Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Made 3 types of Fruit Compote (Blackberry/Raspberry, Apple & Peach) tonight and am in the middle of making Greek Yogurt right now. Makes for great breakfasts throughout the week. Just layer some compote and Yogurt in a mason jar and top with some granola. Yum.

Going to make some Beef Bolognese tomorrow night for lunches too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Invisible Ted posted:

Why is that? I've never heard this before.

If you wait till the food is boiling before sealing it up, it gives you a chance to mix the food and distribute the heat up until the last moment possible. You're distributing heat all the way from room temp to boiling temp, and the food only has to go unmixed from boiling to pressure temps.

If you seal it up when the food is still cold, it means the food will go unmixed during the entire time it takes to go from room or refrigerator temps up to full pressure temps, and more opportunity for a heat difference to develop between parts of the food, especially if the food is something thick like a pasta sauce. If it's thin like stock I wouldn't worry, since water is a great heat distributor.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ulmont posted:

Yeah, but if you have a pressure cooker it's loving awesome to have perfect eggs after zero effort on your part.
It takes way more effort to break out the pressure cooker and rinse it and set it up, than it does to toss a steamer attachment into one of my pans.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

coyo7e posted:

It takes way more effort to break out the pressure cooker and rinse it and set it up, than it does to toss a steamer attachment into one of my pans.

Sorry your workflow is all hosed up, I guess? My pressure cooker lives on the counter and I don't store it dirty... :confused:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I suppose if you consider "putting things in their proper place" as hindrance to your "workflow" then yeah it's super inefficient.

I have an aunt who goes by your logic - she can find any magazine in her house.. From any of the 3-foot-tall stacks she has scatted on every table, chair, and open floor space (there's even a stack blocking her bathroom door OPEN). Efficiency is keeping things as close to hand and out in the open as possible!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My instant pot is cool and makes great corned beef and pretty good greens. I still prefer my greens in a crock pot for my 24 hour greens because the pot likker is super good and it needs the time to break down the cellulose. But if you want to get 80% there in 2 hours yeah these things are rad. I'm looking forward to making boiled peanuts in it this summer.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Croatoan posted:

I'm looking forward to making boiled peanuts in it this summer.

I tried that a couple weeks ago with some raw (but shelled and dry) peanuts I got at an Asian market. I think 2 hours would have been perfect (I did 90 minutes) and recommend 1.5 tablespoons of salt per 1 quart of water.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Here are some images from my weekend cooking.

Beef Bolognese - Is a little salty, next time I will cut the added salt a bit.

Greek Yogurt - Came out pretty thick and with a great tartness.

Peach Compote - Tastes great - Not sure what spices to add to it next time to enhance flavor a bit.

Apple Compote - Nice and chunky - Apples take 5 or more minutes to cook compared to 1 minute of the others. After 1 minute they were still very firm.

Apple parfait - Greek Yogurt, Apple Compote & Granola

Blackberry & Red Raspberry Parfait. Edit - I ate this one for breakfast this morning and OMG was it good.

Peach Parfait

Trastion fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 22, 2017

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
Any recipes for the compotes? I'm thinking about apple and ginger and I have some cherries I need to use up.

I leave out salt most of the time pressure cooking especially if other ingredients already have salt in them. Pressure cooking seems to dial up the saltiness.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

harmless_fun posted:

Any recipes for the compotes? I'm thinking about apple and ginger and I have some cherries I need to use up.

I leave out salt most of the time pressure cooking especially if other ingredients already have salt in them. Pressure cooking seems to dial up the saltiness.

I used this one, her site has some good recipes, for one a few weeks ago and basically did the same thing again. https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-fresh-berry-compote/

Basically a couple pounds of fruit, 1/4c or so of sugar and let it sit for 20 minutes to break down. Then seal up and cook under pressure for 1 minute. Apples and harder fruit will take around 5 minutes. Add whatever other spices you want before cooking of course. I put Cinnamon and Nutmeg in my apple compote and it is great.

I found that you don't really need to add the lemon/orange juice. Each batch has been pretty juicy after, even too much so. I added it to the raspberry and blackberry one because they didn't get very juicy after sitting for 20 minutes but in the end I don't think I needed it and will not so it next time.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I suppose if you consider "putting things in their proper place" as hindrance to your "workflow" then yeah it's super inefficient.

