Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Peep Jerky posted:

I've got an Instant Pot that I've used a couple times. I remember the manual said it's usually recommended to let it cool down for like 15 minutes before releasing the pressure valve, but I feel like most of the recipes I've seen don't factor the extra time into the cooking time. What do goons with pressure cookers recommend? If you release the pressure right away, do you put a towel or something over the valve so you're not filling your kitchen cabinets with steam?

When I use the quick release, I put the cooker on a trivet on the kitchen island so it's away from under the cabinets. If you don't have an island, you can just put it on a chair in the middle of the room or something, or even outside.

Alternately, you can just put it in the sink and run cold water over it until the pressure drops. Much quicker and no steam to release. This may affect your cooking times slightly, since it prevents any residual-heat cooking called for in some recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Neon Noodle posted:

Do not do this with an Instant Pot. It's electric.

Whoops, I forgot about that fact in my response. Yeaaaaah...don't do that with an electric pressure cooker. My bad.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Harrow posted:

Are there pressure cooker brands/models that one should avoid? I'm looking at getting a pressure cooker and while there are plenty of "buy this one" recommendations out there, I'm curious if, like, I just go to Target and buy one, what are the chances it'll be crappy?

Probably not a great chance it'll be crappy, but for something that literally turns itself into a pressurized bomb during normal use, I'd do a little bit of research before picking one up. Also, who actually goes into stores any more, around actual people and their disgusting germs? Be like a normal person and buy a Presto stainless steel 8-quart pressure cooker off of Amazon like everyone else.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Niemat posted:

Is there any difference in cook time between an electric and stovetop pressure cooker for this recipe?

Also, just as a general question, is there a good way to convert stovetop pressure cooker recipes to work with electric pressure cookers? I've read various things, but I'm interested in the thread's opinions/knowledge/experiences.

Well electric pressure cookers function the same, just at a lower pressure, so you'll need to increase the cook time. It probably depends on the recipe, what's being cooked, etc so I doubt there's a hard and fast rule, but it's probably something like 5-10 minutes longer in an electric.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Any tips for making beef stock? I got a couple of marrow bones for cheap, and I wanna make some broth from them. What're the steps for making it in an Instant Pot? Do I still need to blanch and roast the bones or anything?

This is a pretty good starting off point. Roast the bones, throw in a pot with some veg scraps, cover with water, and pressure cook it for an hour or so. After it's done, strain through cheesecloth, let cool to room temp, chill, then scrape the fat off the top. There, you have beef stock and some suet to use as a cooking fat!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

For pressure cookers, I'd say go with the biggest capacity you can (aside from something massive like pressure canner-sized). You'll never really wish you had a smaller cooker, but you'll frequently find yourself wishing you had a larger one if you go too small. I have an 8 quart Presto Stainless Steel and it's the perfect size.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Pressure cooking marrow bones for stock turned out quite well. After straining out the bones and veg scraps, the broth was clearer than I expected and had a nice jiggle to it even though it was still very hot. I assume that means I did it correctly :woop:

I wish beef/pork bones were cheaper so I could buy more at a time. I mean, they're still super cheap, but I'm stingy as gently caress. Also, I don't have the space for it, but a 6+ quart cooker is quite a bit more useful than 3 quart. Maybe when I get a new apartment, I'll upgrade from a Duo Mini.

You should set an alert on a site like slickdeals or camelcamelcamel for a larger size pressure cooker. The Instant Pot goes on sale at least a couple times a year, and for Prime Day a little while back a really nice model was on a steep discount.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You don't NEED to reduce your stock, really. It just makes it more concentrated. I don't do it a whole lot, personally.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

There are a lot of guidelines out there for how long to pressure cook different varieties of unsoaked dried beans. What's a good interval to use when you try them after the initial cook but they're not done? I cooked some red kidney beans yesterday and they weren't done after 30 minutes at pressure, so I cooked them for another four minutes, and now they're a bit more overdone than I'd like. I feel like any interval shorter than that is going to be a real time sink, having to wait for the pressure to release, and then bringing it back up to pressure if they're not done. If I had any patience, I wouldn't be using a pressure cooker to cook them. :colbert:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A 30 lb. turkey? How goddamn big is your pressure cooker?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mikey Purp posted:

Yes, you can get pretty much identical results to the slow cooker in a pressure cooker, and it takes about a quarter of the time. Throw away your slow cooker and get an instant pot, then you'll have the best of both worlds.

