Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Fry the bones to get a bit of brown on them using Saute on the Instant Pot.

One thing I've found annoying with my instant pot, when doing a two part cook, the lid wont go back on properly again straight after the first cook (after adding some additional ingredients).
Residual heat/pressure throws up the lock. But once I do get it on, it seems fine, it thinks it's up to pressure properly and starts counting down, but it isnt and I end up with a scorched bottom.

Anyone had this?

I think next time maybe I'll try throwing in a splash of cold water, or even a few ice cubes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
And how much water is in your ingredients. Think tomatoes, carrots etc.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Trabant posted:

I really want to try the bolognese, but the 30-minute browning on medium saute in the Instantpot... That sounds excessive, right?

It's not essential, it just gives a deeper flavour.

You can make the same recipe with no browning at all, it will just be less tasty.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I think regarding frozen stuff, it takes longer to get up to pressure and does a fair bit of thawing in that time. From my very unscientific observations.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I cant decide whether the nonslip base on these mixing bowls that I've had for years will hold up inside my pressure cooker? https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Mixing-Bowls-Black/dp/B0098OJN2K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Doesnt mention oven temps, but are dishwasher safe. Says it's silicone in the description, but no idea on the glue holding it together either.

Whats the worst that could happen?...

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Well, I'm assuming that nobody would be foolish enough to cook meat in water. As far as cooking it in the pressure cooker, I've tried both uncovered and fully submerged with about the same sauce (not pork ribs, but other meat) and it turned out dry and weird when it wasn't fully covered. I really don't know why, to be honest. Other places on the internet say that you don't have to cover the meat, but it hasn't worked out well for me in the past so I'm hesitant to try again.

Hip Pressure Cooking made this video, which I haven't watched yet because I'm at work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5UehZMxSs0

Sounds overcooked?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

With the exception of the Mexican, my impression was the seasoning was very similar in the others.

Yeah, but also I doubt the whole of Turkey uses the exact same mix in their doner, or the whole of the Levant for their shwarma etc. There's room for manoeuvre in each.

Döner is a Turkish word, from dönmek ("to turn" or "to rotate" or "instant pot").
Gyro comes from Greek γύρος ('turn' or "15 minutes on manual");
Shawarma is an Arabic rendering of Turkish çevirme [tʃeviɾˈme] 'turning' or "new rubber seal",

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Only if they're all clumped together and you cant break them apart. (imo)

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

pootiebigwang posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-black-bean-chorizo-recipe.html

Made this and it's ridiculous how easy and flavorful and tasty it is. Also made from dry beans with no soaking required. Came out perfect. I also added some garlic, mushrooms, green peppers, and a tbsp of fish sauce and soy sauce and it came out heavenly. Sour cream mixed with a bit of cumin and cilantro on top really hits the spot.

Please forgive my British bean ignorance, but not having a great deal of exposure to beans much beyond heinz and tinned kidney...........is this a meal as is or a side dish? :-S

Help, I want to get in on this bean thing.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Trastion posted:

Anyone done peppers, like Anaheim, Poblano, etc in the IP? I want to make Chili in the IP but I want to make a Texas style that I use like 10 different types of peppers. I also like most of the milder ones to be big 1-2" chunks. I had a mishap with some Snap Peas in the IP so want to make sure they will withstand the pressure.

Not made it myself, but http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/pressure-cooker-chile-con-carne-texas-red-chili-recipe.html

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Kenji's Mushroom Risotto is probably the epitome of pressure cooker zero effort:maximum flavour, for me.

I've never made it exactly as per the recipe (or probably any recipe ever), so cant comment on his exact saltiness level.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
The one I remember reading just mixes dry toasted flour in to cold stock, no fat.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
It's written like that because its a fudge based on the crock pot recipe.

Boneless breasts or thighs cooked below liquid (rather than steamed over) in an instant pot are done in about 3 minutes at pressure if you then leave them until the pressure releases without venting.
Hell I reckon frozen breast/thighs are done in, or maybe even less then, 10 minutes at pressure.

Pre-shredded chicken is going to cook as soon as the thing hits pressure, if not before. Thought I cant really ever imagine pre-shredding anyway.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

marshalljim posted:

Kinda weird how so many Instant Pot soup recipes revolve around dumping a box full of broth in there. The whole point of a pressure cooker is being able to speed up cooking processes that normally take a while. Take any classic Jewish chicken soup recipe that starts with a whole bird and do it much more quickly in an Instant Pot, instead. No boxes of broth required.

Edit: For example, this looks like a good, standard chicken soup recipe where the author does both stovetop and Instant Pot variations. You could even replicate the traditional simmer/scum-skim step with the Instant Pot's saute function before covering the pot and bringing it up to pressure. Not really necessary, though.

Wow, that is one full pot!

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I don't know if it's my instant pot specifically, but I've never had much luck opening the pot and then bringing it up to pressure for a second time, with anything saucey/stewy. Especially if there's lentil or similar in there.
It reckons it's come to pressure, starts counting down but it hasn't, and I end up with a burnt bottom. Unless I go way over the top with extra liquid almost turning it in to a soup.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

wormil posted:

It's your pot, mine has no problem like that. Several people have said they need a lot of liquid to get a seal, which only makes sense if you have a leak. The more liquid, the longer it takes to steam and seal. You could try pushing down on the lid when you first hear steam and see if it starts quicker. I have made recipes with only the liquid in the ingredients and had no trouble.

This is only once it's already done a cook, when it's piping hot. I can start a cook from cold no problem.

But it's the pot thinking it's sealed and therefore counting down that's the issue I have. You think everything is fine, but then the bottom is scorched and whatever I've added to the pot at the end isn't cooked properly. Unless I make it overly wet.

e: vvv it's about 4 years old.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 30, 2018

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
My instant pot has been in the cupboard for a while. I put it straight on to manual the other day to sauté onions as I was prepping the rest of the ingredients to chuck in, and it started the count down before I got the lid on. I dont think I've ever had it do that before?

I've given it all an extra wipe down and wiggled all the valves and buttons. Will see what happens next time.
Its coming up to about 6 years old, though I go through phases of using it lots or not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Yeah sorry, not very clear! Manual pressure cook mode, but just using the heat up time to saute. But it began counting down without the lid on, let alone actually being up to pressure.

I'm guessing some debris in one of the sensors, or just a dead controller/sensor.