Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
:siren: CHECK THE SECOND POST FOR GOONS TO PLAY WITH, TIPS AND FAQs. OR JOIN US ON IRC :siren:

WHAT IS IT?

quote:

Helldivers is a smart game about making dumb, dumb mistakes
http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/4/8148901/helldivers-gameplay-overview-video

quote:

Until last weekend, Helldivers was totally off my radar. Then my boss Stephen texted me on Sunday saying we should team up and play it. It was good, he said. It was like a tactical, sci-fi Diablo, he said. My interest was piqued.

I fired up my PS4 and we played for a few hours, and after he signed off I played for a few hours more. Last night, I teamed up with a couple more friends and kept playing.
http://kotaku.com/helldivers-is-like-the-video-game-version-of-starship-t-1689222322

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SUdC4r82WM

The developers of Magicka have released a new cooperative focused game. It can be punishingly hard but hilarious and fun with friends or randoms. Part Starship Troopers, part Diablo, part Left 4 dead. It's available for Playstation 4, 3, and Vita. It's the best 20 bucks you'll spend today. The game is cross play and cross buy across the three platforms.

I'll add more info to the OP, it's mainly here because there's multiple people playing and talking about the game in the PS4 thread and it deserves to creep out of there. Really you should just buy it and enjoy yourself, but if you need a little push i've conveniently made the following.

EFFORT POST EXPLANATION OF THE MECHANICS

Helldivers is a top down shooter. Left stick for movement, right stick for shooting. You use rifles, rocket launchers, lasers, grenades and other video game weapons to kill giant bugs before they kill you and your team of four. Maps and missions are procedurally generated.

If you played Magicka, then expect some similarities. Friendly fire is as much a threat, if not a bigger one, than your enemies. It's a difficult game as is so if you're easily upset by team kills you probably will find yourself annoyed with the basic idea here, which is to have fun.

You can call down tactical drops from the heavens for a variety of reasons, including respawning your dead friends and giant mech suits.

There's an overworld aspect to the game, a three tiered conflict where every mission you take on is part of a bigger war being waged by the entire playerbase. You're progressing toward the three alien homeworlds which are your typical Starcraft variety: humanoid cyborgs, aliens known as the Illuminate, and big mean bugs that rip apart as fast as they come. The game tracks your progress (and the progress of the community at large) toward their homes.

The game strikes a good balance between the familiar and emergent gameplay. It's quite fun and will probably end up one of those small games everyone will be playing in a few weeks.

Right now though, there are a few kinks and most of the bigger ideas in the game are still being figured out by the community. No one has gotten very far, but that's part of the fun of the game.

OK, BUT WILL I WANT TO PLAY THIS THE REST OF MY LIFE? WILL IT GET OLD, LIKE ME, US BOTH SLIPPING FURTHER AND FURTHER INTO IRRELEVANCE TOWARDS A DISAPPOINTING DEATH?

Neon Knight posted:

On complexity, playing a variety of missions from Difficulty 1 to 6 I can see how the enemy variety and density increases. On top of that you get harder objectives generated and longer lists to objectives per mission as difficulty increases. Difficulty goes up to 12 as far as I can see, I can't imagine how crazy that gets at this point. As you level you seem to get more options for guns, artillery and support but that doesn't equate directly to making things easier as much as team work and skill will. A rank 2 character can jump into a difficulty 6 mission and be on equal playing field as his rank 14 allies.

The repetitive nature will come into you seeing all the pieces used to generate missions and noticing how they are just rearranged procedurally. Longevity comes from how long the challenge presented by the game (which seems to have a high ceiling and low floor) keeps you interested.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
:siren:FAQ:siren:

Do not play with a dying controller, you could potentially get your save wiped when you're booted out the game after it dies.
Is there local co op and can others join us online? Yes.
I'm having trouble joining friends games. There are some bugs with joining games. Try restarting your ps4 or closing helldivers.

TIPS FOR GAMERS HAVING FUN IN HELLDIVERS

Here's a 60 second video that sums up critical, common mistakes. Not moving, not watching the map, not watching the drops.

-Everyone's first four research tokens should be put into UAVs. You can easily get ten plus samples per map because the UAV shows where all samples are, instead of the usual one or two samples you stumble into.

