Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
It's apple season here, and may be old news to some, but wow is prepping apples for canning with an IP such a time saver! 6lbs on high, after washing, quartering, and very lazy coring, and I got soft, pink from peel apples. Put about 1/2 a cup of cider for liquid. After, I put the apple bits through a manual food mill, and made sauce (first step for apple butter).

Going to make a bunch of apple sauce, maple apple jam, and apple butter this weekend. Bought 15lbs of wine sap 2nds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I am weighing two different models of the All American pressure canner, and not sure if I should get the bigger 21.5 qt model 921, or the 15.5qt model 915.

Right now I have a Presto that has a wonky gauge. I have to flick it to get the needle to move...

I can veggies in the summer in pretty decent sizes, but a bigger canner means for those times I don't have 15 jars of green beans, I expect the bigger size would take a lot longer to get up to pressure. Any advice? Also does anyone here have one of these monsters?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
One thing I love about the All American canner is metal on metal seal, no gasket. Just a new blow out nubbin every year or so.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I was surprised when I studied abroad that in Sweden, my host family (who were Polish, but that's a different story) just kept jam after opening in the cupboard. Madness! Somehow it worked. I know people who would throw out jam left out a day... But there it was regularly used, but weeks.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I have the 8qt, which mostly works for what I need, but the idea of doing preset oatmeal would be great, but THAT would be for 2 servings, which it's too big for.

We often have 5-6 over for dinner, so stews, soups, and just a crap load of rice happens.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I enjoy lazy ribs: cook them party way in the IP, ad finished in the oven. Falling apart in tender 2 hours.

Yes, slow smoked ribs are better, but I did say they are lazy....

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I love the term cauldron. Absolutely stealing that.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My two cents, but it not the best slow cooker. Can scorch things that sit flush to the bottom. You can use a rack if there is enough liquid, to move things off the bottom.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I just use a bottle opener. Bends the lid a bit, but they are one shots, anyhow.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
What settings/timing do you use? Not corn season yet here, but it's coming up.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Shuck before, or just au naturel? Although I always have to partially shuck at least, as my corn is organic, and pretty much always has bonus protein. Long ago worked in a corn pest lab, so corn borers don't bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
For steam venting, I saw an awesome little silicone dragon that sits on the vent, shoots it sideways...(didn't buy it, though) But I just toss my silicone stretchy bowl cover over it, as I have pretty nice wood cabinets and worry about damaging them. It's loose, and lets the air out and collects liquids.