Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

angerbeet posted:

Rice cooked at high pressure for 4 minutes with a quick release is suspect to me, I've always natural released rice.

I don't see why that recipe wouldn't work aside from that, 2 cups of liquid is plenty to bring it to pressure. You're not getting a BURN warning or something?

I make a Miso Risotto in my stovetop pressure cooker 5 min on low with quick release and it seems fine really. I take it up to pressure quickly though, I don't really know anything about electric pressure cookers, if it's too slow to get up to pressure then lack of water could be an issue?

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Yooo post this miso risotto recipe, that sounds like a combination of two things that I love.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/pressure-cooker-miso-risotto-recipe.html

This one. I do a lot of variations on this basic recipe but it is perfect for when Iv'e got in from work and want something quick. You can have this all whipped together in like 20-30 mins.

I've used white miso, brown miso, added seaweed etc etc.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Upgraded my hob to Induction last week and it's really great with the pressure cooker now. If you're on an trad electric I would recommend induction now.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I use a bean to water ratio of 1 to 3 for pressure cooking dried beans.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is that volume or weight?

I do it by weight, I try to avoid measuring anything by volume. Though I'm pretty sure in Salt Fat Acid Heat she uses volume as do many if the online resources for pressure cooking. It does mean I use more water than strictly needed but it doesn't really matter as I drain the cooked beans anyway.

If I'm cooking something with beans in it like a chilli where I want the beans to breakdown the 3:1 by weight seems pretty good for that.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

THS posted:

a lot of instant pot is trial and error. i probably hosed up the first 5 things i cooked with it

Doubly so if you have a normal pressure cooker and not an instant pot. That and I'm sure half the folk out there making recipes have broken pressure cookers.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I would say any Indian pressure cooker recipe that measures in peeps or whistles is pretty solid in my experience. Fairly easy to convert them to normal pressure cooker so I assume easy to convert to instant pot.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I do it all I one, as I did in my Chili recipe for the ICSA, though I'm on mobile so can't link it. 45 mins all in.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cheers dude.

I've never used an Instant Pot but I like the stove top as it's also just a massive pan for when I want one of those.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have an induction hob so my stovetop gets to pressure really quickly and let's me set the temperature really well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

poverty goat posted:

I have an old Mirro 12qt stovetop PC but its gasket is stretched out and hard to get to seal anymore, and they don't exist anymore. The third party company that used to make new gaskets for them stopped making them and all of those gaskets are gone; I bought one on ebay, the only place it was supposedly in stock, and what they sent me was totally wrong. Any suggestions? Am I just out a pressure cooker?

... and any recommendations for a new 12-16qt stovetop PC that will work on induction? I mostly use it for chicken stock; once or twice a year I make two full pots of stock, most of which gets boiled down to 1/3 and frozen into knockoff demiglace cubes that i throw into savory things or just use as demi-glace all year. And right now I'm down to like 8 cubes with no resolution to the gasket situation :ohdear:.

I have a this one

https://www.kuhnrikon.co.uk/pressure-cookers/duromatic-inox-pressure-cooker-long-handle

And I would say it's really good. I use it on an induction hob almost every week.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I use this recipe
https://www.seriouseats.com/pressure-cooker-miso-risotto-recipe

Which I think is the same essential recipe as the mushroom one posted.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

For steam venting, I saw an awesome little silicone dragon that sits on the vent, shoots it sideways...(didn't buy it, though) But I just toss my silicone stretchy bowl cover over it, as I have pretty nice wood cabinets and worry about damaging them. It's loose, and lets the air out and collects liquids.

I just use a wooden spoon.

On the topic of making daal and curries once you translate whistles into time there's a whole world of amazing ones you can make. I don't have an instant pot, just a pressure cooker, but I assume you can translate them in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

How's that even possible.