Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah they toast the flour then make roux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made awesomely delicious turkey legs last night in the pressure cooker. Browned 3 legs in butter and a little oil then set aside. Tossed in 1 chopped yellow onion and 1/2 chopped red onion, 1 chopped apple, about 5 carrots, half a dozen quartered radishes, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 or so bottle of red wine, fresh sage and basil. Once the pot was deglazed I put the legs back in and cooked on high for 30 minutes. Remove legs and reduce the sauce. Jeebus it was delicious.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Carillon posted:

Do you serve them whole, or take the meat off the legs?

I served them whole because it was just me and the kids but it would nicer off the bone. e; the meat was falling off the bone as it was but we were all starving and had no patience.

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 11, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

WhiteHowler posted:

... the sealing ring always smelled like the last thing I'd cooked.

Try spritzing with Windex, let that set for a bit, then wash it with soap and water. It's not foolproof but Windex (ammonia) removes the smell better than anything else I've tried.
edit; after that I run it through the dishwasher.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 6, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I noticed Bon Appetit has an Instant Pot series on their youtube. Haven't tried any of the recipes yet.

edit; and watching her use the IP with the screen makes me very glad mine just has buttons.

wormil fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 9, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Porterhaus posted:

Just picked up an Instant Pot. Any reason why so many recipes that I've found have zero fat or oil in them? Is it just because of the health fad crowd that the cult of Instant Pot attracts or is there a technical reason not to add some tasty fat to your pressure cooking?

What recipes? IP recipes I make are not any different than my regular recipes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Obliterated as in turned to mush? Or just softer than you like? I don't cook kidney beans but the bean setting is working here on other beans.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Too much poo poo in one gadget.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think you may have got a counterfeit.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Over time I use less and less water in my IP. Vegetables release a lot of moisture and so do some meats. A lot of IP recipes on blogs are apparently slow cooker or stovetop recipes where someone shortened the cooking time but didn't reduce the liquid amount.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Do you goons suggest I add a cup of chicken broth, or just leave it as is? I'm really unsure, and definitely new to instant pot cooking.

Between the tomatoes, onions, and chicken, you'll have plenty of water, no need to add more unless you want soup.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Dehydrated steam takes up less space, just add water and heat.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

So the recipe I made failed. First, it apparently never came to pressure to cook properly without added liquid, so the chicken was cooked on the outside and raw inside. The veg was still pretty raw.

So what the hell, no big, I'll add a cup of water and try repressurizing to cook everything through. This turned into super bland chicken and veggies swimming in a surprisingly flavorful stock. I don't even know. It's edible, but not particularly good. I might try warming everything in the stock and treating it as soup.

It sounds like you didn't have heat the first time. Did you leave it on warm? You're not going to have raw vegetables after 25 minutes in a pressure cooker. The recipe looks bland to me regardless but I'm tempted to make it just because it seems to defeat some people. The comments are a mix of "it's delicious and there was lots of broth," and "it was a bland failure!"

edit; I picked up some chicken thighs and will make this tonight. It won't be exactly the same because I'm using all thighs, they were on sale, and canned tomatoes because I already have them. I really want to add carrots because a stew without carrots is hardly a stew.

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 11, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made the Kenji recipe with some minor changes (3.77 lbs boneless/skinless chicken thighs, 28 oz crushed tomatoes, 1 large onion, 7 small-med red potatoes). I realize now that I've made variations of this recipe, with chicken or turkey, veg and sometimes fruit, about a dozen times since having my IP. Changes I would make: cut the chicken into chunks for more even cooking and easier to dish and eat, cut the potatoes into slightly smaller chunks (about 3/4"), cook 5 minutes longer. The amount of liquid from the veg was perfect, everything was tender and super delicious. It took 40 minutes exactly from the time I pressed the button until it beeped + 10 minute natural release.

I had it heated, and I'm sure of that because the timer came on. Didn't use tomatoes, because the recipe doesn't call for them. I don't know if you're looking at the recipe I posted upthread or the one that someone else posted from Kenji.

... recipe on The Wirecutter for 'American-style chicken and vegetables' that doesn't use any liquid.

I thought we were talking about the Kenji recipe but if this is the recipe you made? It's not that much different. Don't saute the veg (much) or you'll cook off the moisture. I don't think 20 minutes is enough time, 25 was just barely enough. I would do 30.
https://thewirecutter.com/blog/instant-pot-recipes/

Here is a good IP recipe blog, Dad Cooks Dinner. Everything I've made from it was delicious and the cooking times were spot on.
https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-recipe-index/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I would return the IP and get another one. You shouldn't have raw food after 25 minutes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made spicy collards in tomato sauce tonight for dinner, very easy and basic. 1.5# chopped collards, .5 cup tomato puree, .5 cup white wine, .5 cup chicken stock, cook for 6 minutes.
Edit + 1 tsp red pepper flakes and 2 cloves garlic

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 14, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mu Zeta posted:

I have a stovetop and it can come to pressure more easily with just the liquid from tomatoes. With my IP I have to add a cup of water at least.

