Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
While this recipe is really easy and not fancy, it's also really delicious, and makes great leftovers for work over the next few days. I've usually add ginger, and I've added squash to it too, and you could throw in a lot of other vegetables. Add peppers if you want more spice, etc.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html

Kalista fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

The Midniter posted:

You don't NEED to reduce your stock, really. It just makes it more concentrated. I don't do it a whole lot, personally.

I don't either. I take a couple chicken carcasses, other bones, some wings and a drumstick or two, leftover vegetable scraps that I haven't fed to my worms, throw a chopped onion, carrots, celery, peppercorns, and bay leaf in there, fill the pressure cooker up halfway and let it go for an hour. Then I strain it out over a colander first, then fine cheesecloth.

I usually get about 12 cups of broth per batch that I portion out into silicon bread (2 cups) and muffin molds (1/3 cup), then freeze overnight. Next day I vacuum seal them into individual bricks (for the 2 cup portions) and packs of three. If I do 3-4 batches in a weekend, I don't have to make stock again (or buy any) for 3-4 months. I use it in dishes on a 1 to 1 ratio for wherever stock is called for.

My broth isn't very clear if that's what you're going for, but it's got lots of gelatin and is very tasty.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

poverty goat posted:

It'll make short work of dry beans and grains and you can usually skip straight to the end without soaking if you're in a hurry. You can also supposedly make paneer in it with slightly better returns than on the stovetop.

Has anyone in the thread made paneer with a pressure cooker? I'd like to try it this week, and have a stovetop pressure cooker instead of an instant pot, so it would be nice to get tips from someone who's tried it.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Any recommendations for cooking time for dry (but soaked) hominy? Going to make pozole for dinner tonight, and will pressure cook the pork and hominy separately because I think the hominy doesn't need as much time as the pork shoulder, but would love to be able to do them together if the timing works out right.

I haven't found much information online that's just for the hominy and not for the whole stew made with canned hominy.