Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Well yeah, but I was wondering about mass produced deli ham being cooked under pressure for the usual length of time we cook pot beans in an IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yes sorry if it wasn't clear enough... I wouldn't be asking if it was a whole smoked ham hock (which was pretty loving awesome despite being added at the start with the beans)

but I want to get rid of this frozen sliced ham and thought maaaaybe I could throw it into the beans. I was skeptical too hence asking here, and you've now confirmed so thank you. Will it turn to mush/disintegrate?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You can adapt any of these for the IP: https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/chili-recipes

The chili thread is also a wealth of knowledge: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852

Personally I prefer to only make the beef stock in the IP and use an enameled dutch oven for the cook-down but you could do the whole thing in an IP.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
you're correct on the brassicas. Perhaps stems aren't that bad but I don't gently caress with them.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

couldcareless posted:

Stock is cooked bones, broth is raw bones :science:

wrong!

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I usually differentiate stock vs broth based on gelatin content. If it has bones (cooked or not), the resulting liquid is stock. If it's just meat, it's broth.

This is more correct!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
A roasted whole chook takes 60 mins in the oven. What's the benefit to doing one in an IP then finishing it in the oven?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'll allow it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Right, you wouldn't reduce the amount of water added to the IP, you need to have enough water to almost cover the bones yeah? So you reduce (boil away the water) the resultant stock afterwards.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Could I do that with some ground pork I want to get rid of tonight? I have the ginger and green onions already. When do you add salt how much? Or what if I threw in some totally frozen chicken thighs, same 30mins but then the chicken is not mushy but still cooked through?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Awesome thanks both. Would chicken stock, or 50/50 stock/water be a good move too? edit: welp I'm trying it with 2 cups of chicken broth 3 cups water.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 8, 2020

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The congee of 1 cup rice, 2 cups chicken stock, 3 cups water, 30mins under pressure in IP was real good but I'm gonna up the liquid to 6 cups for 1 cup of the rice I'm currently using next time. I wanted it a tiny bit more runny/liquidy. The ginger is key and so so good in it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Gonna cook a ribeye in my instantpot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Outrail posted:

The ninja foodie is pretty good with saute temps.

Which one do you have? OP 2-lids, OP 1-lid, or the OL?

A 1 year warranty seems lovely for a complicated electronic appliance tho