Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Oh, must have been 10k xp on the Illuminate boss, not 7.5k. Just did the Cyborg boss, took about 10 minutes because the guy hosting had a bunch of mines to put down. Apparently, that makes the bosses a lot easier, we didn't have them for the Illuminate one :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Actually come to think of it I think the reason that the public game stuff seems so good is because of the report/commend system. If you're a shitter you get reported, and then he only people you can play with are other shitters. The system works okay to keep the colossally toxic dota community from poisoning everyone that even thinks about the game, so in a game where there is no good reason to act like a cockhole to people it stands to reason that it would make a normal community into a good one.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

when the game launched there were a few griefing avenues that people liked to use but i think they all got patched out

the one i remember is the host could kick everyone right before the shuttle landed so they got no xp or rewards and since the group was disbanded the people couldnt then report them

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah you can do that sort of stuff in the majority of hosted co-op games but it ends up being a really weak grief because you almost never get any reactions out of it. You just end up going "heh heh heh those guys must be SO MAD right now" but deep down you know that they probably just thought "dickhead" for a moment and then joined another game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Coolguye posted:

they probably just thought "dickhead" for a moment and then joined another game.
you'd think. but there was an awful lot of crying about it on the playstation forums

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Okay I got the Helldivers their own spot on the Mumble:

The HANGOUT GROUP there is linked with the HANGOUT GROUP channel in Payday 2 since we already have at least 4 people who overlap between the games, with a subchannel called Team Anal Hell for if you just want to shoot the poo poo with a smaller group. The Payday 2 HANGOUT GROUP has an analogous channel called Team Tantric Jerking, so everyone should be equal under DEMOCRACY right now.

I didn't want to make a billion squad channels that never get used so for right now there's only 3. If we feel like we need more or we have better names for the channels then just let me know, I'm the admin for that channel right now so I can take care of things.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Thanks for this! I was playing with Jerik and DinosaurVet this evening and all was well in Mumble and in game. Beep Beep goes the Bus.

:siren: Mumble/In Game VOIP/AutoHotKey Nerd Alert :siren:
Also, because I want to use the same button for voice push to talk for pubbies as I do for those in mumble but do not want to have both of them make sounds at the same time and make me sound like an echo chamber or worse, I made this thing in AutoHotKey. Essentially if you have Mumble.exe running, your LAlt button doesn't press LAlt, but instead sends ScrollLock. I have ScrollLock bound in Mumble for push to talk, and LAlt in HELLDIVERS for push to talk. The result? If mumble is running LAlt talks in mumble. Otherwise, it talks in HELLDIVERS.

All you gotta do is be running an AutoHotKey script with this code in it:

code:
; ==========
; HELLDIVERS
; ==========
#IfWinExist ahk_exe mumble.exe
{
LALT::ScrollLock
}
Replace "LALT" with whatever button you want to push to talk with (it can even do gamepad buttons such as "1joy6" being the right shoulder bumper on a 360 controller), and "ScrollLock" with whatever button in Mumble you have bound to push to talk. Go nuts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hammering the A button instantly killed me instead of getting me back on my feet for some reason. Blah.

e: I was about to do a cool clutch thing to save the mission too. :argh:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 30, 2015

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How quickly do they add the other races in usually?

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Some people were asking earlier about a steam group, so I just made one.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/HDGoons

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Kirenski posted:

Some people were asking earlier about a steam group, so I just made one.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/HDGoons

Or you could use this one from earlier in the thread: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goondivers

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012

Feindfeuer posted:

Or you could use this one from earlier in the thread: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goondivers

Fantastic, I guess the op doesn't play anymore since it wasn't updated with it.

Anyway easy enough.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

RBA Starblade posted:

Hammering the A button instantly killed me instead of getting me back on my feet for some reason. Blah.

e: I was about to do a cool clutch thing to save the mission too. :argh:
1) You still bleed out when reviving yourself, meaning that if you get knocked down to particularly low health it's possible to bleed out before finishing your revive

2) You can still call and use stratagems while downed, could have just thrown down a reinforcement beacon :v:

Also with KB/M you just have to hold the key, not mash it to revive, so I assume it's the same with a controller.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kirenski posted:

Fantastic, I guess the op doesn't play anymore since it wasn't updated with it.

Anyway easy enough.

Yeah I am probably gonna make a new thread in the next day or two. The OP has not posted since May and with the PC release gaining some steam it's probably time for a refresh.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Insert name here posted:

2) You can still call and use stratagems while downed, could have just thrown down a reinforcement beacon :v:

You can loving do what now?

This changes everything

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

dogstile posted:

You can loving do what now?

This changes everything

You could do this from the beginning. It's called out in the achievement list, if you bother to read it.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

I dont know the directions for reinforce, but I do know a reflexive muscle twitch that makes it occur, so it's all good.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

NinjaDebugger posted:

You could do this from the beginning. It's called out in the achievement list, if you bother to read it.
How can you go and act like reading a loving cheeb list is a normal thing to do ?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Feindfeuer posted:

Joined. Probably going to poopsock this game today, so you guys better be on.

Insert name here posted:

1) You still bleed out when reviving yourself, meaning that if you get knocked down to particularly low health it's possible to bleed out before finishing your revive

Also with KB/M you just have to hold the key, not mash it to revive, so I assume it's the same with a controller.