-use the Stun Grenade perk earned around rank 5. Thrown right, it can disable a whole pack for some time or be saved to make the big threatening well defended hulks and tanks temporarily immobile.

-Don't take it personal that you get merked. A lot.

GruntyThrst posted:

1) Helldivers is a stealth game. Your success on higher levels depends entirely on killing patrols before they alert more enemies. That means moving from cover to cover, checking your radar, and having your gun pointed at the patrol before they move onto your screen.

2) :siren:NEVER EVER STOP MOVING WHEN YOU ARE ENGAGED.:siren: Even if you are low on ammo, you need to HAUL rear end when there are multiple alerted enemies. The 5-15 seconds you are waiting in one place for that ammo pod to drop is going to wipe your squad. Enemies never stop coming, ever. Run away and regroup before you stop to call equipment in.

PSN OF GOONS YOU CAN PLAY WITH, BECAUSE GOONS ARE JUST BETTER FOR SOME REASON

Koth posted:

So I made an IRC channel for goon Helldivers to get games going with each other. It worked really well for meeting goons in Destiny, so I figured I'd start one for Helldivers too.

Here is the link for the IRC web client

Or you can use whatever IRC program you want to connect to #helldivers on irc.synirc.net:6697.

quote:

:siren: HEY GUYS, MESSAGE ME YOUR INFO INSTEAD OF POSTING IT IN THE THREAD IF YOU WANT ON THE LIST :siren:

I wasn't gonna say anything about it because I don't really care about thread litter, but it'll make it easier for me to make sure I catch it. If it's a post like "hey, I wanna play RIGHT NOW, here's my lovely PSN name", I guess that's fine. But it won't go in the list anymore. If I missed yours please message me it.

my dumb name is rerewrerererew if ya wanna play wit da OP

TheKeeper
bonds0097
Taratang
REALTOR-GUY
TOO_Pomale
Gisbon
Znorps
DocFuzz
DiscoFantastic
rpaggio
NinjaDbgr
MC2552John
ChromeHound47
ArfCroc
Alehkhs
JohnnyJoestar
DaRealApotheosis
GruntyThrst
hihifellow
Super_Aggro_Crag
Tekopo
belt983
Harton84
NO_GRANDMA_NO
richardgatsby
thebeaz
casnorf
Theradis
Sigberct
Bad_Parenting00
MykeRabsitch
DeathSandwich
RadValtar
Arrrthritis
Wristcrack
DopeGhoti
Off1cerWinslow
Pleads32
ILL_MITCH
grrarg-
Static_Rook
jwei_11k
AzMiLion
Woodshelf
adamsolo3000
Rockso78

v

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 22, 2015

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

echronorian posted:

Helldivers is a video game. This is a thread for the video game, Helldives.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/4/8148901/helldivers-gameplay-overview-video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SUdC4r82WM

It's available for Playstation 4, 3, and Vita. It's about 20 bucks. It's really good.

What is it?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's a video game, you play it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Helldives is a game from the developers of Mahicka

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i keep reading it as helldrivers, thinking its some sort of car game

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's a smart game about making dumb, dumb mistakes

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Davincie posted:

I'd buy a car DLC assuming it's a one-person vehicle and, as always, is fully capable of immediate teamkilling if anyone gets in the way.

This game is fantastic, btw. I'll be playing a lot on PS4 this week, hit me up. PSN: Pleads32

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Davincie posted:

helldives is a not racing game, mostly.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
best coop game i have played in 5+ years, maybe ever, no lie

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I could tell you what this game is about but I think the more important thing here is that there's a thread to discuss what this game is about.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Control Volume posted:

I could tell you what this game is about but I think the more important thing here is that there's a thread to discuss what this game is about.

yes precisely

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
if youre not playing this game youre a stupid person that's all there is to say here

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Friends games in matchmaking are not showing up for me for some reason.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I think this game is too successful and it's crunching mp servers or something.

e: nvm i can see all friends playing you are just broken

Pleads fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 4, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

echronorian posted:

PSN OF GOONS YOU CAN PLAY WITH, BECAUSE GOONS ARE JUST BETTER FOR SOME REASON

(ey yo gimme your info if you wanna be in here ok)

PS4
Pleads32

ILL_MITCH

This game is fun. Obviously there are some improvements they can make. Somehow have their giant pop ups block less of the screen. (Samples, etc) Have Waypoints you set actually show up for everyone on the game screen. But it's pretty good.

