Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i dunno, watching pagancow both trolling people and getting legit butthurt when people tell him what a shitstain he and his industry are is pretty entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

come on you love me

i do, but only for who you are.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

kind of surprised nobody has tried to say blade runner is the worst movie in the world becuase they shove brands down your throat

this is because it's done well. the ads are obviously ads in the context of the film, they're part of the grim cyberpunk landscape, and this is what you'd expect to see

hell even william gibson uses about 20% actual brands as references in hes early cyberpunk stuff, but it's not out of place there

qirex posted:

the brands in blade runner are all advertisements which is the normal home of the brand, it's not like deckard used a surface pro 3 and cortana to zoom in on that photo then printed it on his epson stylus printer

yes, this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

this is why MTV blurs out brands so that the content can be pure, true, and untouched by advertisers hands.

mtv blurs out brands because visible branding in an mtv spot would hit some sort of singularity for fractal recursive advertizing and just pop the viewer's head scanners style

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

maybe that's why i've been wanting to buy some darts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

yes, we wont release this trailer we made unless you want it baaaaddd

i think this is pretty great if only because it could fail

of course they'd release the trailer anyway, but it'd make someone look like a right wally wouldn't it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

wow 8000 whole retweets that was a good use of an entire team of people's time

ungh, it's like you don't even get social media engagement

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

agreed. don't get married folks, it's just not worth it.

especially to a brand

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow, how do i experience a brand?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

holy lol

now that's engagement

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

i dont do print but I guess this is cool?

really?

you're the one that's all about proper timing, style, and presentation.

that's obnoxious bullshit that completely overwhelms the content. it can only serve to distract the reader from what they picked up the paper for in the first place. that is what people are mad about when they say they hate ads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in that he'll uinironically defend objectively awful poo poo to make a point no one cares about?

yes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

theadder posted:

is steve jorbs a brand

the way you refer to him? yes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about steve jobs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

Brand is the way you feel about the implicit idea an object, word, picture, or idea creates.

yes, which is the context in which theadder references jobs

not as a person but as a collection of emotional responses to the idea of jobs and his cult of personality, i.e. the brand of jobs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you want to gently caress jobs?

interesting, interesting
~furiously scribbles in notebook~

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that was but one manifestation of steve's brand

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

if people seeing a thin in a movie makes them subconsciously want to buy it then it's morally wrong even if it wasn't intended as a brand placement

much like if you watch a Michael Moore doco and it makes you angry at George bush that's immoral

michael moore documentaries primarily make me angry at michael moore. i assume that's okay

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

adbusters is a brand with which i can engage

the ultimate irony really.

or not really, just fairly vanilla counter-culture marketing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you find it post it

i would read that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

awesome. thanks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2013/10/adbusted/ posted:

If a key insight of environmentalism was that external reality, nature, could be polluted by industrial toxins, the key insight of mental environmentalism is that internal reality, our minds, can be polluted by infotoxins. Mental environmentalism draws a connection between the pollution of our minds by commercial messaging and the social, environmental, financial and ethical catastrophes that loom before humanity. Mental environmentalists argue that a whole range of phenomenon from the BP oil spill to the emergence of crony-democracy to the mass extinction of animals to the significant increase in mental illnesses are directly caused by the three thousand advertisements that assault our minds each day. And rather than treat the symptoms, by rushing to scrub the oil-soaked beaches or passing watered-down environmental protection legislation, mental environmentalists target the root cause: the advertising industry that fuels consumerism.

loving lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

yeah next thing you're going to tell me is that awareness of depression, it being less stigmatized by this generation, and the willingness of doctors to perscribe anti-depressants as a catchall drug have nothing to do with those numbers

sounds like something someone responsible for causing mental illness would say

are you in bed with big pharma pagancow?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

depression is closely linked to divorce. so now you're telling me ads are causing higher divorce rates?

i would tell you ads are linked to increased cancer rates if i could invent find a stat to back it up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Boxturret posted:

pagancow is literally killing people

that's what i've been saying this whole time.

the thread title takes on a sinister new meaning in this context

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

advertising is only immoral if it's effective

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you know what the fundamental problem is here, pagancow doesn't see selling someone something as an adversarial process, he sees it as a mutually beneficial one

i can't imagine how he can maintain that belief when we're explicitly discussing how brands and ads about those brands are intentionally emotionally manipulative, but i guess that sort of cognitive dissonance is what you need to show up to work every day in advertising

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't think you can say using emotional manipulation to coerce someone into doing something they wouldn't otherwise consent to isn't immoral since in a more physical context it falls neatly unto the umbrella of "rape"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

you do realize thats like blaming a mirror for being ugly?

that doesn't make you not ugly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

advertising is an ugly mirror

surrounded by an overwrought gilt frame, upon closer inspection you discover the frame is actually made of spray painted poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

do you, uh, want to quote some adbusters next?

• Locked thread