Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife bought an Instant Pot for making rice but it's just as quick to make it on the stove. But I have made a lot of other things. My favorite so far is turkey wings, usually with onions + something sweet (oranges, mangos, pineapple, apples, brown sugar). Red curry chicken thighs. Pork roast a bunch of different ways with different fruits. Only pork roast needs about 10-15 minutes longer than recommended in the manual. I make bean soup about twice per week. Beef stew. Potatoes. (faux) Roasted brussel sprouts. Really it has changed how I cook. I'm thinking of buying another stainless cooking pot. My only complaint is that the cooking pot sometimes takes rigorous scrubbing to clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My favorite so far is:. The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Machine, Both Stovetop and Electric

A blog called, Dad Cooks Dinner that has some pressure cooker recipes.

Hippressurecooking.com

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It will cook anything fast BUT takes about 10 minutes to reach temperature so for some things your overall time will not be any faster than cooking on the stove. But your chicken example is spot on. One of my favorite things to make are turkey wings. I brown then into the pot for 30 minutes with whatever sweet and savory liquid i can mix up, like soy sauce, brown sugar and chicken stock plus herbs and onions. When done I remove the fat, puree the liquid, thicken and serve over potatoes. The meat falls off the bone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made bean soup in my Instantpot today, delicious. I generally make soup/stew from whatever is in the fridge and this is the first ever I wrote down what I used. My family doesn't like spicy food and this is not spicy at all. I didn't add any salt because the salt cured ham hock is super duper salty, I've already learned my lesson. I could have used more of some spices but usually I don't measure at all so I wanted an idea of what a specific quantity would taste like.

ts = 1 teaspoon

2 onion
2 serrano
1/2 cup frozen corn
ts garlic minced
ts Alton Brown chili powder
ts pureed chipotle/adobo
ts cumin
ts smoked paprika
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1 small apple diced
48 oz of unsalted beef stock
1 - 12 oz salt cured ham hock

bad picture

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Which Instant Pot do I want and do I want an Instant Pot specifically?

I can't answer because I've never owned a different pressure cooker and mine was a gift so I never researched them, but I have a Duo and really like it if that helps.

Niemat posted:

... dent ...

I would send that question to Instant Pot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Re: size
Mine is a 6 qt, family of 4, and I've never wished for a bigger pot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Broth is just watered down stock right? What is the purpose? I use stock for everything.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I use a potato masher on my bean soup so quick release makes no difference. I use quick release when I'm in a hurry or if I don't want something to overcook, otherwise I mostly use slow release.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That, and I didn't get a pressure cooker for taco meat.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

there are pressure cookers that are stainless. not everything is an isntapot

Instant Pots are stainless. They do sell sell non-stick inserts but you have to buy them separately.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I like turtles posted:

Makes good sense. Maybe I'll have an excuse to do it next year.

I recently got https://www.amazon.com/Indian-Instant-Pot%C2%AE-Cookbook-Traditional/dp/1939754542/ for like $2 on kindle and have been making tons of indian food.
Are there any other awesome pressure cooker cookbooks I should get?

I don't know if it's awesome but I like it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0804185328/

The Indian Instant Pot looks interesting and I think I will buy it. Are the ingredients reasonably accessible? I live in a smallish town that doesn't have much variety outside the basics and there are few Indians here.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ranter posted:

Hackers will use it to bypass security settings and turn your instant pot into a bomb.

It happened to my aunt in Canada. And then she died waiting in line for socialized medicine.

But yeah, I've yet to use my instant pot and thought, 'wish I had Bluetooth on this.'

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Casull posted:

...if the features of the Ultra are worth getting over the capacity of the Duo80.

I use my Duo like this: I put stuff in it, seal the lid, press "manual" then adjust the time. Sometimes I use the "saute" function first. Once I switched from high pressure to low pressure. For me, extra functions are clutter. I have a pressure cooker so I don't have to slow cook, or set timers. The Duo does have buttons for various things but I never use them because I like the control and certainty of a manual timer.

tldr: go with higher capacity like the others said.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
After getting an Instant Pot I got rid of our slow cooker and put the dutch ovens in the attic. It falls under the category of why didn't I do this sooner.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Chemmy posted:

Eh, your instant pot doesn't reduce things the same way as being in the oven low and slow for a while. I still use my dutch ovens for things.

Take the top off and saute. I reduce liquids all the time. And you need less liquid to start with so it doesn't take long. I cook way more with a pressure cooker than I ever did a dutch oven because I can start at 5pm and eat at ~7pm instead of start at 5pm to make dinner for tomorrow, while I'm also making dinner for tonight.

But yeah, like Mikey Purp says, if converting a recipe from slow to pressure, cut way back on the liquid.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They should rethink the name. Maybe just call it Cecil.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone here made pork belly in a pressure cooker?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't know. I slow braised a pork belly last night and wasn't entirely happy with the texture. I scored and seared but all the steam from the braising liquid basically did the same thing as a pressure cooker so next time I might go for the pressure cooker and crisp it again when done. Kinda like this recipe. Everything I've tried from this blog is excellent.

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-pork-belly-beer-braise/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ranter posted:

Oh man I don't know why yours didn't turn out well. I loosely follow Gordon Ramsay's recipe and that poo poo was amazing.

That's the recipe I followed, the instructions, I made a few substitutions on the aromatics. This was my first time making pork belly so I might have made mistakes but I followed Ramsay's instructions and measurements closely. Everyone liked it but but the fat didn't render as much as I would have liked and all the moisture kept the fat gooey. I used 3 cups of stock and it all evaporated, I kept needing to add more. The top of the cap was crispy. If I were to do it over, instead of searing the cap in a few minutes, I would turn the heat down and keep it in the skillet longer to render more fat, then drain it off. After that, I don't think it makes a difference whether it's slow braised or pressure cooked as long as the cap is crisped again at the end.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Indian Instant Pot recipe book discussed awhile back is on sale.