The real question is, how much more diverse is it going to get? A week from now at level 20 on "Very Challenging" will it still just be bomb a bug nest, activate a SAM Site, extract?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Pleads posted:

I think this game is too successful and it's crunching mp servers or something.

It's a possibility. I don't know what they were expecting server loads to be like but there's clearly a few kinks right now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't like this game because whenever I read the title I immediately think "YOU BEEN DOWN TOO LONG IN THE MIDNIGHT SEA"

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Add this to the fist post:

Everyone's first four research tokens should be put into UAVs. You can easily get ten plus samples per map because the UAV shows where all samples are, instead of the usual one or two samples you stumble into.

sandworms
Sep 22, 2010

helldivers is fun and if you like fun, you might like helldivers

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
What are people's favorite loadouts so far? I'm digging the Scythe (laser beam) with Heavy Armor perk, Resupply, Mech suit, Minigun turret, and UAV. Upgraded UAV shows samples on the map for faster research points.

PSN: grrarg-

Rad Valtar posted:

Friends games in matchmaking are not showing up for me for some reason.
Check the filters options. "Hide games from other regions" is checked by default.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I played with some Goons this morning, our game crashed, and now none of my friends show as online when trying to join a game. Public games work fine and nothing is being filtered.

Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: I see one person is above. Is this the over 100 friends bug?

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I broke down and got the game last night. Only played the tutorial but really enjoyed what I saw.

PSN- Off1cerWinslow

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Malt posted:

I played with some Goons this morning, our game crashed, and now none of my friends show as online when trying to join a game. Public games work fine and nothing is being filtered.

Yeah that's me, I got friends to show up for a minute and then all but 4 have disappeared from the list. Also I have everything unchecked.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Malt posted:

I have >200 friends and I can see friends in matchmaking. I think it's unrelated.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
I think I somehow managed to kill myself TWICE last night by air-dropping supplies onto my goddamn head. My rando teammates howled with laughter each time. GOTY

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Yeah that's me, I got friends to show up for a minute and then all but 4 have disappeared from the list. Also I have everything unchecked.

Sorry to hear that, I took a look around the web and couldn't find anything. Since two of you are having a similar issue, this will hopefully be a bug that gets fixed soon so you can have fun with your friends in hell divers.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
No plans for a PC release for an online multiplayer-focused game? Get hosed, Helldivers.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

No plans for a PC release for an online multiplayer-focused game? Get hosed, Helldivers.

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Malt posted:

I saw a similar problem last night on PS4 after I got disconnected from a game and it cleared up after the friend I was attempting to join closed Helldivers completely and started again.

The Vita version however NEVER shows my friends as online, but I can join public parties just fine.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Control Volume posted:

It's a smart game about making dumb, dumb mistakes

This really is a playable Paul Verhoeven movie.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

DoubleDonut posted:

It's almost like developing a game for a single platform is easier and more cost-effective or something! If it does well enough they'll probably port it, then we can get the usual 10 pages of PC tech support chat. Hooray!

PSN Static_Rook

Let's dive some hells.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Is this fir the ps4 op

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Feenix posted:

The real question is, how much more diverse is it going to get? A week from now at level 20 on "Very Challenging" will it still just be bomb a bug nest, activate a SAM Site, extract?
this is a good question since every gameplay clip ive seen looks exactly the same

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Is this fir the ps4 op

its available for the ps fir

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

This game owns, Diving into hell owns. Walking your shiny new mech off a loving cliff doesn't own.

add me on PSN: AzMiLion

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
This game is riot. It's like they made a game about being a space marine scout.

PSN: Woodshelf if you wanna dive some hells.

:getin:

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
I just finished the basic training, psn jwei_11k

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I like the explanation for the Cyborg war. Some guy possible maybe affiliated with the Cyborg killed 8 people so it's time to invade and destroy their home world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Played and lost the first mission. This game does not gently caress around.

• Locked thread