Pressure cookers are like this as far as how long poo poo takes to cook:

code:
SLOW---------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------FAST

Slow cooker                                     Oven                                          Pressure Cooker
As someone who likes to cook food and then eat the food, I don't know why anyone would gently caress around with a slow cooker. I've done the whole "turn it on in the morning so you have a warm and hearty meal for you when you get home from work!" and it always just turns into overcooked mushy slop. gently caress slow cookers.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

QuarkMartial posted:

So yeah. Best beans Ive had in a while and they were super low effort. Soaked the beans overnight. Drained and rinsed. Sweated/sauteed some shallots I had laying around with some garlic. Added 8 cups of chicken broth (made with Better than bullion because I'm lazy af and it's decent), the beans, and my leftover ham bone. Cooked under pressure for 26 minutes, then let them release naturally for 20ish more. Took the bone out, removed the meat on it, diced the meat up very fine and returned it. Blended the beans a little to thicken.

Typing it out makes it seem more complicated than it was. So drat easy for Sunday night meal prep. Now I just need a slab of onion and some Louisiana hot sauce (somehow I am missing all my vinegar based sauces...).

What kind of beans were they? 26 minutes at pressure for beans that have been soaked seems like an awful long time to me, not to mention the 20 minute natural release. What was the consistency like when they were done?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What's the best way to cook polenta in a pressure cooker without burning some to the bottom of the pot? I reduce the heat to the bare minimum to just get a trickle of steam once it comes up to pressure, but I still get some that burns to the bottom. Should I keep the heat lower while bringing it up to pressure, instead of full-blast? I think that would work, but I don't want to overcook it and it'd probably take forever to get it up to pressure.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've pressure cooked kidney beans without soaking them and ate them without issue. They're so much better than from a can, it's kind of unbelievable.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

Yes.
Edit, learned the hard way, through experience. Almost every pulled pork recipe has ridiculous times like 30 minutes or 50 minutes but the pork will be too tough to pull apart. It needs the 90 minutes.

Just this past weekend I cubed, browned, and pressure cooked a 5 lb. boneless pork shoulder to eat with some bok choy. I only cooked it for 60 minutes followed by a natural release, and it was extremely soft and shreddable after just one hour. In fact, I was a bit disappointed by how soft it was - 90 minutes would have turned it into a paste. Might be because I chopped it into cubes first, or that I use a stainless stovetop model that may have a little higher pressure than an Instant Pot, but YMMV.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scythe posted:

I agree that undercooking/lack of seasoning/low quality beans are more common causes of bland beans, but excessive liquid can definitely cause lack of flavor as well. The liquid you’re theoretically pouring off is effectively bean stock—imagine making chicken stock with 2x the water you need, then just pouring out half of it at the end and calling it a day. You are going to have a way shittier, less flavorful stock than if you used the right amount of water in the first place.

I intentionally pressure cook all my beans in lots of excess water, up to first fill line, just for the bean stock it provides. It's awesome.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

What do you do with the extra water? Make it part of the soup or drain it for some other purpose?
;edited for clarity

I store it in the fridge or freezer for use with soups, deglazing, and anything savory that needs added liquid. The bean flavor is mild but still helps to add a layer of complexity to whatever I'm cooking.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Eeyo posted:

I bet this has been asked before. It's been ~ 5 years since I bought my pressure cooker so I think it's time to change the gaskets. I have a presto 6-quart pressure cooker (https://www.gopresto.com/product/6-quart-stainless-steel-pressure-cooker-0136210). Do I need to replace all 3 of the seals (the main ring, the overpressure popout, and the handle lock pin gasket)? Or just the black parts (main ring and popout).

