Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Several times now I've heated up my pressure cooker on high until it reached pressure and had a huge thick layer of burnt crap on the bottom, ruining what I was making even when I had plenty of liquid in to start. Is the "heat on high until max pressure" thing not true for some recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I was making bolognese so it was soupy as hell to start, but at the same time the bottom was probably mostly tightly packed meat when I closed the lid. Electric stove if that makes a difference.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Well, that's the thing. How do I keep it loose when the lid is closed? I imagine even the most vigorous stirring won't keep it all loose for more than a minute or two.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Try 2 today also resulted in burnt bottom, and I got it up to high pressure at a way lower heat than before. Burning wasn't severe and I was able to salvage it with some care but it was definitely there. Maybe if I brought it to a roiling boil before sealing? I dunno, a bolognese isn't the most expensive sauce to throw away but I'm wary of going for a third batch that might end up having the same problem.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 16, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The problem with pork belly is that there's way too many good ways to cook it so I get choice paralysis

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

If I got that cookbook how would I have to adjust the time for a stovetop cooker that reaches 15psi? Is there some sort of calculation I can plug in, or should I just wing it?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Does anyone use a stovetop anymore? A thingie on my current one's lid broke and I'm trying to resist using this as an excuse to just get an instant pot instead. Mostly I'm just leery of the fact that stovetop and electric have different cook times and recipes rarely specify both or even which kind their times are meant for.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Well, I'm assuming that nobody would be foolish enough to cook meat in water. As far as cooking it in the pressure cooker, I've tried both uncovered and fully submerged with about the same sauce (not pork ribs, but other meat) and it turned out dry and weird when it wasn't fully covered. I really don't know why, to be honest. Other places on the internet say that you don't have to cover the meat, but it hasn't worked out well for me in the past so I'm hesitant to try again.

Hip Pressure Cooking made this video, which I haven't watched yet because I'm at work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5UehZMxSs0

Cooking meat in water owns though, twice cooked pork owns

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bulgogi is understood to be made with beef; the dae (sic) ji in dae ji bulgogi means pig. You coulda just said you made bulgogi. :eng101:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

So, how about that new InstantPot coming that can do canning and higher PSI?

It'll finally be time to retire my old stovetop that I have to babysit more than a regular pot!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Speaking of which, any word on the instant pot max? There was an article or two back in March and then nothing even though iirc the release date for the thing was supposed to be some time this month?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Also, https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Plus-Programmable-Sterilizer/dp/B075CWJ3T8?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=7d0b30666d1611e89b4a5a85c909964f0INT

8qt instant pot is on sale for 100 (down from 160 normal price) for the next 5.5 hours as of this post. This is the biggest sale it's ever gotten, maybe in preparation for the max getting released soon?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

How much for just an 8qt electric pressure cooker that reaches 15psi, has a timer, and nothing else

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Recently I've been bulk prepping soupy stuff that I can portion out, freeze, thaw individually and then just eat easily over rice, like gumbo/curry/tikka masala etc. Then I scooped an instant pot in the Target price error bruhaha a few days back and it occurred to me that the pressure cooker probably excels at that sort of thing. Any good recommendations for recipes like what I mentioned? I have a stovetop pressure cooker but honestly I've been less inclined to use it because babysitting the heat is such a pain on an electric stove so I'm pretty excited to be lazy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wow the IP is almost completely silent except for beeps when it transitions between cooking cycles, it's really weird to compare it to my stovetop cooker which always reminded me of a hissing viper ready to lunge and end my life at any moment.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Neon Noodle posted:

You can turn off the beeps too.

Holy poo poo how do you do it

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone given this recipe for Hainan chicken rice a try? I just got back from Singapore so I'm kinda fiending but my attempts at making it at home have always been disappointing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Curry can be salted at the very end after it's finished cooking, but yeah for other stuff sometimes you just have to believe or be conservative with your salting and hope you can make it up afterwards

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone had good experiences with PC biryani? Followed the twosleevers recipe and the first time I ended up with the water coming nowhere near covering the rice so I ended up with hard undercooked but somehow still sludgy rice, the second time I added a little more water and am currently chowing down on tasty biryani flavored congee.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah I use the pc for convenience so this sounds like it's defeating the purpose of that. Thanks for the tips, I'll look into putting my Dutch oven to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I dunno about your recipe but you can save your kitchen in any case by covering the release valve with a kitchen towel. Helps keep the steam from billowing everywhere even if you don't get gunk in your valve.