Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

In an effort to keep this thread from falling into archives...

I have a couple rolls I shot this summer that I kinda screwed up developing, and I am not sure if the camera's meter was off also, but the negatives came out either over exposed or over developed, or both. Not sure. Something weird happens when I try split grading. If do the shadows first with a 00 filter and it actually seems to develop most if not all of the entire image including midtones but leaves the highlights pure white (as expected). My exposures for the shadows are usually in the range of 15-20 seconds. Then if I expose it for as little as 1 or 2 seconds with a 5 filter for the highlights, it seems to affect the whole image, even darkening the shadows and midtones further. I found it's easier to do the inverse and start with the 5 filter so I get the highlights how I want them, then just a short blast of the 00 filter fills in the shadows nicely. I am probably doing something wrong, but my properly exposed and developed negatives aren't this finicky. Should I experiment with different grades than 00 and 5?

I also tried making BW prints from color negatives, and they came out pretty good. Super long exposure times required, though. Here is A Barn:

:toot:

I also got 11x17 trays and my enlarger is *just* tall enough to project that large. So now I only need to take photos nice enough to justify the waste of paper.

That print looks great, I've been meaning to try printing from color negs especially now that I have some good ones from my Japan trip. What kind of exposure times did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

30 seconds at filter 00 and 4 seconds at filter 5

F11 on a 100mm lens, not sure if that makes a difference. I was also using a 6x9 neg and the print is only 5x7.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

Thanks!

F11 on a 100mm lens, not sure if that makes a difference. I was also using a 6x9 neg and the print is only 5x7.

OK, I was wondering if by long exposure you meant 30 sec or 5 minutes... I'll do some experiments, it'll be kinda different anyway because I'll be doing 35mm, but at least I know the ballpark.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I guess that's relative. I am used to exposures in the 8-10 second range.

According to Ilford, BW prints from color should require exposures 3-4 times longer than normal, so I guess my experience is accurate.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 23, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
It's because you have your grades flipped - 00 will be the lowest contrast, so you use that to get your highlights, not your shadows. 5 is the highest contrast so you use that to get your shadows. It should work in either order (though there are various reasons to prefer one order or the other). Also, if your exposure times with the 5 filter are too short, stop down.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I kinda realized that I mixed something up when I was typing it out. Was waiting for somebody to correct me, thanks for the reminder.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 24, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

Thanks!

It's weird, my prints from color negatives needed less time than the b&w.

B&W neg, f/8 for 15 seconds:

Color neg, f/8 for 5 and 7 seconds, respectively:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well I managed to black out the bathroom, the chemistry still seems to be working (LPD stock developer mixed several years ago still good!) and there's room for the enlarger too. And got loads of negatives to print.

Something odd about the enlarger though... oh, the lens is missing. Where the hell did I put that?

.... an hour and a half later.

I find the lens.

Together with the unshot film.

In the fridge.

Maybe I can do some real enlargements now?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm teaching an advanced darkroom practice class in SF and my first session is tonight. We'll see how well I can school these kids on split filter printing, and whether or not I'll have converts by the end of the workshop.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My 8x10 paper got here today, so I tried some prints. First one of my favorite B&W shots:

Then, after a few attempts I got one of my favorite color shots printed (even with test strips it ended up taking 3 prints to get something I really liked)

The others aren't terrible, I'll probably take one in to hang up at work. The "winning" combination turned out to be 35s at f/5.6 with the 3.5 filter, followed by 2 seconds or so (timer isn't super precise) of f/11 with no filter.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Nice, I need to experiment more I think. I find that even though I am using RC paper, the prints have too little contrast after they've hung to dry for a couple hours vs when I first take them out of the rinse bath. Also I think 3 sheets per print is pretty common. I need to start getting used to using test strips to conserve.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 29, 2015

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

BANME.sh posted:

...I am using RC paper...

Stop this. Knock it off. Really. STOP IT.

STOP IT.

DON'T DO IT.

You kids are the reason I drink.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
It's good for learning.

Plus I picked up about 1000 sheets of it in various sizes, expired, but still works good.

When I'm ready to make actual Art, I'll buy the good stuff.

