Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How does this run on the vita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
Well the mechs are pretty great. Not only do they melt waves of enemies with heavy MG fire, they're also perfect for trampling your squadmates to death.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Protip if you get set on fire by those cyborg jerks, remember what you learned in school and stop drop and roll (aka take cover) to put yourself out.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Pleads posted:

There is nothing as awesome as joining a game in progress and your first pod crushing another player.

Close second is calling in reinforcements and those pods crushing the person that called them.

This game.
Good times!

I think my favorite stupid death spiral today was playing with pubbies. Three people dropped turrets around the extraction beacon with perfect overlapping firing arcs. They were doing rings around the beacon to keep it between them and whichever turret was firing, instead of flopping into cover. They were so busy trying to stay alive they didn't notice the countdown timer. The shuttle splattered all three of them when it landed.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ok i bought the dumb game. psn is super_aggro_crag

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

exmorte posted:

Protip if you get set on fire by those cyborg jerks, remember what you learned in school and stop drop and roll (aka take cover) to put yourself out.

This also works if you have a jump pack equipped.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

grrarg posted:

Good times!

I think my favorite stupid death spiral today was playing with pubbies. Three people dropped turrets around the extraction beacon with perfect overlapping firing arcs. They were doing rings around the beacon to keep it between them and whichever turret was firing, instead of flopping into cover. They were so busy trying to stay alive they didn't notice the countdown timer. The shuttle splattered all three of them when it landed.

Please post the video you surely saved and uploaded.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
One of ya'll sound like david cross

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
PSN fiwer

Playing on the Vita, does that mean I can only play with other Vita people or what?

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
The APC is amazing.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted
Add DocBonestron if ya wanna cruise round in my armored hellcar.

Also a man named ThreeLemmings and my other two compatriots ran off of the same cliff, at the same time.

Dr. Bonertron fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 5, 2015

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Has anyone tried calling more than one APC at a time?

Can... can everyone have their own APC on a level?

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

Frocious posted:

Add DocBonestron if ya wanna cruise round in my armored hellcar.

Also a man named ThreeLemmings and my other two compatriots ran off of the same cliff, at the same time.

That was the best moment of the night. This game is amazing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

PSN fiwer

Playing on the Vita, does that mean I can only play with other Vita people or what?
Anyone can play with anyone.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
PSN Sigberct

This game owns bones yall.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

gibbed posted:

This is Magicka meets Starship Troopers in all the best ways.
What do you mean by archetype? For cyborgs I've seen regular grunts, berserkers with blades for arms, minigun dudes, minigun dudes with shields, tanks, and a few others so far.

And I haven't yet. I'd seen two. So yes, it's good to know there is more. :)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Just double checking, if I buy this on my Ps3 now, when I eventually buy a Ps4/Vita I can just download it there right?

Super interested in playing this while it's most popular, but do want to also own it for the other systems when I eventually get them. I don't really care about resolution or anything since everything on the consoles looks muddy to me, just want to make sure I won't be missing out in any way.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rookersh posted:

Just double checking, if I buy this on my Ps3 now, when I eventually buy a Ps4/Vita I can just download it there right?
yes. the ps3 version seems to run pretty well

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DrManiac posted:

How does this run on the vita?

Looks like a pretty big downgrade from the PS4 but still looks nice. Using the back touchscreen for reload was really pissing me off. Still pretty stoked that it was cross buy though. This could be really great for playing on a handheld and being able to play with PS3/4 friends is super cool.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Having played a few level 10 missions, and only beaten up to a level 9, I have formulated two very important tips:

1) Helldivers is a stealth game. Your success on higher levels depends entirely on killing patrols before they alert more enemies. That means moving from cover to cover, checking your radar, and having your gun pointed at the patrol before they move onto your screen.

2) :siren:NEVER EVER STOP MOVING WHEN YOU ARE ENGAGED.:siren: Even if you are low on ammo, you need to HAUL rear end when there are multiple alerted enemies. The 5-15 seconds you are waiting in one place for that ammo pod to drop is going to wipe your squad. Enemies never stop coming, ever. Run away and regroup before you stop to call equipment in.

Less important but nice to know:

3) Big enemies start appearing at level 5. You need some sort of anti-tank weapon to deal with them, or a high level air strike.

4) It's been said before, but level up the UAV first. Get dem sweet, sweet samples. Also, you don't get any samples unless at least one person is able to extract, so don't try "grinding" for them on high level maps.

5) If you call in a recoiless rifle, let someone else grab the support kit. Someone else reloading your launcher for you (by standing behind you when you have it out and pressing x) is about 10 times as fast as reloading it yourself.