Regarding #2, that is a game changer. And to your final point, I gave using a gamepad a shot when I first installed the game to compare kb+m to it for convenience and I am 95% sure you do mash on gamepad and hold on kb+m. And then I'm 50% that was one of the main reasons I went with kb+m for controller choice. The other 50% is mouse aiming.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Essobie posted:

Regarding #2, that is a game changer. And to your final point, I gave using a gamepad a shot when I first installed the game to compare kb+m to it for convenience and I am 95% sure you do mash on gamepad and hold on kb+m. And then I'm 50% that was one of the main reasons I went with kb+m for controller choice. The other 50% is mouse aiming.

Even better, if you die while holding a reinforcements beacon, you'll be included in the respawn wave.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Essobie posted:

You mashed when I played controller. Sucked.

We should really detail that, and that you can used WASD to call strats.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

NinjaDebugger posted:

I'm more just shocked i've not noticed this in the 15 or so hours i've played so far. Still, this will be useful.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Insert name here posted:

1. poo poo I didn't know that.

2. I didn't know that either!

3. I was lied to argh

Thanks for letting me know about all of that!

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
War declared .. against the Illuminates. :smith:

Bugs tomorrow, then.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Iceshade posted:

War declared .. against the Illuminates. :smith:

Bugs tomorrow, then.

That's good, I think I need a couple stratagems from them. I'll be on pretty soon in CTS to rock some protoss face.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The illuminates are interesting to fight against but the novelty soon wears down after you accidentally step into a sniper at precisely the wrong moment.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Bring mechs and personal shields.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Hey sounds like a great pl- *is instantly murdered by a photon wall phasing into existence with half the warning of a sniper shot*

GEE HOWDY I SURE LOVE FIGHTING NOT-ELDAR

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.
Arc Shotgun goes through forcefield walls and terrain if you want something reliable. I believe it two-shots Tripod packs with full charges. Arc Thrower's good too, but it's tougher to handle nearby packs or confusion orbs with it.

Also, when the Bastion stays still (rotating is fine), force walls stop right at the edge of the tank instead of spawning through. I don't know if that applies to every vehicle, but as long as y'aren't moving towards the obelisk, you're good.

Souplesse fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 30, 2015

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Caffeine IV posted:

Arc Shotgun goes through forcefield walls and terrain if you want something reliable. I believe it two-shots Tripod packs with full charges. Arc Thrower's good too, but it's tougher to handle nearby packs or confusion orbs with it.
Is that thing any good fully upgraded? I tried it without upgrades and the range was terrible and the charge even worse so I kept getting knocked down. Also hoping whatever issue is causing only two games to show up for me now gets resolved. I just want the las-98 cannon so I can finish upgrading my machine gun.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Sonel posted:

Is that thing any good fully upgraded? I tried it without upgrades and the range was terrible and the charge even worse so I kept getting knocked down. Also hoping whatever issue is causing only two games to show up for me now gets resolved. I just want the las-98 cannon so I can finish upgrading my machine gun.

Everything sucks without upgrades. Almost everything has a niche when maxed. Fully researched Arc Shotty charges in about a second and covers almost half-screen in a wide arc, while also letting you spam weak charges like a goofy lightning bayonet.

Seriously, don't bother judging (most) stuff without the research in it; everything ends up pretty versatile.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Hey sounds like a great pl- *is instantly murdered by a photon wall phasing into existence with half the warning of a sniper shot*

In the harder difficulties they're the easiest faction to deal with- they have no heavy armor.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

In the harder difficulties they're the easiest faction to deal with- they have no heavy armor.

easiest, but also somehow the most annoying one

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its amazing how easy it is to not notice a drat sniper beam sitting there when things start getting hectic

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Minorkos posted:

easiest, but also somehow the most annoying one

That crown goes to Cyborgs and their scout IFVs airdropping in visual range.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

But at least you can shove the whole team in a HAV and just not give a gently caress.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Instant kill photon walls are seriously the only thing about the Illuminus that grinds me. Everything else is obnoxious, but ultimately fine. Control scrambling is obnoxious, but the reality of the situation is that if you keep your wits about you, you can shake it off. Snipers are obnoxious, but ultimately fine since their warm up time is generous and there are ways to defend against their attacks even if you must take a hit.

There is no defense against photon walls, and the warm up time is frequently not enough to reasonably dodge or change directions. The only change I ask for is that if a photon wall hits someone, they get shunted out suddenly and violently, as opposed to simply evaporating.

Also

apostateCourier posted:

The not-eldar are kings of danger close teleportation, don't even step

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Instant kill photon walls are seriously the only thing about the Illuminus that grinds me. Everything else is obnoxious, but ultimately fine. Control scrambling is obnoxious, but the reality of the situation is that if you keep your wits about you, you can shake it off. Snipers are obnoxious, but ultimately fine since their warm up time is generous and there are ways to defend against their attacks even if you must take a hit.

There is no defense against photon walls, and the warm up time is frequently not enough to reasonably dodge or change directions. The only change I ask for is that if a photon wall hits someone, they get shunted out suddenly and violently, as opposed to simply evaporating.

Also

The not-eldar are kings of danger close teleportation, don't even step

The difference is that illuminate scouts don't take anti-tank munitions to kill!

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I have fallen in love with the pump shotgun, but is there a way to use it without breaking my R key and turning the session into an endless stream of RELOADING callouts? Some secret technique to just hold the reload action out and only say it once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coolguye posted:

On the plus side, doing so has gotten me power armor, so that's pretty cool!

• Locked thread