You may want to exchange it for another or try changing the seal, mine has no trouble at all.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What makes them spicy?

Oops, 1 tsp red pepper flakes. Also forgot that I added garlic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yesterday I made the beef and onion soup from The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Machine, Both Stovetop and Electric. I used up some onion that I had chopped, frozen, thawed, and froze again, so they were a bit tough. The broth was delicious but it's a bit labor intensive. Previously I made a french onion soup that partially uses the pressure cooker (maybe from French Guy Alex) that was better.

Today hardboiled eggs in the IP and I would definitely do them that way again. Easy as pouring in a cup of water, add eggs, pressure cook for 5 minutes (3 for soft boiled), natural release, dunk in cold water, and peel. They peeled easily too. I found various recommendations on time. Not really a time savings over the stove but low effort.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drone posted:

Thinking about giving this chicken soup a try tonight or tomorrow night as a test to...

Looks terrible. Here is a good blog for the IP.
https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-recipe-index/

Another
https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-chicken-noodle-soup/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Speaking of liquid, tonight I made orange glazed chicken, the only liquid being a few TB of balsamic and scoop of marmalade, and of course the chicken. Went right to temp, sealed, and there was about 1/2 cup or more of liquid when done. Absolutely delicious. Also I cooked the thighs for 15 min and it was enough, although I did brown them first so they had a jump start.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

EVG posted:

Boneless or skin on,bone-in?

I think half the recipes I've made in the IP are some variation of chicken or turkey, thighs or legs, + sauce. They've all been good but this one was awesome. It was from the Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes, very slightly modified.

3# boneless chicken thighs, salt, pepper + browned
[Here I varied from the recipe book and deglazed with about 1/4 cup white wine. Once the wine was almost evaporated I added the chicken back to the pot along with the sauce.]
1/3 cup orange marmalade + 1.5TB balsamic, mixed in a large bowl, add browned chicken and toss
4" sprig of rosemary
15 minutes, quick release.
Served over white rice and topped with diced green onions

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made an interesting and delicious stew from cow feet. Cow feet have no meat, it's all marrow and cartilage. I pressure cooked 3 cow feet on high for 45 minutes with 4 cups of water + 2 chopped onions + 1 chopped celery stalk + 1 can diced tomatoes + a silver dollar sized chunk of fermented pepper mash, natural release. Decided it wasn't long enough and did another 45 minutes. Perfect.
tldr; 1.5 hours at high pressure

Removed the bones. Added 2 chopped carrots, 1 cubed sweet potato, 1 cup of dried split peas, 2 cloves garlic, 1TB soy sauce, 2 tsp dried thyme, 1 TB smoked paprika, pressure cook on high 20 minutes, natural release. Ate over white rice. The stew is thick with a silky texture and rich flavor, spicier than I intended (good for me, bad for my wife). It also smells like a cow but not entirely unpleasant. No one else mentioned it. I noticed earlier but there was nothing I could do about it. Online I found some blurbs about washing the cow feet in vinegar and water, I presume to reduce the musky cow smell? I will definitely make it again except I would try washing the cow feet first then browning them, everything else the same. Sorry no pics but it looks kind of like thick vegetable stew. I definitely recommend trying it or at least adding some feet next time you make stock because the texture and flavor are out of this world.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

https://www.foxvalleyfoodie.com/instant-pot-bbq-pulled-pork/

this recipe says to pressure cook for 90 minutes, that seems like a long time, is that correct?

Yes.
Edit, learned the hard way, through experience. Almost every pulled pork recipe has ridiculous times like 30 minutes or 50 minutes but the pork will be too tough to pull apart. It needs the 90 minutes.

wormil fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 29, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Midniter posted:

Just this past weekend I cubed, browned, and pressure cooked a 5 lb. boneless pork shoulder to eat with some bok choy. I only cooked it for 60 minutes followed by a natural release, and it was extremely soft and shreddable after just one hour. In fact, I was a bit disappointed by how soft it was - 90 minutes would have turned it into a paste. Might be because I chopped it into cubes first, or that I use a stainless stovetop model that may have a little higher pressure than an Instant Pot, but YMMV.

Yeah I almost added, "Cut into pieces if in a hurry and you want it done faster." Obviously higher pressure will cook faster. But a whole shoulder in an IP will take 90 min.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Try cleaning the ring with Windex, followed by a trip through the dishwasher. Not foolproof but works better than just soap and water.

