Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My wife would really like a pressure canner. I'd like a pressure cooker. We're trying to eat supper earlier and I think a pressure cooker could help with that. I do most of the cooking and sometimes my inherent laziness means supper isn't served until 9:00pm, and she's trying to get to bed by about that time and she wants to avoid eating just before doing so.

A really big pressure vessel, like Sir Sydney Poitier's new one, looks very appealing. It's just the two of us, though, and I see no need to cook multiple whole chickens at once. Would an extra-large vessel like that lead to problems with smaller food volumes, like just one chicken? Would a smaller cooker be too short for canning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I am (was) Sidney, it is my daughter that is Sydney, thank you very much.

Ack! Sorry!

And thanks, we've pretty much settled on buying separate devices for separate uses, even if they overlap in "being steam bombs".

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I found a nice-looking stovetop pressure cooker (i.e. a thick-walled pot with a lid that seals closed) at a thrift shop and I've been meaning to try it out. After I pressure test it - I'm going to boil water in it on the camp stove in the back yard, and if steam comes out of the vent in the usual way I'll consider it to have passed - I'd like to start cooking with it. Years ago, I had a similar but much older pressure cooker handed down from family when I moved out. It had a kind of trivet thing inside that I always, always used, and this one I found at the thrift shop does not have that. I can buy a round stainless steel trivet on Amazon for very little money, but my question is: is it necessary to have something that keeps the food (say, potatoes to mash) off of the bottom of the pot, or can I cook without the trivet inside? I guess the risk is that things would burn and stick to the bottom.