's coming, then buckle the gently caress up because while it doesn't ever reach the same peaks of crazy, it is by no means slacking.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I'm wary of the hype machine but your first update made me laugh already, so there's that.

Narrator scroll has some weird-rear end musical notes though. I don't know why that artistic detail bothers me, but it does.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ha ha ha, the boring narrator got killed by the protagonist. How often does THAT happen? I love it already!

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought this game when it first came out and it's terrible but I think it's really interesting. Looking forward to Id to play this poo poo.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
:allears::allears::allears:

Oh man! I actually bought this game just because of the first two LP's (and I think I remembered somewhere that you said you weren't going to LP this one? Don't remember) and man am I ready for another ride on this train.

:getin:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Been getting so hyped watching the prep for this on twitter, can't wait to see the depths of the crazy in this Drakengard!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Id.

Id why.

Id you had finally escaped.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I like this game.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

alcharagia posted:

I like this game.

Me too it's neato. It's bad though.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Me too it's neato. It's bad though.

Yeah same, I'm probably never going to play it again but I didn't regret my purchase, it was a good way to kill time for a week or two.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
drat, forgot to ask- how does D3 compare in quality to the rest of the series?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Id, are you going to be doing any of the DLC? Please say you're doing the DLC, because that's where the game gets the most hosed up.

Source: Artix's avatar.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ah memory. Loved you Cavia LPs and I am looking forward to this one immensely. Never got to play number 3 so I'm going into this one pure and unspoiled.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

CommissarMega posted:

It's not quite as crazy, the actual action feels a lot better to play, but the framerate is atrocious. We're talking single-digits when things get busy.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
It is important to like bad games sometimes, but I still couldn't bring myself to get this one.

TearMk.VII
Sep 6, 2011
This is one of the best dark comedies I've ever played.
Not that it played well. I didn't mind that though.
Hell I even got the platinum and all the DLC.
No I'm not crazy.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

CommissarMega posted:

It's a lot more linear. Less Dynasty Warriors, more 3D beat-em-up with platforming segments. Kinda like Nier, in a few places. The framerate and screentearing is the stuff of legend though.

Speedball posted:

Ha ha ha, the boring narrator got killed by the protagonist. How often does THAT happen? I love it already!

This and Monty Python. So it's in good company already.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
I was babbling all day long to my friends about this being a thing, I can't wait!

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
Why yes, your suffering does feed me
This really is the best way to find out that D3 exists. I had no idea until I saw the thread. Good to have you back Id, shame it's on these terms!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Artix posted:

It's not quite as crazy, the actual action feels a lot better to play, but the framerate is atrocious. We're talking single-digits when things get busy.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's a lot more linear. Less Dynasty Warriors, more 3D beat-em-up with platforming segments. Kinda like Nier, in a few places. The framerate and screentearing is the stuff of legend though.

DarkId truly suffers for our sins :allears: I'm not familiar with console gaming, so would it fix things if it ran in an emulator on a tricked-out PC? I'm asuming it's okay to talk about that sort of thing if the game was legitimately purchased.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I can't wait for the weapon backstories. I'm sitting here thinking up the most depressing poo poo because I know this game is going to top it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Speedball posted:

Realtalk: This is actually a pretty slick way to introduce your game. Its immediately tells you a lot about the tone, setting, and protagonist. If the subtitles hadn't cut off suspiciously, it would have been a surprise as well.

It also tells you that this ain't your linguistics professor's fantasy. *Drakengard 3 busts out some sick chords on an electric guitar, squeals away on a motorcycle made out of dragons*

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

CommissarMega posted:

DarkId truly suffers for our sins :allears: I'm not familiar with console gaming, so would it fix things if it ran in an emulator on a tricked-out PC? I'm asuming it's okay to talk about that sort of thing if the game was legitimately purchased.

D3 is the kind of game where performance can vary from PS3 to PS3 for no real adequately explained reason. Theoretically, an emulator might smooth it out but frankly I think the engine is just poo poo.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Oxxidation posted:

Id.

Id why.

Id you had finally escaped.

