Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Spedman posted:

Docklands by mr_student, on Flickr
Everyone's probably already seen me post these in the film thread, but it's made using the Argyrotype process. I chose Argyrotypes as there really easy to make, the working solutions has a very long shelf life, the developer is just water the fix is sodium thiosulfate and you can tone it with almost anything. You also don't need a real dark room, a bathroom with the blinds drawn and a halogen/tungsten light overhead is fine, just no UV. I'd highly recommend it for people looking to get into alternative processes. The only issue is making sure you get the right paper to work with, which there are lists of online.

Is that the natural tone of argyrotypes or did you tone it with something?

I've done some cyanotypes and experimented with toning:

Untoned:

Green tea (5 minutes):

Green tea (30 minutes):

Black tea (2 hours):

I've never had any luck bleaching them, so I just skip that step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

These all look really good, I especially like the 30 minutes green tea.

What paper did you use?

My cyanotype kit should get here tonight... they say you shouldn't leave the mixed chemicals sitting around unused, but once you've applied it to the paper is it ok to store? I was thinking I could mix some up, paint a bunch of sheets of paper, and then keep them wrapped in black plastic in the closet as I work my way through them.

Thanks, green tea has been my favorite so far. I still want to try coffee and wine though.

I use Strathmore Bristol paper with 'vellum surface', haven't had a sheet rip when wet yet. I'd like to try a paper with more texture though.

I don't know how long the prepared sheets will hold up, I've only left them out overnight.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I use Strathmore Bristol paper. I've never felt like it was going to tear while I was washing it and it has a very little texture on the paper (which could be a negative too I suppose).

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 10, 2016

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Does anyone know of a place online that can do large prints on transparencies? I'd like to try some big cyanotypes.

• Locked thread