Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2013/10/adbusted/ posted:

If a key insight of environmentalism was that external reality, nature, could be polluted by industrial toxins, the key insight of mental environmentalism is that internal reality, our minds, can be polluted by infotoxins. Mental environmentalism draws a connection between the pollution of our minds by commercial messaging and the social, environmental, financial and ethical catastrophes that loom before humanity. Mental environmentalists argue that a whole range of phenomenon from the BP oil spill to the emergence of crony-democracy to the mass extinction of animals to the significant increase in mental illnesses are directly caused by the three thousand advertisements that assault our minds each day. And rather than treat the symptoms, by rushing to scrub the oil-soaked beaches or passing watered-down environmental protection legislation, mental environmentalists target the root cause: the advertising industry that fuels consumerism.

loving lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yeah next thing you're going to tell me is that awareness of depression, it being less stigmatized by this generation, and the willingness of doctors to perscribe anti-depressants as a catchall drug have nothing to do with those numbers

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

orrr the fact that the list of what covers the definition of depression grows every couple of years

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
maybe ..?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

yeah next thing you're going to tell me is that awareness of depression, it being less stigmatized by this generation, and the willingness of doctors to perscribe anti-depressants as a catchall drug have nothing to do with those numbers

sounds like something someone responsible for causing mental illness would say

are you in bed with big pharma pagancow?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

works fine as long as you do a Stan Lee voice :allears:

lol if you know what "a stan lee voice" is

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

infernal machines posted:

sounds like something someone responsible for causing mental illness would say

are you in bed with big pharma pagancow?

No

but come on

http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-report/major-depression/%20depression-statistics.aspx

depression is closely linked to divorce. so now you're telling me ads are causing higher divorce rates?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

depression is closely linked to divorce. so now you're telling me ads are causing higher divorce rates?

i would tell you ads are linked to increased cancer rates if i could invent find a stat to back it up

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Agreed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you believe ads directly influence human behavior then the cancer link is easy since tons of advertising is for junk food and alcohol which are both linked to negative health outcomes including cancer when consumed in large quantities

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

if you believe ads directly influence human behavior then the cancer link is easy since tons of advertising is for junk food and alcohol which are both linked to negative health outcomes including cancer when consumed in large quantities

isnt there clear evidence that they do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

i would tell you ads are linked to increased cancer rates if i could invent find a stat to back it up

if coke spends billions on ads to retain their position in the food chain, then ads have to work. they wouldnt bother otherwise

drinking soda is correlated with opbesity

do coke ads make people fat.. indirectly../

also those same companies have people on nutrition boards etc being the devils advocate against banning sugar etc so yeah

ads kill. apple ads in aprticular are the worst

the only ads that are good? microsoft ones

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

pagancow is literally killing people

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hey it's Echi

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Boxturret posted:

pagancow is literally killing people

that's what i've been saying this whole time.

the thread title takes on a sinister new meaning in this context

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

okay so if we follow this logic then the kid who blew up Boston isn't guilty, because his brother pressured him into killing all those people.

That's what his defense is saying

annnnd it probably wont work

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you are responsible for your own actions in america and if you cant handle that then i'm sure there is a country out there you can move to if you cant be responsible for taking in what people tell you and processing it on your own accord

also i only make ads for america so apparently we get away with a lot more than other countries?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

that article you linked is silly

"ads are the problem because they can influence people to do things I dont like! I should influence those people to do what I like instead!!!!!!!"

loving lamo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes you are reasonable for your actions but ads can make people do things they weren't going to do before

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*hires a hitman to kill owrson*

"um I'm not guilty he was the one that killed the person im not responsible for his actions"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ads are morally repugnant

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
how would you stay abreast of currently available products and/or services that may be of interest to you without ads though?
think this thru now...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
word of mouth

nah ads aren't inherently bad but using psychology to make people buy things they don't need or want is wrong, no?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

word of mouth

nah ads aren't inherently bad but using psychology to make people buy things they don't need or want is wrong, no?

but word of mouth is the most morally reprehensible ad since its the strongest influencer in a persons decision to buy/not to buy

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

CASH 4 GOLD IS OK BECAUSE GLEN BECK TOLD ME AND NOT SOM AD

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pagancow posted:

money mutual c/o montel williams

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pagancow posted:

http://youtu.be/XbIjLByeG-M

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

but word of mouth is the most morally reprehensible ad since its the strongest influencer in a persons decision to buy/not to buy

yeah but word of mouth isn't propaganda. if someone likes someone genuinely and tells someone and they buy it that's acceptable, it's based in reality and good things will sell better

ads have none of this. the worst things in the world can have amazing ads and people buy them without needing them

in an unrelated note have u seen that movie keeping up with jonaes or something with Demi Moore and David xfiles

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sniep posted:

how would you stay abreast of currently available products and/or services that may be of interest to you without ads though?
think this thru now...

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

but i already know about apple??

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

but what if the new apple thing came out today and you had no idea because marketing and branding and advertising was all illegal, you could never be shown a thing that you could buy because it would sully your brain with thoughts that you cant control

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

id watch the keynote op :)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

nope its an advertisment and outlawed in a post echnopsis cultural and government takeover scenario we're playing out here

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the priest addresses his ppl: not an ad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

but what if the new apple thing came out today and you had no idea because marketing and branding and advertising was all illegal, you could never be shown a thing that you could buy because it would sully your brain with thoughts that you cant control

people would still be happy wit iPhone 4 if no newer iPhone came out

new ahit makes people unhappy

didn't you learn anything when you were a Buddhist

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I didn't learn poo poo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I bought something I didn't want to - something pagancow thinks is good

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i only buy things i want. get a brian morans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but ads coerce others into buying things they don't need or work

ads aren't simply pieces of information about a products pros and cons . they are tools designed to subvert your psyche into doing things you otherwise wouldn't want to do

"mcdonalds has a new burger" - an ok ad

*flashing lights and hypnotism show you juicy burgers until your dopamine is flowing and you're hungry for a Big Maca* - immoral ad

• Locked thread