There is no escape.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm a little disappointed in myself for not getting around to reading the other Drakengard LP's beforehand, but I guess I'll have to live with it for the time being.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Centuries from now TDI will be a brain in a jar LPing Drakengard 103: Gard of the Drakens written by Robot Taro Yoko.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Neruz posted:

Centuries from now TDI will be a brain in a jar LPing Drakengard 103: Gard of the Drakens written by Robot Taro Yoko.

...Beepy?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

1stGear posted:

Realtalk: This is actually a pretty slick way to introduce your game. Its immediately tells you a lot about the tone, setting, and protagonist. If the subtitles hadn't cut off suspiciously, it would have been a surprise as well.

It also tells you that this ain't your linguistics professor's fantasy. *Drakengard 3 busts out some sick chords on an electric guitar, squeals away on a motorcycle made out of dragons*

There's a few moments in this game like that. Yoko Taro's a fairly good director, and that shines through occasionally. His problem is that pushing the boundaries of society is practically his mission statement, and that makes hiring him immensely risky.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I actually played this one, so it'll be interesting to see how Dark id delivers on..well the Drakengard-ness of this game. Good Luck Id.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am very happy about this good thing

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

alcharagia posted:

I like this game.

You're not alone.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's bad. There's going to be enough of a description of why it's bad as we go through this, almost certainly.

But there's just... there's just something about Yoko Taro's unique brand of batshit which is compelling. The game drove me crazy at times and it never spiked much higher than 6/10 in my estimation but goddamn am I glad that it exists.

The one exception to "it's bad" is the soundtrack, which I consider almost equal to Nier's music; and I consider Nier's soundtrack to be the unqualified best I've ever listened to.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

nine-gear crow posted:

Id, are you going to be doing any of the DLC? Please say you're doing the DLC, because that's where the game gets the most hosed up.

Source: Artix's avatar.

Oh, so that's where it's from. I tried asking, but never got a response.

Also: when I saw the thread I said out loud "holy poo poo, yes" and made a little excited hand gesture and knocked over my soda by accident. RIP lovely keyboard

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Meiteron posted:

But there's just... there's just something about Yoko Taro's unique brand of batshit which is compelling. The game drove me crazy at times and it never spiked much higher than 6/10 in my estimation but goddamn am I glad that it exists.

Yoko Taro is one of those rare insane people who has managed to find a way to channel his madness into a creative\artistic endeavor, allowing other people to get a window into his mind. Such people are extremely uncommon and are to be cherished for as long as they can keep up with the crazy. The things such people create aren't always good but they are usually deeply compelling and often more than a little disturbing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I already love the NPC soldier chatter honed in the fires of the previous two/three games. :frogsiren:

Michael's a pretty big name too. I mean, St. Micheal led Armies and cared for the sick! Or was he the one who guarded the gate? I can never remember amidst all the pseudo-religious jRPG stuff.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It is going to be interesting to see the no creepy discussion rule in effect in a game that is roughly 90% creepy poo poo

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 4, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Don't get why people say this game is bad. Story-wise it's obviously not, and gameplay-wise its mediocre to decent, and fun to play despite the flaws.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is going to be interesting to see the no creepy discussion poo poo rule in effect in a game that is roughly 90% creepy poo poo

It's creepy in a not-bad way tho, mostly.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

EponymousMrYar posted:

Michael's a pretty big name too. I mean, St. Micheal led Armies and cared for the sick! Or was he the one who guarded the gate? I can never remember amidst all the pseudo-religious jRPG stuff.

Well the Archangel Michael was God's strategist and general and defeats Satan at the head of the Heavenly Host during the War in Heaven. Michael is generally depicted as the biggest, most powerful and second most dangerous Archangel (Uriel one-ups him on the danger quotient by virtue of being the wielder of the flaming sword and often also being the Angel of Death, though I don't think that the latter part is technically 'official') so if you find yourself in a setting that is rolling around in Abrahamic mythology and you meet a warrior type dude by the name of 'Michael' you can be reasonably sure that said dude is going to be one hell of a heavy lifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
mike is a dumb name for a dragon, dngaf if it has some dumb biblical meaning or whatever, don't give the dragon a name i'd expect to see on the name-tag of my cashier

• Locked thread