Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

pim01 posted:

Kenji has a series of amazing and simple recipes here:

https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/pressure-cooker-recipes

They're all awesome(theres a bunch that don't use extra liquid but just run on what water is present in the ingredients, which was a key lesson in not making everything super soupy for me :) ) .

A lot of his recipes are WAY TOO SALTY so if you don't like super salty stuff maybe use half of what he says and salt more after if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MarcusSA posted:

My dad keeps telling me to get a smoker but drat they are expensive!!

A Masterbuilt Electric Smoker will run you $200-300 brand new. They are simple to operate, just like a normal oven, but produce very good smoked meat.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-130B-Digital-Electric-Smoker/dp/B07CN38M23?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

30" is the smaller one. If you will feed a bunch of people at once I suggest spending a little more and getting a 40".

Don't go out of your way to get one with a window, you won't be able to see through it after the first smoke.

If you do get one also get yourself an Amaze-N Pellet tube to use instead of the smokers chip tray. Though you can use the chip tray jsut as well the pellet tube gives ALOT more smoke\flavor.

Edit: Head over to the Slow Smoking Meat thread for more info. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MarcusSA posted:

Oh nice tip! I see that there is one in the Amazon warehouse for 149 as well.

How much smoke does the thing actually put out? I live in a townhouse and I don’t actually wanna smoke my neighbors out.

They put out a fair amount, but mostly only when you open the door. When the door is shut and just the vents are open its not a lot but the smoke smell gets into everything.

I would check into if your townhouse rules even permit a smoker. Though some apartments and such do permit ONLY electrics.

If you have a place away from the building that you can use it I would do that but you would probably have to watch it closer to make sure no one steals your meat or the smoker I guess.

Also neighbors happiness can be bought. Just do a couple big pork butts and then hand out a bunch of packs of pulled pork to them...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

eke out posted:

yeah it's definitely a lot of smoke

on the other hand, it's one of the best ~$225s you can spend, in terms of letting you do something that tastes amazing without a lot of effort that you almost can't do at all otherwise

we only break ours out a few times a year but it's wonderful to do a couple butts or a brisket or both and have tons of meat on special occasions (and smoked butt freezes really nicely)

I use mine a lot but I would use it more if I could. I just have a full freezer of smoked meat...

Currently have Pulled Pork, 3 different flavors of Pork Belly Burnt Ends, Ribs, Pepper Stout Beef. All in freezer bags portioned out so I can defrost and use to make a meal.

I find that for Pulled Pork its best to just use my rub (my variant of Memphis Dust) and don't sauce it. It heats back up better and you can then add any sauce to it instead of being stuck with whatever you chose when you smoked\pulled it.

Ribs aren't the best to reheat but I usually buy the big 3-packs from Costco when I make them and just smoke them all. A lot of the frozen ribs get reheated and the meat taken off the bone to use in other things.

If you can get a big slab of Pork Belly make burnt ends with it. SOOO GOOD!

Usually I have Brisket in there too but I used the last to make Chili during the winter so I need to make a brisket again soon.