Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you have a big pressure cooker, you can actually cook multiple things at once by stacking up stuff in stainless steel bowls. I think dino. was the one who taught me that. I have a big 10qt cooker and it's neat cooking 4 different things in there at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
How old were they? I have only had this happen on a bag of pintos that were multiple years old.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Most vegetable matter will be unidentifiable mush after 20 minutes at pressure. That's what you want for a Texas style chili though. Meat and gravy are the only textures in there.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
How can you call his recipes salty, when he literally doesn't tell you how much salt to use? He just lists salt as an ingredient, which you should do to taste.

Edit: Yeah, just checked 10 of his recipes, and the only time he gives an amount for salt is for breads, which makes total sense.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 20, 2018

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Don't think that I have ever seen a cross cut pork shank. Hocks, sure.

Osso bucco is veal though, which is harder and harder to find anywhere in general.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oven roux is definitely a thing, but the ATK method doesn't add oil. They just straight up dark toast a bunch of flour. I'm gonna be making my biannual giant batch of gumbo in a week or two, so was planning on trying a small batch done the ATK way to see how it is.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

It doesn't sound good.

E: Better make sure your thighs are boneless. Not too spice y'all, only 1/4 tsp black pepper.

The rest of the recipe is obviously not useful, but I am gonna give the flour technique a shot. I like my roux super dark, so the oil always starts to juuuusssst smoke at the end. I am hoping that toasting the flour before mixing into oil can get me the dark roux flavor, without the hint of acrid burned oil I always get.

If not, I'm only going to be making about a 1/2 gallon of that recipe, while simultaneously making 5 gallons of normal, so no big loss.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Julia Child's beef bourguignon. You'll just need to cut the time to 20ish minutes at pressure, and simmer the sauce for a little longer after since there was no evaporation during cooking.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Onions, celery and mushrooms will give off a boatload of liquid, especially if you salt them early. If you are going light on those, and heavy on the other veggies, I would add a little liquid, otherwise you're probably fine.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Hello pressure cooker thread. My new Instant Pot Pro 8qt arrived today. First up is the Kenji chicken chili verde. What else should I prioritize making with my new gadget.

I like beans. I have many beans. I will be making lots of beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

The carnitas was bangin and a big thing of pork should be pretty cheap.

Oh shot of course. Def doing this. Thanks.

Outrail posted:

chilli

rice and bean stew

100% doing both.

Arkhamina posted:

I enjoy lazy ribs: cook them party way in the IP, ad finished in the oven. Falling apart in tender 2 hours.

Yes, slow smoked ribs are better, but I did say they are lazy....

In love with my smoker and make ribs all the time to the point my wife gently told me to chill. Don’t think I can justify burning my rib capital for this.

Fantastic option for most people though.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

imo the green pork chili is better than chicken

you can always do the instant pot butter chicken recipe

Hmmmm tough call. You’re probably right about the pork. May change plans to that if I don’t want to also do carnitas immediately.

Butter chicken is absolutely happening tonight.

Thank you all! More ideas absolutely welcome.