I actually have quite a bit of Ilfrobrom FB paper, too. I made some test prints with it and it is indeed amazing quality, but I don't think any of my photos are worth wasting it on yet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dumb idea I got: Throw regular laser prints into enlarger and blow up a lot. has anyone tried that? Is it worth wasting time and paper on?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

nielsm posted:

Dumb idea I got: Throw regular laser prints into enlarger and blow up a lot. has anyone tried that? Is it worth wasting time and paper on?

If you're willing to make those compromises, just get inkjet transparencies and make digital negatives.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

If you're willing to make those compromises, just get inkjet transparencies and make digital negatives.

I have plenty of analog negatives in queue to print. I was more wondering if it would have an interesting effect to it or anything.
Maybe enlarge a paper negative for that extra texture...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dumb questions about an enlarger:

I have had an enlarger with Durst M 370 BW head around for a long time but never bothered to set it up due to space constraints.
I finally assembled it this weekend, and notice a few possibly wrong things.

Is the filter tray supposed to look like this?

It looks like there is very little support to keep a filter in place, but I don't have any filters the right size just yet.

More importantly though, it can't be right that you can see straight from the filter tray opening to the lamp, can it? I mean, even when the tray is in place it looks like the light will hit the condenser directly, instead of being forced through the filter. I think there is some inner wall missing?

E: I do have below-lens filters though they're weak. The head also does have a mirror in place to route the right through the condenser.

Finally, would it still be possible to find kits to upgrade it to handle 6x6 or 6x7 negatives or will I be stuck using it for only 35mm?

nielsm fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 1, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nielsm posted:

Finally, would it still be possible to find kits to upgrade it to handle 6x6 or 6x7 negatives or will I be stuck using it for only 35mm?

I don't know your enlarger, but AFAIK for most you only need a suitable negative carrier and a longer focal length lens to enlarge MF.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't know your enlarger, but AFAIK for most you only need a suitable negative carrier and a longer focal length lens to enlarge MF.

On this one, the opening from the lamp house to the negative carrier is only slightly larger than a 35mm frame so that wouldn't work. The condenser (I think it's a condenser?) is sized for that opening too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

loving piece of poo poo enlarger timers.
One I have is an old Soviet-ish thing with horribly unsafe mains plugs, and essentially analog electronic countdown that feels like it isn't entirely properly calibrated.
The other is an Ilford electronic thing supposed to be super fancy, but it uses some kind of really flimsy resistive touch sensing for the buttons and it just fails constantly.

I need something new. (And I have done the manual on-off thing and hate it.)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Is there a European equivalent of Gralab?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

Is there a European equivalent of Gralab?

This maybe...
http://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/darkroom/viponel-labtime-enlarger-timer-analogue.html

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

We use them in college. They're decent.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Got an anthotype (pokeberry emulsion) cooking in my attic window. Based roughly on the current climate here it should be ready by Christmas.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

So I got two boxes of colored paper and no idea how a color darkroom is set up.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
No safety light, and you use CMY filters to balance the colour rather than the Multigrade filters you usually for multigrade black and white paper.

The RA-4 process is a standard process like C-41, so you process the paper identically in the dark for each step, and adjust the colour/saturation of the print through the exposure only.

You'll need this kind of chemistry:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/11812-Arista-RA-4-Color-Print-Processing-Kit-2-Liter

And these kind of filters if your enlarger isn't setup for colour:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/31636-Arista-RA4-Color-Filters-6x6-in.-22-Pack

And then you need to learn all about subtractive colour and how to adjust for colour temperature and tint.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I read that assuming your C-41 film is stored properly, exposed properly, and developed properly, that once you dial in the proper settings for any one type of film stock, you can re-use those CMY settings for any of the same film stock. Any truth to that, or is that just an "in theory, but never happens in practice" kind of thing?

I have everything I need to do RA-4 at home except for the paper and chemistry, but I'll have to do it at room temp in trays and I don't know how successful that would be.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

I read that assuming your C-41 film is stored properly, exposed properly, and developed properly, that once you dial in the proper settings for any one type of film stock, you can re-use those CMY settings for any of the same film stock. Any truth to that, or is that just an "in theory, but never happens in practice" kind of thing?

White balance of each picture.
Assuming a daylight-calibrated film, you'd still get overly blue pictures if you shoot in shade, etc.

