Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

forbidden lesbian posted:

mike is a dumb name for a dragon, dngaf if it has some dumb biblical meaning or whatever, don't give the dragon a name i'd expect to see on the name-tag of my cashier

My cashier's name is Smaug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Oh man, I'm psyched for this one. I 100%ed the original Drakengard long before I knew about the LP forum, and it's definitely left a mark on my mind. I don't think I can stand to play this one, but I need to see how it goes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think the official Angel of Death is Azrael. At least in Islam.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Don't get why people say this game is bad. Story-wise it's obviously not, and gameplay-wise its mediocre to decent, and fun to play despite the flaws.

It's creepy in a not-bad way tho, mostly.

Honestly? No, I'd contend it is pretty bad in both those ways. Trying to talk about it would make this thread look like a CIA document though. :v:

I think one of the things that I dislike the most about it is the game sheepishly admits things like the camera and level design is completely awful but shuffles on anyways because they don't really know how to make it better.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 4, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Different angel, similar job, less potent.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Anatharon posted:

Honestly? No, I'd contend it is pretty bad in both those ways. Trying to talk about it would make this thread look like a CIA document though. :v:

Trying to put a Cavia story into "good" or "bad" is kind of missing the point.

Cavia stories are not so much about being good or not, its about holy poo poo this was a thing that was made and no one stopped them and they sold it and we bought it.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Cavia stories are not so much about being good or not, its about holy poo poo this was a thing that was made and no one stopped them and they sold it and we bought it.

Add "And I enjoyed it", and you're spot on.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah Azrael is the Angel of Death in Islam, Hebrew and Sihk mythology, but in Catholic mythology Azrael does not exist so the title tends to fall to Uriel instead. There's some apocrypha which involves a dude called either Azra or Ezra who gets visited by Uriel and ends up becoming the Angel of Punishment and that's all the showing Azrael gets in the Catholic bible.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Glory hallelujah, he is risen. He is risen indeed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Taro Yoko once said something like he doesn't seek to make depressing or dark games, just ones people find interesting.

And he certainly does that. :v:

Even after all this time I still can't decide if I like Drakengard 3 or not.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 4, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

Add "And I enjoyed it", and you're spot on.

Drakengard 1 and Nier are both prime "this is actually happening" experiences

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Michael sounds cooler to a Japanese person than it does to us. It's why Terra from FF6 was named Tina.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Additional fun Azrael facts: he's gigantic. So tall that if all the waters of the earth were to be poured on his head, not one drop would strike the ground. He has seventy thousand feet, which span the heavens. And his primary job is retrieving the souls of prophets.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Taro Yoko once said something like he doesn't seek to make depressing or dark games, just ones people find interesting.

And he certainly does that. :v:

I feel like working with Taro Yoko is just sitting at your desk when he kicks down the door, screams "LINGERIE WEARING HERMAPHRODITE DEMON LOVE INTEREST", and vanishes.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like working with Taro Yoko is just sitting at your desk when he kicks down the door, screams "LINGERIE WEARING HERMAPHRODITE DEMON LOVE INTEREST", and vanishes.

Vanishes... like, is there a special effect, or does he just fade into the aether?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

Vanishes... like, is there a special effect, or does he just fade into the aether?

Kind of like Batman where you turn for a second and he's gone

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mors Rattus posted:

Additional fun Azrael facts: he's gigantic. So tall that if all the waters of the earth were to be poured on his head, not one drop would strike the ground. He has seventy thousand feet, which span the heavens. And his primary job is retrieving the souls of prophets.

My favorite depiction of Azrael in fiction is the Old High One Azrael in the Discworld, also known as the Death of Universes :stare: and he is described as being so unbelievably gargantuan that he may in fact be the Universe itself.

It's a real pity Azrael got left out of the Catholic Bible, he's one of the more interesting Angels and he tends not to show up in Western works very often as a result of his absence in the Catholic Bible which is sad.

BattleCattle posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And if you stare intently at him and don't give him an opportunity to vanish while you're not looking he just fades away with a TARDIS sound effect.

Slaughterism
Jun 7, 2013

"There be fine booty to plunder!"
Held off on playing this for so long in the hopes that it would come.

The promised day is here.

Praise be to Yoko Taro.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Neruz posted:

And if you stare intently at him and don't give him an opportunity to vanish while you're not looking he just fades away with a TARDIS sound effect.

And in that moment, your vision shifts slightly, like an awkward cut in a bad movie.

Is Yoko Taro turning into an SCP?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Are you planning to play through the DLC?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What sort of fool stares directly at Taro Yoko

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What sort of fool stares directly at Yoko Taro

This is why he wears a mask at press conferences.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not gonna lie, sounds like a p. cool job.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I've been having a bad month. This pretty much makes up for it though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Holy poo poo! You're still alive! And there's more poo poo that needs loving! And the soundtrack is still bitchin'! I am all fuckin' ready for this one!

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Oh good, I just finished reading through the archived lps of 1 and 2 again, looking forward to more hosed up anime bloodshed Id!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I've only heard a few things about this game, but it can be summarized by two points:

1. This game is bad

2. Zero owns bones

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I've only heard a few things about this game, but it can be summarized by two points:

1. This game is bad

2. Zero owns bones

This game is unironically one of my favorite action games. I genuinely enjoyed it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
I'd like someone to keep track of how many times "______ is lovin this poo poo" is mentioned in this thread. Might as well start keeping track now while we're still early on into things.

I kinda need to finish this game, but the non-story elements demand I complete them even I know I shouldn't. I plat'd NIER, it shouldn't be that demanding...I just don't have the heart for it.:smith:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Zero is pretty obviously Caim's great great grandmother or something, I find it difficult to believe they could be so similar without any familial ties :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Zero looks like she should be advertising a F2P iPhone game, and I am already mentally replacing 'Intoner' with 'Vocaloid.' Game's off to a fine start!

This isn't the future I would have wished for you, Id, but I'm glad you're doing it.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How bad would you guys say the frame-rate is? Cause I might wanna play this despite it probably being a bad idea. I'm afraid I might love it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

FauxGateau posted:

How bad would you guys say the frame-rate is? Cause I might wanna play this despite it probably being a bad idea. I'm afraid I might love it.

It can get pretty choppy, but for as far as I've gotten it's not like it's unplayable or anything. Just annoying, really.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FauxGateau posted:

Typically hovers somewhere around 20-ish. Anytime Michael is on-screen or you have a bunch of dudes trying to attack you, or...really, just about anything more demanding than Zero going to town on a few dudes, you're looking at slideshow city.

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008
Playing this game right now, still going to be following the thread. Also, I'm another who unironically enjoys the gameplay.

FauxGateau posted:

As other people said it varies. I've had the game be really good for most of a level, then poo poo itself when magic poo poo starts happening. I've also had the framerate dip to single digits when nothing's going on on screen.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FauxGateau posted:

just wait for the PS4 Drakengard 3 Definitive Edition

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

just wait for the PS4 Drakengard 3 Definitive Edition

I would unironically buy this and get the Platinum. :(

again

E: At least it might have a better framerate. If we're really lucky it might even approach 30!

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
In the old Hebrew/Aramaic/what have you, 'Mik-ha-el' means 'who is like God'. Still agree with the others who argue that a more esoteric archangel name would've suited. My vote is for Uriel, personally.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

FauxGateau posted:

It's fine for the most part but it suffers from the "too much poo poo is happening at once on screen" most 3rd person action games have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I have no idea what's going on but I'll strap in just in case.

• Locked thread