Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

89 posted:

Got yo pressure cooker action right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWOcb049MxE

Pressure Cooker Chili video will be up in the next day or two!

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

jesus loving christ this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

mindphlux posted:

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

jesus loving christ this world

It tastes...really good?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

89 posted:

It tastes...really good?

please tell me it isn't you in that video

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

mindphlux posted:

please tell me it isn't you in that video

It is I

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
At least use loving steel cut oats you monster.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i love some wet poo poo in a cup

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
peanut butter and applesauce wtf

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why you would pressure cook instant oats. They're already cooked.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do love the pseudo canned pressure cooker uses. Caramelizing onions, garlic confit... super easy but i hate oatmeal

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ignore the haters, please post your pressure cooker chili video here and the chili thread. Please.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I make this same thing, except it's peanutbutter on oat bread with cherry jelly. A peanut butter jelly, you might say.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

89 posted:

It is I

i just... i just don't know

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I'd eat that

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

bartolimu posted:

A neat trick I recently learned is doing soft- or hard-boiled eggs in a pressure cooker. With the run-up time of an electric cooker it doesn't really save any cooking time, but it makes the eggs way easier to peel. I'll never do deviled eggs on the stove top again. Off-forums link. There's a thread somewhere around here with particulars as well, but I don't have it bookmarked.

There's also near-instant vegetable caramelization, which makes things like French onion soup much faster without losing flavor.

This works because steaming the eggs makes the membrane stick to the shell instead of the egg and you get beautiful perfect peel every time. If you dont have a pressure cooker you can do the same thing with a pot + inch of water and a steamer basket.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there pressure cooker brands/models that one should avoid? I'm looking at getting a pressure cooker and while there are plenty of "buy this one" recommendations out there, I'm curious if, like, I just go to Target and buy one, what are the chances it'll be crappy?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Harrow posted:

Are there pressure cooker brands/models that one should avoid? I'm looking at getting a pressure cooker and while there are plenty of "buy this one" recommendations out there, I'm curious if, like, I just go to Target and buy one, what are the chances it'll be crappy?

Probably not a great chance it'll be crappy, but for something that literally turns itself into a pressurized bomb during normal use, I'd do a little bit of research before picking one up. Also, who actually goes into stores any more, around actual people and their disgusting germs? Be like a normal person and buy a Presto stainless steel 8-quart pressure cooker off of Amazon like everyone else.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just avoid aluminum pressure cookers, poo poo sucks to clean.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BraveUlysses posted:

Just avoid aluminum pressure cookers, poo poo sucks to clean.

yeah, they're heavy as poo poo, but I love love LOVE my cast iron pressure cooker. loving NOTHING sticks to it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol I had to google my own joke

they exist :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Ranter posted:

Ignore the haters, please post your pressure cooker chili video here and the chili thread. Please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLhYb7gDo6c

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Why do you have 2 slotted spoons?

edit: woah pineapple in chili why didn't I thin of that? This is a revelation.

Why do you suggest removing the 4 jalapeno peppers to reduce heat instead of the twice as hot serranos?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 27, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Ranter posted:

Why do you have 2 slotted spoons?

edit: woah pineapple in chili why didn't I thin of that? This is a revelation.

Why do you suggest removing the 4 jalapeno peppers to reduce heat instead of the twice as hot serranos?

My buddy left his at my house at our Christmas party, so I just put it somewhere :shrug:

Admittedly, I didn't realize that....:doh:

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.
I made my own burrito bowl in 1.5hrs start to finish from dry beans. No soak required.

Not visible, stewed tomato for intense tomato flavor and Brown rice with a lemon twist.

Cost maaaaaaaaaybe 3bux a bowl (which were larger than Chipotlé portions by far).

Edit: grammar.

oxyrosis fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 24, 2017

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

oxyrosis posted:

I made my own burrito bowl in 1.5hrs start to finish from dry beans. No soak required.

Not visible, stewed tomato for intense tomato flavor and Brown rice with a lemon twist.

Cost maaaaaaaaaybe 3bux a bowl (which were larger than Chipotlé portions by far).

Edit: grammar.

Looks good.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
refried beans, chickpeas ready for hummus with no soaking. pressure steaming glutinous rice, black bean and garlic short ribs and other stuff that usually takes a while in a steamer.

Kenji's pressure cooker tomato sauce and Bolognese and risotto are all great.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

grandma blown up again

http://www.local10.com/news/woman-burned-after-pressure-cooker-explodes-at-miami-gardens-home

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

It doesn't seem to say but I bet this is an old school pressure cooker and not an Instant Pot or anything modern.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

It doesn't seem to say but I bet this is an old school pressure cooker and not an Instant Pot or anything modern.

I think my modern stovetop pressure cooker has 3 different failsafes. Don't think I could blow it out if I tried.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think my modern stovetop pressure cooker has 3 different failsafes. Don't think I could blow it out if I tried.

Mine has like 5. They really really don't want you to accidentally blow yourself up.

Makes awesome pulled pork in ~1 hour, too. Good stuff, why did I wait so long before getting one?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Several times now I've heated up my pressure cooker on high until it reached pressure and had a huge thick layer of burnt crap on the bottom, ruining what I was making even when I had plenty of liquid in to start. Is the "heat on high until max pressure" thing not true for some recipes?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

Several times now I've heated up my pressure cooker on high until it reached pressure and had a huge thick layer of burnt crap on the bottom, ruining what I was making even when I had plenty of liquid in to start. Is the "heat on high until max pressure" thing not true for some recipes?

Yeah, probably best when you have a lot of liquid. Liquids distribute heat very well, solids don't.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I was making bolognese so it was soupy as hell to start, but at the same time the bottom was probably mostly tightly packed meat when I closed the lid. Electric stove if that makes a difference.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Electric doesn't make any difference, it was most likely the packing. Keep it loose so thin liquids can travel around.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Well, that's the thing. How do I keep it loose when the lid is closed? I imagine even the most vigorous stirring won't keep it all loose for more than a minute or two.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You mentioned above that there was tightly packed meat at the bottom, which makes me think it was packed down with a spoon or something? If it was stirred and the meat settled to the bottom just by gravity, a bolognese should still be fine AFAIK

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 16, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bartolimu posted:

A neat trick I recently learned is doing soft- or hard-boiled eggs in a pressure cooker. With the run-up time of an electric cooker it doesn't really save any cooking time, but it makes the eggs way easier to peel. I'll never do deviled eggs on the stove top again. Off-forums link. There's a thread somewhere around here with particulars as well, but I don't have it bookmarked.

There's also near-instant vegetable caramelization, which makes things like French onion soup much faster without losing flavor.
You don't need a pressure cooker to steam eggs and have the shells peel off easily. It only takes 10-20 minutes of steaming.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

coyo7e posted:

You don't need a pressure cooker to steam eggs and have the shells peel off easily. It only takes 10-20 minutes of steaming.

Yeah, but if you have a pressure cooker it's loving awesome to have perfect eggs after zero effort on your part.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Try 2 today also resulted in burnt bottom, and I got it up to high pressure at a way lower heat than before. Burning wasn't severe and I was able to salvage it with some care but it was definitely there. Maybe if I brought it to a roiling boil before sealing? I dunno, a bolognese isn't the most expensive sauce to throw away but I'm wary of going for a third batch that might end up having the same problem.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 16, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

Maybe if I brought it to a roiling boil before sealing?

Oh yeah you should probably do that with any pressure cooker recipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Steve Yun posted:

Oh yeah you should probably do that with any pressure cooker recipe

Why is that? I've never heard this before.