I suppose it can be a good starting point, or find e.g. three or four filtrations for one film: Daylight, shade, night, tungsten.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

BANME.sh posted:

I have everything I need to do RA-4 at home except for the paper and chemistry, but I'll have to do it at room temp in trays and I don't know how successful that would be.

You'll need to dial in the CMY for every shot, but if you're working with the same film stock, developed at the same time, you'll only need to make small adjustments.

I've done colour printing with this kit at room temperature, it worked pretty great:
https://www.macodirect.de/en/chemistry/color-chemistry/ra-4/4480/rollei-digibase-ra4-print-kit-for-1l?c=651

Also the Rollei C-41 kits work at room temperature really well too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hi, just wanna say that this paper is really beautiful.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
If I wanted to print a negative as a negative what would I have to take into account with the positive paper?

How does it work with filters? The Harman DPP tech sheet seems to say it's fine, and filters make a difference, but they only show a 3 1/2 filter.

What about exposure times? Am I looking at longer or shorter exposure times? They say the paper is about ISO 1 to 3, how does this compare to regular multigrade paper? I know I could make test strips, but the paper seems quite expensive and I'm in a perpetual state of brokeness.

I've just come into a negative that I much prefer as a negative image in comparison to a positive. I'd quite like to see it printed large in it's negative format. Maybe my first step should be printing the negative from a scan as the negative.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Considering the cost of direct positive paper, consider making an intermediate paper "negative", i.e. a regular positve print of your negative in the final size, then use that for contact printing.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

nielsm posted:

Considering the cost of direct positive paper, consider making an intermediate paper "negative", i.e. a regular positve print of your negative in the final size, then use that for contact printing.

How would I contact print from, say, and 8x10 of a 35mm print?

I have a regular print, but I don't know how I'd turn that into a negative, if that's what you're saying? Or how I could make a 35mm positive from the negative? I presume something transparent would be involved at some stage.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Couldn't you just use a super long exposure through the print?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah you can print through paper prints. It might be best to use a glossy RC paper to get the least paper texture in the contact print, I haven't tried it myself.

Paper negatives are definitely possible.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

nielsm posted:

Yeah you can print through paper prints. It might be best to use a glossy RC paper to get the least paper texture in the contact print, I haven't tried it myself.

Paper negatives are definitely possible.

I've been working on a project shot solely on 8x10 paper negatives and printed in an enlarger. The negatives themselves are very contrasty, but the process of printing through an enlarger reduces the contrast quite a bit, so expect to use a #5 filter.

Eva at the House by Jason, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I took a darkroom printing lesson yesterday and I think I've found my new favourite thing in photography :neckbeard:

We used RC paper and my only really successful print was a 4x5 contact, but I'm really excited about getting back in soon to do some proper enlargements on fiber base and learn about split filtering.

That said: I'm thinking it could be a fun project to shoot some 4x5 portraits and contact print them onto 5x7. I'm thinking something like this would work as a frame, but I don't understand why the Australian website gives different dimensions. As long as the mat (/mount) size opening is the same (12 x 17cm) I should be alright, yeah? (Apologies if this is more a General Questions question, just wanted to tack this onto my gushing about darkroom printing.)

[edit: posted the wrong link to the Aussie website, fixed

rohan fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 17, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

13x18 cm is the name of the sheet size. So the paper can be kept in place by the passepartout, the opening obviously has to be slightly smaller.
The actual measurements of Ilford 13x18 cm paper is 12.7 x 17.8 cm.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

nielsm posted:

13x18 cm is the name of the sheet size. So the paper can be kept in place by the passepartout, the opening obviously has to be slightly smaller.
The actual measurements of Ilford 13x18 cm paper is 12.7 x 17.8 cm.
Thanks, it just threw me a little bit that the US Ikea site lists mat measurements and the Aussie store only lists "mount openings" (and the frame size is slightly different in both directions). I guess mat, mount and passe-partout are all equivalent terms here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

rohan posted:

Thanks, it just threw me a little bit that the US Ikea site lists mat measurements and the Aussie store only lists "mount openings" (and the frame size is slightly different in both directions). I guess mat, mount and passe-partout are all equivalent terms here?

Yeah, different terms for the same thing.

• Locked thread