Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Thinking of getting this pressure cooker as my first step into pressure cooking. I want a big one so I can do bigger cuts of meat.

Presto 01282 8-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006ISG4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XuejzbSJVQR4Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
But it's expensive and looks the same as my rice cooker.......

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

SubG posted:

Presto pressure cookers are fine, but I'd spend the extra US$20 or so for the stainless one (model 01370 is the 8-quart equivalent of the aluminium 01282 you link). I think the 01370 is the one recommended by his imperial majesty López-Alt, if that makes a difference.

The pressure cooker I've been using for the past several years is a Fagor Duo. I like it a lot but it's like US$100 so probably not what you're looking for if the price is one of the things putting you off an Instant Pot.

I went with the stainless steel one, thanks for catching that! Bought the 8 quart version, along with some other kitchen goodies. I figure this is a good foray into pressure cooking, and if I use it enough to be limited by it, then I'll upgrade to an instant pot. Looking forward to lots of beans and pork for burrito bowls this summer, and some stocks, too.

E: And pressure canning!

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 27, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I just made these in my pressure cooker for lunches this week: http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pork-carnitas-in-the-pressure-cooker/

Pretty good recipe, I did end up shredding the pork because it was so tender. Made it fry up nicely.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've got a recipe for some salsa Verde chicken that's for the slow cooker. I'm going to try and make it in my pressure cooker, which I think will be fine.

However, I also want to make some brown rice to go with it. Can I add stock + rice to the cooker and cook everything at once?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Pollyanna posted:

Tried making St. Louis style ribs in the IP, brushing on sauce, and broiling them for 10 min last night. Disappeared too quickly to get a picture of them. :kimchi:

They were a little too big for the Duo Mini, so I had to squish them a bit. I dont think it had a big effect on the result, though. 10 minutes of broiling was a little too long, so the tops got burnt a little - next time I'll go to 7 min and evaluate from there. And the ribs didn't quite have the tenderness I wanted in the center - I cooked on high for 30 minutes under pressure, and I suspect it would have benefited from another 5~10 min of PC. It also didn't have the exact same texture as smoking them would have, but I think it's a fine substitute for smoking ribs if you're not too picky. I brushed on some original flavor Sweet Baby Ray's for the broiling, and I'm a fan of it.

Def recommend trying it out if you're curious!! I personally would advise splitting the rack up into individual ribs, just to make it easier on smaller pots. Plus, it might work better for broiling.

Man, if I can find some cheap ribs, I'mma try this.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Going to cook some great northern beans tonight. I've got a frozen ham bone from our Thanksgiving ham to put in there. What else should I toss in for delicious beans?

Also, about how long should they cook under pressure?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So yeah. Best beans Ive had in a while and they were super low effort. Soaked the beans overnight. Drained and rinsed. Sweated/sauteed some shallots I had laying around with some garlic. Added 8 cups of chicken broth (made with Better than bullion because I'm lazy af and it's decent), the beans, and my leftover ham bone. Cooked under pressure for 26 minutes, then let them release naturally for 20ish more. Took the bone out, removed the meat on it, diced the meat up very fine and returned it. Blended the beans a little to thicken.

Typing it out makes it seem more complicated than it was. So drat easy for Sunday night meal prep. Now I just need a slab of onion and some Louisiana hot sauce (somehow I am missing all my vinegar based sauces...).

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Great northern. They were pretty old, I think. They were soft, but not much. Well, the ones I didn't blend, anyway.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Only if you bought your pot from Needful Things.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

bengy81 posted:

To add to soup chat, you can just put a 3-4 lb. raw chicken in with some veggies and water and have soup in about an hour and a half.

We do a lot of chicken tortilla soup as well, and it's so yummy, I want some now.

About how long does it keep in the fridge? Could I make it Sunday (for lunches in the week) and have it still be edible Friday?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Internet Explorer posted:

Almost certainly. I grill chicken on Sunday and eat it Mon through Thur. I imagine the salt in the soup would help keep it an extra day. If not, hey, Friday cheat day. :cool:

Sweet, sounds like I have lunches for next week ready. I can't find an exact chicken tortilla soup recipe, so I'm thinking of adding dried beans to this one: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_chicken_soup_in_the_pressure_cooker/

All the ones I've been finding call for chicken pieces; I've got an 8 quart pressure cooker and I'd really like to put it through its paces with a whole chicken.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Can yogurt be made in a regular pressure cooker, or is that an IP only deal?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Any suggestions for green split peas?

I bought them thinking I could make some sort of meatless Indian dish, but now I can't remember what I was going to make.

E: Thanks to FB memories, I saw I was making misr wot this time two years ago. I think I may try that with the split green peas I have.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 26, 2019

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hot take: salsa is just mirepoix with tomato and jalapeños

No, that has a name and it's escaping me right now.

Fake E: sofrito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Internet Explorer posted:

Agree with this. Well but rotisserie chickens at the grocery store for another meal, then I'll throw the bones in and the stock it makes is loving amazing.

See, I wondered about this. Somewhere I got this notion in my head that for a stock you can only use raw bones and not cooked bones. Glad to know this so I can make some stocks this winter.