Also that little metal cover inside the lid pulls off so you can clean around the valve. I'm kinda ashamed but didn't realize that right away.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Cooking the beans in stock instead of water will cure the blandness. Salt to taste then stir in a slab of butter. Starch in the water should bind the butter especially if you mash some of the beans. I don't reduce mine because my youngest daughter loves the 'soup' part and eats most of that. If you just want beans and no soup, drain it I guess.

Here is a delicious bean soup recipe that is served everyday in the Senate. https://www.senate.gov/reference/reference_item/bean_soup.htm
I heard the recipe differently, 3-4 onions to 2# beans, and that's how I've made it. And I use chicken broth instead of water.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Then it's probably bad beans or you didn't season, something hard to diagnose over the internet. And all soups need stock, don't let them tell you otherwise.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Grand Fromage posted:

So back to my actual question, there's really no need to reduce initial liquid in a pressure cooker recipe even though nothing boils off?

The answer to that question is no. Having surplus liquid at the end will not make your beans bland, you can drain it. Undercooking, lack of seasoning, or low quality beans, can result in bland beans. And you're right that stovetop recipes will have more liquid than is needed for a pressure cooker. The amount of water you need is going to vary based on whether you soak the beans, and the type of beans. I think it's safe to err on the side of caution and use plenty of liquid and drain off what you don't want.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Scythe posted:

I agree that undercooking/lack of seasoning/low quality beans are more common causes of bland beans, but excessive liquid can definitely cause lack of flavor as well. The liquid you’re theoretically pouring off is effectively bean stock—imagine making chicken stock with 2x the water you need, then just pouring out half of it at the end and calling it a day. You are going to have a way shittier, less flavorful stock than if you used the right amount of water in the first place.

I guess it would be easy to test by tasting the liquid when done. I keep the excess liquid and use the beans to thicken it so I've never tried pouring it off. Since the beans are hard little sponges, I suspect you are losing very little flavor. Also I think if it mattered bean recipes would be fussier about the bean/water ratio.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Midniter posted:

I intentionally pressure cook all my beans in lots of excess water, up to first fill line, just for the bean stock it provides. It's awesome.

What do you do with the extra water? Make it part of the soup or drain it for some other purpose?
;edited for clarity

wormil fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 5, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Someone posted that putting your silicone seal in the oven at a low temperature would remove odors. I tried it and it made my kitchen smell like the embedded odors but the ring still smells. I baked it for half an hour at 205F.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Warm oven didn't remove odors from the ring so next time I'll try baking soda. Works in the fridge right?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Out of curiosity how long is everyone pressure cooking your chicken bones for stock? I've been doing 3 hours and have no complaints. Sometimes I roast the bones and sometimes not. The bones crumble between my fingers after. A previous roommate says she cracks the bones open to get at the marrow but I've never done that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My white people market ...

My black people market doesn't sell them either but my yellow people market does.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
After 3 hours mine is not quite jello when cool but close. My CIA book says 8 hours on the stove so I figured 3 hours in a pressure cooker might be equivalent. I guess there's no downside to going long. 4 lbs of bones made about 9 cups of stock.

I didn't add any veg this last time, just bones. Think I will do the veg separate. I'm thinking 45 min for veg?

Edit, that chili looks good.

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 15, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MeKeV posted:

I don't know if it's my instant pot specifically, but I've never had much luck opening the pot and then bringing it up to pressure for a second time, with anything saucey/stewy. Especially if there's lentil or similar in there.
It reckons it's come to pressure, starts counting down but it hasn't, and I end up with a burnt bottom. Unless I go way over the top with extra liquid almost turning it in to a soup.

It's your pot, mine has no problem like that. Several people have said they need a lot of liquid to get a seal, which only makes sense if you have a leak. The more liquid, the longer it takes to steam and seal. You could try pushing down on the lid when you first hear steam and see if it starts quicker. I have made recipes with only the liquid in the ingredients and had no trouble.

Unrelated, I'm visiting my in laws and they have an electric pressure cooker with communist threads on the lid that are lefty tighty, righty loosey. She thought it was a crock pot. The lid is trickier to get a seal but it works.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Send it back? It's broken.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Tonight I made beef cheeks braised in red wine & tomatoes with a dash of soy sauce, 50 min high pressure; then served over potatoes mashed with mozzarella, sour cream, butter, cream, parmesan, & cilantro. loving delicious.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Here they look about the size of a small chuck roast but are about 50% fat, silver, and sinew so there is some trimming work but they are rich and delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just bought a bunch of chicken feet, I'll add them to chicken and turkey bones and scraps for stock. I've used beef feet in beef stock and you get a wonderful silky texture and powerful beef like flavor. I'm hoping chicken feet do the same.