I have an aunt who goes by your logic - she can find any magazine in her house.. From any of the 3-foot-tall stacks she has scatted on every table, chair, and open floor space (there's even a stack blocking her bathroom door OPEN). Efficiency is keeping things as close to hand and out in the open as possible!
so by your stilted logic the place for your pressure cooker is at the back of your cabinets, still dirty from cooking.

coyo7e posted:

totally sounds efficient.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife bought an Instant Pot for making rice but it's just as quick to make it on the stove. But I have made a lot of other things. My favorite so far is turkey wings, usually with onions + something sweet (oranges, mangos, pineapple, apples, brown sugar). Red curry chicken thighs. Pork roast a bunch of different ways with different fruits. Only pork roast needs about 10-15 minutes longer than recommended in the manual. I make bean soup about twice per week. Beef stew. Potatoes. (faux) Roasted brussel sprouts. Really it has changed how I cook. I'm thinking of buying another stainless cooking pot. My only complaint is that the cooking pot sometimes takes rigorous scrubbing to clean.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Thinking of getting this pressure cooker as my first step into pressure cooking. I want a big one so I can do bigger cuts of meat.

Presto 01282 8-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006ISG4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XuejzbSJVQR4Q

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Get a goddamn Instant Pot, do not come back here till you do :argh:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
But it's expensive and looks the same as my rice cooker.......

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

QuarkMartial posted:

Thinking of getting this pressure cooker as my first step into pressure cooking. I want a big one so I can do bigger cuts of meat.

Presto 01282 8-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006ISG4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XuejzbSJVQR4Q
Presto pressure cookers are fine, but I'd spend the extra US$20 or so for the stainless one (model 01370 is the 8-quart equivalent of the aluminium 01282 you link). I think the 01370 is the one recommended by his imperial majesty López-Alt, if that makes a difference.

The pressure cooker I've been using for the past several years is a Fagor Duo. I like it a lot but it's like US$100 so probably not what you're looking for if the price is one of the things putting you off an Instant Pot.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

SubG posted:

Presto pressure cookers are fine, but I'd spend the extra US$20 or so for the stainless one (model 01370 is the 8-quart equivalent of the aluminium 01282 you link). I think the 01370 is the one recommended by his imperial majesty López-Alt, if that makes a difference.

The pressure cooker I've been using for the past several years is a Fagor Duo. I like it a lot but it's like US$100 so probably not what you're looking for if the price is one of the things putting you off an Instant Pot.

I went with the stainless steel one, thanks for catching that! Bought the 8 quart version, along with some other kitchen goodies. I figure this is a good foray into pressure cooking, and if I use it enough to be limited by it, then I'll upgrade to an instant pot. Looking forward to lots of beans and pork for burrito bowls this summer, and some stocks, too.

E: And pressure canning!

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 27, 2017

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Croatoan posted:

My instant pot is cool and makes great corned beef and pretty good greens. I still prefer my greens in a crock pot for my 24 hour greens because the pot likker is super good and it needs the time to break down the cellulose. But if you want to get 80% there in 2 hours yeah these things are rad. I'm looking forward to making boiled peanuts in it this summer.

Please tell me more about 24 hour greens.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Stainless-Steel-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00009A9XU

Hey jerks, the Kuhn Rikon 8qt is half price right now

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

CrazySalamander posted:

Please tell me more about 24 hour greens.

Super simple and good. I have a 7 Qt. crock pot and measurements are pretty approximate since I do it more by feel now.

1 big bag kale greens (I don't know the size but it barely fits in the crock pot)
8oz country ham pieces for cooking (you can use bacon but it's by far inferior but I get that country ham may not be available everywhere)
3 or 4 garlic cloves minced
3 Tbsp kosher salt
1 cups white vinegar (to taste really, here in the south pretty vinegary is preferred)
Fill the remaining volume of the crock with water

Cook on low for about 24 hours, stirring every so often like 4-5 times total. You'll probably have to add a couple of cups of water as it reduces. By the time it's done the pot likker should have a nice yellow/green color. The greens are good too but I can drink the pot likker straight up and enjoy. Pro-tip use Texas Pete Green Pepper Sauce to taste.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 27, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I just made these in my pressure cooker for lunches this week: http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pork-carnitas-in-the-pressure-cooker/

Pretty good recipe, I did end up shredding the pork because it was so tender. Made it fry up nicely.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made this bad boy in my instant pot

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

large hands posted:

made this bad boy in my instant pot

Looks nice, recipe?