6) The mech suit owns.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 5, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hell Dive is ridiculous, you pretty much can't stand still without being swarmed by heavies and tanks. Group I was just in took over an hour to clear a level, mostly because we had no real way to deal with tanks short of luring them under supply drops. Definitely want to get heavy weapons before you try it, heal guns are really useful too.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Any Ausgoons hit me up: TG_Chronocide

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
:siren: HEY GUYS, MESSAGE ME YOUR INFO INSTEAD OF POSTING IT IN THE THREAD IF YOU WANT ON THE LIST :siren:

I wasn't gonna say anything about it because I don't really care about thread litter, but it'll make it easier for me to make sure I catch it. If it's a post like "hey, I wanna play RIGHT NOW, here's my lovely PSN name", I guess that's fine. But it won't go in the list anymore. If I missed yours please message me it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This is a forlorn hope I know but do the games have the same playerbase over all three consoles? It looks good but all I have is a Vita, can I play with PS3/4 players?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Pierson posted:

This is a forlorn hope I know but do the games have the same playerbase over all three consoles? It looks good but all I have is a Vita, can I play with PS3/4 players?

Yes. Cross play/cross buy.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh my god a reason to boot up the Vita.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

Having played a few level 10 missions, and only beaten up to a level 9, I have formulated two very important tips:

Added these, thanks.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my very first mission i dropped myself in the middle of a mine field. my first random multiplayer mission i dropped into a nuke.

so that's the good. the bad is having to sit through everyone's level up unlock bullshit after a mission. holy poo poo what a dumb idea.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
What does the Humblebee's first upgrade actually do? It says it reveals 'hidden objectives' but I've yet to see it reveal anything I didn't already know about.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Aishan posted:

What does the Humblebee's first upgrade actually do? It says it reveals 'hidden objectives' but I've yet to see it reveal anything I didn't already know about.
They start hiding objectives in medium difficulty missions, like level 5 or 6 and up. The maps are marked with big circular areas where the objective could possibly be and you have to either stumble into it or have an upgraded UAV up.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

apparently if one person has the upgraded uav other people can see specimens on the map too

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Awesome! posted:

apparently if one person has the upgraded uav other people can see specimens on the map too
Yeah that's level 3 I think. Only one dude needs to bring a uav so feel free to choose something more fun if you notice someone else is using it.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
got up to rank 5 last night

holy poo poo this game is fun. excited to see what they do with content updates/dlc/etc

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

TG-Chrono posted:

Any Ausgoons hit me up: TG_Chronocide

gently caress Friday Night Raids, let's play this

Also, how do I get the UAV? It's got a blue lock on it, and I'm rank 9ish I think. I'm pretty sure I got the ranger pack as I bought it on launch day so I should have access to it, right?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

I, Butthole posted:

gently caress Friday Night Raids, let's play this

Also, how do I get the UAV? It's got a blue lock on it, and I'm rank 9ish I think. I'm pretty sure I got the ranger pack as I bought it on launch day so I should have access to it, right?

i am pretty sure you should have started with it

if it isnt a starting thing, then it is something you unlock from one of the really early planets

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this game has amazing loving potential, total revival of topdown twinstick poo poo. had lots of fun with randoms and friends so far, tried to beat the mission that unlocks the mech by myself and kept failing once bugs ate up my bomb calldown. If this is from the Magicka guys then they really struck gold and I'm excited for the prospect of long-term content.

as far as stealth goes, I assume the "alarm" goes off only once an enemy finishes the "red alarm state" animation? I couldn't really tell if that was the trigger for full scale alert or not.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Managed to get to rank 9 yesterday. The jump from difficulty 0 to 4 is staggering. They really ramp it up but man it's a lot of fun when you're trying to scramble to get coordinated. Really brings back the feeling of playing Magicka for the first time.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
How exactly does the skill progression work ? Is there a level cap or could I theoretically grind out having every skill ? I was under the impression the skills were like a "skill tree" like Diablo and people could focus on builds. I'm programmed to assume that repeatedly killing spawns will farm me more experience but this doesn't seem to be the case.

My only gripe is me being red-green colorblind it's hard to focus on the action sometimes when it gets chaotic.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

How exactly does the skill progression work ? Is there a level cap or could I theoretically grind out having every skill ? I was under the impression the skills were like a "skill tree" like Diablo and people could focus on builds. I'm programmed to assume that repeatedly killing spawns will farm me more experience but this doesn't seem to be the case.

My only gripe is me being red-green colorblind it's hard to focus on the action sometimes when it gets chaotic.

There is no skill progression in this game. You gain research points from picking up samples and ranking up, which you use to upgrade your weapons or strategems. I don't know too much about the game myself at this stage, but if you can replay levels and samples still drop even though you have cleared it before, you can grind research points. You gain experience from completing missions. You can earn experience bonuses by completing all the objectives, making sure nobody dies and extracting everyone.

I am also assuming you gain perks by ranking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Welp you fucks convinced me to get this. First lesson I learned was don't go running near a moving mechsuit. Second lesson was don't throw four turrets willy-nilly around the extraction area. Hoping to learn my third lesson tonight. The mass war thing is pretty cool, let's fight for democracy.

My only complaint so far is I soloed the first planet for 2 influence or whatever, then joined a multi game and knocked out like 10 influence but on the leaderboards I'm only listed as 2 influence and like 8 minutes played, despite playing for an hour or so.

• Locked thread