Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Croatoan posted:

What setting do I use to fry things in my instant pot? Just put in a 220V outlet?
I think the people above thought you meant deep-frying, which you definitely shouldn't try to do. But the instant pot is intended to pan-fry/sear meat if that's what you're trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can do that or you can use a defatter, but definitely the laziest and most thorough way to do it is to stick it in the fridge overnight and lift off the fat layer the next day.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It sounds steamed, but if you cover it in liquid, it's gonna be boiled, which does not sound preferable

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Also my steamed pork buns!

Pressure cookers don't technically boil, but only because the pressure makes the boiling point so much higher. It's still gonna be submerged in water and over 212°, which sounds like a good recipe to make the flavor go into the water and out of the meat.

When you say braise = completely cover with water, is that just for the pressure cooker? Can I ask why? It's not the case for a normal braise.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I always microwave my artichokes. With the time it takes to come up to pressure and to depressurize, I think the pressure cooker would actually take longer overall.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My understanding is that where he really shines is technique. Like inventing the reverse sear. You can put however much salt you want on your steak, but he'll tell you when to salt it and what to do with it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

gently caress yes

My favourite thing to do in my IP is osso bucco. Forget taking hours and hours to cook it. Make a nice mirepoix, sautee it, toss your osso bucco in and let it ride for 30 mins at high pressure. Serve over a heavily parmesan-laden polenta and blow your wife's mind.
Where do you get the shanks though? I live in NYC so you'd think there'd be a place to get normal shanks -- they're selling the whole rest of the pig, right? -- but the only ones I can find are like Whole Foods–level expensive.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Im assuming you've tried the Butcher Block? Or trekked up to stop and shop?
I feel like the Butcher Block or the old scary Eastern European lady butcher would special-order it for like $10+/lb, but it seems like it should be in line with other similar cuts at like $1-3/lb. I haven't seen it at my beloved Food Bazaar, but I haven't looked at Stop & Shop yet, thanks!

It just seems weird that I live in Queens, I can get any other bizarre specialty cut, I can buy tripe or tongue or entire square yards of straight-up skin, but pork shank isn't at some ethnic market for pennies???

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 23, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm not looking for veal specifically, I'm fine with adult pork. I do see "porko bucco" or other braised pork shanks on menus sometimes, so they're available commercially, but just not at grocery stores??? Even googling just tells me about restaurants where I can order it. Maddening.

(I'm not quite enough of a weirdo to show up at the kitchen entrance of one of those restaurants and ask if they can hook me up. YET.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Doh, sorry, I had a brain fart and was thinking veal (which I haven't cooked with) was young pig. I am looking for oink rather than moo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's how this derail started

VERTiG0 posted:

My favourite thing to do in my IP is osso bucco. Forget taking hours and hours to cook it. Make a nice mirepoix, sautee it, toss your osso bucco in and let it ride for 30 mins at high pressure. Serve over a heavily parmesan-laden polenta and blow your wife's mind.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
No, it was totally my fault for derailing with my shank lust :love:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I haven't seen a recipe like that one, it sounds fishy. What chicken parts did you use?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thighs should be a fine sub, that shouldn't be the problem.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
For things like pulled pork, what matters for the texture is not just the temperature it hits, but how long it stays at that temperature. I'm sure Kenji has written it up somewhere, but tl;dr it takes awhile

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Pressure fryers are different than pressure cookers. You can't fry chicken in an instant pot.

You can buy ancient home pressure fryers on ebay. They thrillingly combine the questionable safety of old stovetop pressure cookers with large quantities of superheated oil, plus decades of unknown use and upkeep with a bonus of nobody to sue for your upcoming interesting disfigurements.

You should get one and tell us about it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If someone ever builds a pressure fryer for home/consumer use, you can bet I will be right there for it. It's a shame that something as small as fear of grievous bodily harm keeps this deliciousness out of the kitchen.
They did make home pressure fryers for years and years, and you can always find them on ebay

They stopped making them because of all the lawsuits, but still

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
How long do you have the pork shoulder under pressure? I tried it recently and was way underwhelmed.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had ~2” chunks and did them for 40 minutes, with 15 minute natural release. Took a while to come up to pressure and I could have gotten away with 30.

Finished under the broiler, then chopped. Unbelievably awesome. My whole house smells of pork, as it should.
Thank you, but being honest about my laziness, I am not ever going to cube a pork shoulder before making pulled pork

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Country ribs are like pork chops, not really like ribs or pork shoulders. They're delicious, just not great for pulled pork. I know you can cook a whole pork shoulder at once, I do it occasionally in the oven and all the time in my crockpot, I was just wondering about successful timing in the instant pot

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Agreed, I got one with a badly dented exterior. The interior pot didn't look dented but I exchanged it anyway. You really don't want to gently caress with flaws in a pressurized vessel

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
A Tbsp of salt (yes, even kosher) for 1 cup of rice and 5 chicken legs is mega high. Especially if you're using chicken stock and/or soy sauce. Did you mean a tsp maybe?

When I do instant pot chicken & rice, I use lower-sodium Better than Bouillon for the rice, plus a very light sprinkle on each leg before putting them in.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You don't need liquid to put a pork shoulder in a crock pot. You do need liquid to put anything in a pressure cooker.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Vegetable broth is totally a thing and not remotely new.

For a thicker mouthfeel, can just straight-up add gelatin if you want, or agar/etc. if the goal is to make it vegan. Another option is using an immersion blender on the vegetables afterward -- not to add taste but it'll thicken it.

You can also just use Better than Bouillon in vegetable or in "no chicken"

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 20, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I get mine from Penzey's but next year I'm just going to grow my own. Apparently they aren't difficult to grow, the price is because the harvesting is so painstaking.

Cheap saffron is mostly just to dye the food (and may be dyed itself)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
In between or after this recipe burning, have you made anything else that has come to pressure correctly?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
ATK tests most of their pressure cooker recipes using a different brand of pressure cooker, so it doesn't always match up with the instant pot

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
https://www.unitconverters.net/volume-converter.html

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I've only seen jiaozi as the crescent ones

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Rolled up and stuffed, on a trivet if it fits or on the bony tips if not. I do 45 minutes (depending on how stuffed), then take out and broil for 5 minutes each side. I'm not sure why you're roasting it there unless you're doing wet ribs and your goal is to reduce the sauce? Seems easier just to reduce it but ymmv. Otoh if you want to use the oven you could just oven all the way.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I just microwave my corn to steam it. Shuck, put them on a plate, lay a damp paper towel over them, microwave. I do 6 minutes for 2 ears, I think my mom does 9 minutes for 6 ears in a casserole dish, but it depends on your microwave strength. Couldn’t be easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If the instant pot recipes have more liquid (like soup) or more fat (like pulled pork) or more fiber than he’s used to eating.

But also his definition of diarrhea is using the bathroom “within hours of eating,” which means the questions are really about how he functions the rest of the time