So, do I just need this: https://www.gopresto.com/product/sealing-ring-overpressure-plug-pack-09936

Or do I need this as well: https://www.gopresto.com/product/gasket-for-air-vent-cover-lock-85660

You may not "need" either of them, but in my opinion if you're replacing one, you may as well replace them all. The cost certainly isn't prohibitive.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

poverty goat posted:

Do I need to worry about a lightly used rubber ring that's sat in a garage for a decade?

They're not expensive, so I'd definitely replace that without question due to possible heat/dry rot. Better safe than sorry if it sat for that long.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ranter posted:

Yes sorry if it wasn't clear enough... I wouldn't be asking if it was a whole smoked ham hock (which was pretty loving awesome despite being added at the start with the beans)

but I want to get rid of this frozen sliced ham and thought maaaaybe I could throw it into the beans. I was skeptical too hence asking here, and you've now confirmed so thank you. Will it turn to mush/disintegrate?

I wouldn't throw it in to cook under pressure with the beans, but I'd recommend thawing it (microwave it if you need to), dicing it into tiny bits, and cooking in a pan with some oil until it gets nice and crispy and brown. Throw that into the beans for some texture and some background hammy flavor.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

When I cook dry beans I just cover the beans, regardless of amount, in about an inch of water and go crazy. Ta-da, now you have perfectly cooked beans and also bean broth with which you can make soup or whatever else.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

pr0k posted:

:siren:SYSTEM MESSAGE:siren:

REPLACE THOSE OLD-rear end GASKETS

My ten-year-old bigass Presto suddenly bowed out at the bottom. Because I'm stuck with a poo poo flattop electric that makes it unusable. They said it was overheated trying to maintain pressure with an old gasket and they wouldn't replace it. (DICKS!) They said that the owners' manual tells you to change the fuckin gasket so suck it.

(I had replaced the emergency blowout hole plug thing but not the main gasket because it fuckin seemed fine.

How often did/do you use your cooker? I have a five year old stainless Presto that I use about once a week. The gasket seems to be in fine shape, but the blowout plug is starting to dry out and occasionally falls out during washing and I figure I'll have to replace that sooner or later. May as well do both at the same time.

Also I just checked current prices versus how much I paid and it's going for almost double what I paid. Thanks, Obama.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

OXO make an excellent fat separator jug which has its own anus. Rather than relying on a spout with an opening at the bottom, this thing allows you to squeeze the handle which unclenches the anus and the fat-free liquid is excreted into your vessel of choice. It cost about twice as much as the one with the spout but it was a worthwhile investment.

I have this and can confirm it's a really good anus.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I have a non-Oxo anus-style separator and I found that after a few years, nasty scunge was accumulating around the sphincter, and I couldn't see a way of cleaning it without pulling the sphincter away from the measuring cup, which felt like a great way to make it leak. Does the Oxo somehow resist that problem?

I gently pull up the sphincter and sphincter arm and run a pipe cleaner in and around the anus which has worked well and I haven't noticed any leaks thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm trying to improve the quality of the food I'm eating, and I'm hoping a pressure cooker can be a useful tool in that.

My day job is pretty stressful so I don't have much mental energy left for any sort of complex cooking, hit and miss even at the weekends so meal prep can be difficult.

I was hoping I could get some simple pointers for ways I could use a pressure cooker for some set-and-forget meals. I had a look at a few recipe sites but a) there's a thousand and b) they're often "pressure cook this thing and then also fry that and chop this and oh you're going to have a lie down and order delivery instead? OK".

Perfect options would be where I can chuck some dried and/or frozen stuff into the pot, run it, then eat. The world isn't perfect though so I'm willing to try most anything, but really if it gets beyond two or three cooking methods with timers (boil, microwave) I'm not going to do it, as much as I want to. I suspect beans will feature heavily.

Also fine if it's weekend food prep which is "chuck a lot of dried/frozen/fresh stuff in, run it, and freeze it". So long as I don't have to too actively engage in the cooking process, which is sad, I know, I used to like cooking.

I do have an Instant Pot, I've just not taken it out of the box.

Based on your circumstances, you might be better served with a slow cooker as opposed to a pressure cooker. Pressure cooking is just like normal cooking, only faster, whereas many/most slow cookers recipes are "throw into slow cooker, set on low/high for 4/6/8 hours, eat" which seems more up your alley currently.