Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

http://www.slashfilm.com/transformers-age-of-extinction-tops-2015-product-placement-awards/

The winner for most brands in a single film shouldn’t be hard to guess but smaller films like Nightcrawler and The Theory of Everything apparently still found ways to squeeze in a few notable brand mentions.

2014 Award for Overall Product Placement: Apple
Apple was reportedly featured in 9 of the 35 #1 films of 2014, beating out runner-ups Sony and Coca-Cola. It’s the company’s first win since 2011.

2014 Award for Achievement in Product Placement in a Single Film: Transformers: Age of Extinction
Transformers: Age of Extinction reportedly featured 55 distinct brands. At this point, they should probably just name this award after Michael Bay — he also won in 2014 for Pain & Gain (39 brands) and in 2011 for Transformers: Dark of the Moon (71).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

waaa guys things have brand placement in them!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5bbWSrzBQ

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if you get angry that movies look like real life

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

this thread isn't about computers, op, maybe it would be better suited in entertainment, weakly

pagancow posted:

2014 Award for Overall Product Placement: Apple
Apple was reportedly featured in 9 of the 35 #1 films of 2014

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Still not sure if Apple pays for the placement or if its just easier to find macs laying around in hollywood for set decoration.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Touche

SMYTTHEE TAAKKE THE WHEEELLLL

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

The Management posted:

I look forward to seeing someone mention what a piece of poo poo their samsung phone or Chevy car is in a popular movie

idk every person i met with a samsung phone is trying to dyp it and say how much better it is than the iphone

they usually end up getting iphones after contract is up so its real?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

infernal machines posted:

i dunno, watching pagancow both trolling people and getting legit butthurt when people tell him what a shitstain he and his industry are is pretty entertaining

come on you love me

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yeah seriously why would you want a different question than the mcdonalds one?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

TV is bad because it gets completed in an entire week whats new?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

kind of surprised nobody has tried to say blade runner is the worst movie in the world becuase they shove brands down your throat

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Silver Alicorn posted:

the product placement in back to the future was fun and good

no you see its a terrible movie becuase they used pepsi and duck hunt as a plot point in the movie

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

this is why MTV blurs out brands so that the content can be pure, true, and untouched by advertisers hands.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

:3:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

no you see the problem is that you're trying to see yourself in characters, so ones that dont buy anything and dont engage in brands are ones you identify with.

its of course obvious why deckard doesnt engage in brands hes a replicant

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

It’s go time, Marvelites: Tweet using #AvengersAssemble to unite & unlock an epic new #Avengers #AgeOfUltron Trailer! http://flwcs.co/3BM

yes, we wont release this trailer we made unless you want it baaaaddd

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

especially to a brand

Yeah imagine if you got married to AMD during their athalon XP years yeeeesh

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol you guys getting all mad at the nissan product placement because they hold on the call off and GPS shot like 20 frames too long but you arent angry about the music flavor of the day they were pushing over the radio because the publisher needed that band to get more exposure even though it's totally out of character that she would be listening to music like that.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pagancow, how do i experience a brand?

You just live life like a neurotypical, the companies have lots of people working to make sure you experience brands that enhance your life.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

nice!!!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i dont do print but I guess this is cool?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ehh, i dont really "read"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

but those transformers riding dinosaurs ripping out of the sides make me a little more interested in reading, almost enough to cross the :effort: threshold

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the way you refer to him? yes

Brand is the way you feel about the implicit idea an object, word, picture, or idea creates.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

theadder posted:

the reality distortion field :)

RDF is what people who are unaware of brand or are like "lol brand is meaningless rofl" call it when it works

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yeah next thing you're going to tell me is that awareness of depression, it being less stigmatized by this generation, and the willingness of doctors to perscribe anti-depressants as a catchall drug have nothing to do with those numbers

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

orrr the fact that the list of what covers the definition of depression grows every couple of years

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

sounds like something someone responsible for causing mental illness would say

are you in bed with big pharma pagancow?

No

but come on

http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-report/major-depression/%20depression-statistics.aspx

depression is closely linked to divorce. so now you're telling me ads are causing higher divorce rates?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

okay so if we follow this logic then the kid who blew up Boston isn't guilty, because his brother pressured him into killing all those people.

That's what his defense is saying

annnnd it probably wont work

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you are responsible for your own actions in america and if you cant handle that then i'm sure there is a country out there you can move to if you cant be responsible for taking in what people tell you and processing it on your own accord

also i only make ads for america so apparently we get away with a lot more than other countries?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

that article you linked is silly

"ads are the problem because they can influence people to do things I dont like! I should influence those people to do what I like instead!!!!!!!"

loving lamo

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

word of mouth

nah ads aren't inherently bad but using psychology to make people buy things they don't need or want is wrong, no?

but word of mouth is the most morally reprehensible ad since its the strongest influencer in a persons decision to buy/not to buy

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

CASH 4 GOLD IS OK BECAUSE GLEN BECK TOLD ME AND NOT SOM AD

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

but what if the new apple thing came out today and you had no idea because marketing and branding and advertising was all illegal, you could never be shown a thing that you could buy because it would sully your brain with thoughts that you cant control

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

nope its an advertisment and outlawed in a post echnopsis cultural and government takeover scenario we're playing out here

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i only buy things i want. get a brian morans

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

okay so now that you've let it known that anything that isn't a spec sheet is immoral lets get down with sin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtS39XS513I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqZl2QIz0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDTSoHmbvhQ

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i don't think you can say using emotional manipulation to coerce someone into doing something they wouldn't otherwise consent to isn't immoral since in a more physical context it falls neatly unto the umbrella of "rape"

oh no someone i dont know might be able to connect with me emotionally!!! SHIELDS UP!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you know what the fundamental problem is here, pagancow doesn't see selling someone something as an adversarial process, he sees it as a mutually beneficial one

i can't imagine how he can maintain that belief when we're explicitly discussing how brands and ads about those brands are intentionally emotionally manipulative, but i guess that sort of cognitive dissonance is what you need to show up to work every day in advertising

human beings make emotional choices not rational ones, of course most ads sell a dream, or aspiration and then try to tie the product to it

sometimes its a good tie, most of the time its bad

• Locked thread