Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So I have this steel pressure cooker from, like, the 1940's or 50's that my grandmother used for canning. Hasn't been put to the test in about 15 years at this point however.

On a scale of 1 to Dead, how likely do you think it is to explode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I've acquired the families All-American 921&1/2, circa 1930 or thereabouts. Aside from getting the gauge replaced and changing the pet cock for a weighted valve (since it hasn't been used since Nana died back in '03, possibly longer), anything I need to be aware of so that it doesn't blow up my house?

E: Upon checking the start of the thread it appears I asked this question three years ago and then forgot while I took my sweet time actually getting my hands on the drat thing.

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 6, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I made my first jam. :3:

Pear Cranberry w/ Cinnamon.

Also put a new valve & gauge on the AA, and polished it a bit:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I used the pressure cooker as a vessel to water bath can it, unsealed. IIRC pressure cooking jams isn't recommended as (since there are zero recipes with pressure times) it will render the fruit into some kind of very unappetizing overcooked goop. :v:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Made a savory balsamic winter apple butter tonight, lots of warming spices thrown into the mix. Used the instant pot to pressure cook the 5lbs of apples in 20 minutes and shave about 8 hours off the whole cooking process as a result. Netted 2L of the stuff and it is divine. Since I used Galas I was able to drastically cut down on how much sugar I'd need to add, and subbed in maple syrup as half that amount for a richer flavor.

Jars are from the 50's. :ssh:

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 12, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Turns out I didn't cook the butter long enough and it remains a spiced and delicious apple sauce. Think I should enjoy fall-flavor apple sauce, or risk flavor changes by rendering it down further and reprocessing the batch? :confused:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I was up till 1am waiting for that loving apple butter to become buttery. :negative:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
How much did it cost them to drum up 800 5 star reviews and add 100+ "found this helpful" clicks to each of them. :psyduck:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Grem posted:

Gonna use my instantpot for the first time to make my meals for next week. What's simple, doesn't use fish (office policy, kinda), and has like a 0% failure rate?

This one will tick all those boxes, OP :tipshat:

https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/smokey-sweet-potato-and-black-bean-chili/ Is pretty good though, was the first recipe in mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It was stormy as hell today, but the farm market near me was continuing their fire sale on apples and mysteriously had ultra-cheap strawberries for the season.

So I made 3L of Strawberry Applesauce and 1.5L of Strawberry Balsamic Jelly. :3:

I still have 2kg of Strawberries left, so I'm thinking I might make a Strawberry Lavender Caramel glaze that I found a recipe for, and then maybe something strange like a Strawberry Kiwi jam.

This is a really fun hobby and my friends are loving the free botulism I keep handing out.

E: Wait, there's an actual canning thread on page 3 of this subforum? Why y'all been awkwardly accepting my random rear end in here instead of pointing me over there, lawdy.

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 22, 2018