Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I'm not a percussionist, but I do a lot of dancing to some unusual rhythms, so when the song began I tried to pick out the beats. Like someone said earlier, each stage teaches you a different technique, with each one building towards the final boss. I'm trying to suss out the pattern.

Zero: Regular beats.
Five: Syncopated beats.
Four and/or Three: Unusual patterns (?)
Two: Mixing syncopated beats with regular beats.
One: Double beats (those da-dum parts).

I'm probably getting some wrong here. The way I sense rhythm is more instinctual than thought-process, so I don't know the musical terminology and I haven't spent as much time thinking about the mechanics behind the song. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Keep in mind that each intoner not only introduces new beats, but subsequent intoners serve to test what you've learned all the way up to second phase zero.

Zero has a regular camera and basic quarter notes. Simple.
Five introduces a slow pan away from the field, combined with syncopated quarter notes, blending the notes into the background.
Four introduces switching to and from syncopation, and moves the camera parallel to the ground, destroying the depth perception of the note.
Three is the thesis of syncopation switching, and if you are still relying on visual cues beyond this point, you're done.
Two introduces eighth notes, and moves the camera to a useless position. Mikhail looks quite sad during this battle, by the way.
One expands upon eighth notes, and actively tries to distract the player with the rapidly panning camera.
Final Phase Zero introduces tempo gradients, tests your eighth notes, and introduces dialogue syncing. There is no time to adequately prepare for the two concepts introduced in this phase without subsequent playthroughs.

e. The last phase also moves Mikhail to the top of the screen during the tempo gradient phase, so the player who miraculously got to this point by visual cues alone would waste time and concentration trying to find him again.

Thank you so much for this.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
It's always good to see a thread by you, TDI. Thanks for the ride. :unsmith:

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 21, 2015

• Locked thread