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

So the 8 litre Instant Pot is on the Prime Day sale just now....is it as good as people say it is?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Trastion posted:

Looks nice, recipe?

cake is cheesecake recipe #17 from the instant pot website, i parbaked the crust and followed the directions for the lighter/creamier came. topping is https://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/easy-raspberry-sauce-recipe/

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Is there a good website or cookbook people would recommend for cooking with Instant Pots? I just got one, and I'd love to know how to use it to its full potential

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Niemat posted:

Is there a good website or cookbook people would recommend for cooking with Instant Pots? I just got one, and I'd love to know how to use it to its full potential

I have done a few from This Old Gal. Her site is atrocious but the recipes have been good. I use her Greek Yogurt recipe a lot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My favorite so far is:. The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Machine, Both Stovetop and Electric

A blog called, Dad Cooks Dinner that has some pressure cooker recipes.

Hippressurecooking.com

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Niemat posted:

Not full potential obviously but:

http://skillet.lifehacker.com/the-first-seven-things-your-should-make-with-a-new-inst-1790730616

http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/pressure%20cooker

http://instantpot.com/recipes/recipes-around-the-internet/

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Making Kenji's Green Chili Chicken today and holy loving poo poo my entire apartment smells amazing right now. Can't wait to dig in.

diwilli
Jul 16, 2011

dik-dik posted:

Making Kenji's Green Chili Chicken today and holy loving poo poo my entire apartment smells amazing right now. Can't wait to dig in.

That is an amazingly easy and delicious recipe.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

diwilli posted:

That is an amazingly easy and delicious recipe.

It just finished and I had some and can confirm this is loving amazing. Hooooly poo poo.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

dik-dik posted:

Is there any difference in cook time between an electric and stovetop pressure cooker for this recipe?

Also, just as a general question, is there a good way to convert stovetop pressure cooker recipes to work with electric pressure cookers? I've read various things, but I'm interested in the thread's opinions/knowledge/experiences.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Niemat posted:

Is there any difference in cook time between an electric and stovetop pressure cooker for this recipe?

Also, just as a general question, is there a good way to convert stovetop pressure cooker recipes to work with electric pressure cookers? I've read various things, but I'm interested in the thread's opinions/knowledge/experiences.

Well electric pressure cookers function the same, just at a lower pressure, so you'll need to increase the cook time. It probably depends on the recipe, what's being cooked, etc so I doubt there's a hard and fast rule, but it's probably something like 5-10 minutes longer in an electric.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Niemat posted:

I followed the directions as written even though I have an electric (Instant Pot) and it worked great. Chicken was completely cooked and falling off the bone even though I didn't add any extra time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So from what I gather, the main thing that Instant Pot is good at (pressure-cooking wise, I know it can boil, steam, and saute as well) is much the same thing you'd use slow cookers for, but quicker? Basically anything that benefits from a long, slow cooking time:

• Tough, marbled beef (roast, brisket, shank)
  • Ribs (normal, short, baby back)
  • Chicken thighs and wings
  • Beans

So in theory, I could buy a bunch of bone-in chicken thighs and wings, chop up a bunch of onions, fry up some spices, put it all in the pot with some stock and coconut milk, and have chicken curry in a matter of 15-20 minutes without touching it?

gently caress yeah.

Edit: Will stuff like red wine and vodka cook off while its in the cooker, or will it retain alcohol?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 11, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It will cook anything fast BUT takes about 10 minutes to reach temperature so for some things your overall time will not be any faster than cooking on the stove. But your chicken example is spot on. One of my favorite things to make are turkey wings. I brown then into the pot for 30 minutes with whatever sweet and savory liquid i can mix up, like soy sauce, brown sugar and chicken stock plus herbs and onions. When done I remove the fat, puree the liquid, thicken and serve over potatoes. The meat falls off the bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

So in theory, I could buy a bunch of bone-in chicken thighs and wings, chop up a bunch of onions, fry up some spices, put it all in the pot with some stock and coconut milk, and have chicken curry in a matter of 15-20 minutes without touching it?

Yup. I've done more or less exactly this. It owns.