Indian Instant Pot® Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy and Fast https://www.amazon.com/dp/1939754542/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tM5eAbBJ1KYDD

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made some delicious bean soup tonight in my Instant Pot.

1 lb navy beans, soaked overnight.
4 medium onions.
2 celery stalks.
1 green bell pepper.
1 lb chorizo.
6 oz sundried tomatoes w/oil
3 TB butter
2 TB cocktail sauce
32 oz beef stock
24-30 oz of onion broth (estimated, excess liquid from pressure cooking 5 lbs of onions to make French onion soup)
25 minutes on high

I was afraid it would be too onion-y but it wasn't, it was delicious.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I feel like my instant pot isn't cooking as quickly as it should. I cooked a chuck toast for 50 minutes on high, added quartered baby potatoes and went 10 more minutes. The potatoes weren't done and the roast was still a little tough. 10 more minutes fixed both but the potatoes were overcooked.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've found that a lot of pressure cooker recipes have wrong times even when they are using the exact same cooker. So I look at as many recipes as I can find.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I make a tent from a damp washcloth to soak up most of the steam.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Probably the same recipe but less time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I usually do the cooking but my wife decided to make pork ribs in the instant pot and I didn't like the texture. She did 25 min on high with one cup of beef stock and some BBQ sauce. The meat was dry and something odd about the texture. Anyone else doing ribs? How do they turn out?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mu Zeta posted:

I think your wife made steamed ribs.

Isn't that what a pressure cooker does?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I soak beans first, then 25 minutes, never a problem with them not being done.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
16-24 hours in cold water or an hour in hot water.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

eonwe posted:

Are there actually any decent sites for recipes for this? Most of what I find are articles filled with ads, paragraphs of how their family loves it, and gigantic pictures.

Dad Cooks Dinner.
Instant pot website
Hippressure cooking

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mu Zeta posted:

Made some sausage/peppers/onions in my instant pot

I don't understand. How without over cooking them every time? I cook onions and peppers for about 5 minutes in a skillet.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mu Zeta posted:

Like I said it turned more into a stew. Never made it before.

How long did you cook them? Did the sausages explode? Did it taste good? I'm seriously intrigued. It's not something I would ever have thought of.

Boof Bonser posted:

I accidentally bought a scam instant pot cookbook on Amazon.

This is a handy website. I don't know how accurate it is but on that cookbook it seems pretty accurate.

https://www.fakespot.com/product/instant-pot-cookbook-500-most-delicious-recipe-collection-anyone-can-cook

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Goon Ironleg Dunkman posted a really good chili recipe in a chili thread a few years back, no doubt in archives now. I reposted it at some point in the current chili thread. Or if you don't find it I can copy it here once I get back to a desktop. It's not specifically for a pressure cooker but should be easy to adjust the time.

edit, this may not be the exact recipe he posted, but it's close...
(note: I usually skip the olive oil and cut back on the flour at the roux stage)
Dieselpunk Porter works nicely for this.

5 lbs cut beef
6 cups beef stock
1/2 cup olive oil
12 cloves garlic
3/4 bottle of beer (preferably a dark beer)
2 shots of tequila (100% agave, no Cuervo), you can substitute bourbon
2 shots of Backstrap Molasses
1/2 lb jalapenos
1 TB oregano
2 TB Cumin
1 ts cayenne
1/3 cup homemade chili powder
1/2 cup white flour - for making a roux after browning the meat
Simmer 5-6 hours in a dutch oven
You can adjust the time down for a pressure cooker, I would use the time for a chuck roast.

wormil fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 21, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They probably say to pressure cook the beets separate because they turn everything reddish-purple. If you don't care about that, cook them together. I roast beets all the time. 20 min @ 400F and they have a little crunch left. 30 min @ 400 and they are just firm but no crunch. It varies a bit because of size.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Booyah- posted:

I don't have any of these, are there particular ones I should get in case the cheapest are bad quality?

Find the restaurant supply in your area. They'll probably be a couple bucks each, will be adequate quality, and will stack.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MeKeV posted:

...........is this a meal as is or a side dish? :-S

Help, I want to get in on this bean thing.

It can be either. I make a lot of beans, sometimes big pots of soup beans and sometimes a small pot meant for a side dish.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Everything I've made from test kitchen has been bland. Some of their cooking times are suspect, I just don't believe you can cook chicken thighs tender in 15 minutes outside a pressure cooker. But you're probably joking and my humorous is broken.

vvvvvv oops, sorry

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 21, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Homemade chili powder is so worth the little effort it takes. It's like the difference between microwaved minute rice and a creamy risotto. But do not roast really hot peppers unless you have a skookum fan or you will have to evacuate the house. No joke. For some reason I keep doing it though and my wife gets angrier every time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife bought smoked pork jowl for my last batch of bean soup. The flavor is phenomenal, like amped up bacon. I chopped it up and rendered half a cup of fat from the pound of jowl bacon before making the beans and it was still a little slimy/fatty textured when pressure cooked but no one seemed to mind, it almost melts in your mouth.

Also I've been playing around with soaking or not soaking the beans and there is definitely a texture difference. I prefer soaked as the beans are softer and creamier. Unsoaked beans are more firm and chewy. Both are good, just whatever you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I add 5 extra minutes to unsoaked beans. It's not soaking involves effort though.