Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So from what I gather, the main thing that Instant Pot is good at (pressure-cooking wise, I know it can boil, steam, and saute as well) is much the same thing you'd use slow cookers for, but quicker? Basically anything that benefits from a long, slow cooking time:

• Tough, marbled beef (roast, brisket, shank)
  • Ribs (normal, short, baby back)
  • Chicken thighs and wings
  • Beans

So in theory, I could buy a bunch of bone-in chicken thighs and wings, chop up a bunch of onions, fry up some spices, put it all in the pot with some stock and coconut milk, and have chicken curry in a matter of 15-20 minutes without touching it?

gently caress yeah.

Edit: Will stuff like red wine and vodka cook off while its in the cooker, or will it retain alcohol?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hell Yeah posted:

I don't own an instant pot, i bought a decent sized pressure cooker from a garage sale. I've made this four times and it's quickly become one of my favorite recipes:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

I wonder if I can cut this down by half since I have Duo Mini. It takes 3 liters, IIRC. Maybe I'll do halfsies...

edit: Oh, wait - I don't have a blender. drat.

edit2: This, though, I can do! http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-lentil-bacon-stew-recipe.html

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 13, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any tips for making beef stock? I got a couple of marrow bones for cheap, and I wanna make some broth from them. What're the steps for making it in an Instant Pot? Do I still need to blanch and roast the bones or anything?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How much liquid do you need when cooking? I heard something about a 1cup minimum?

Also, looking around, there's a surprising dearth of Instant Pot recipes on YouTube. :psyduck:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 14, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I learned that ratatouille isn't a good fit for the Instant Pot. :downs: I may as well have stuck in some leftover chicken, added pasta, and made a chicken soup.

I dunno if it was the zucchini or the red pepper, but pressure cooking these veggies gave them a weird sickly sweet quality to them and eughhhhhhhhhh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have a 3 quart size due to space limitations, and it's a bit small - I often have to cut recipes in half. If you've got a few people already, I'd spring for more than that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You're not supposed to fry in an Instant Pot. I would recommend against it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just started the aforementioned stock. Had some leftover zucchini, carrots, and broccoli, so I dumped them in with the marrow bones and filled it up to 2/3 full. Gonna let it go for an hour and see where I am by the end of it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pressure cooking marrow bones for stock turned out quite well. After straining out the bones and veg scraps, the broth was clearer than I expected and had a nice jiggle to it even though it was still very hot. I assume that means I did it correctly :woop:

I wish beef/pork bones were cheaper so I could buy more at a time. I mean, they're still super cheap, but I'm stingy as gently caress. Also, I don't have the space for it, but a 6+ quart cooker is quite a bit more useful than 3 quart. Maybe when I get a new apartment, I'll upgrade from a Duo Mini.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonna try making St. Louis style ribs in the Instant Pot :dance:

The plan is to cut the rack into 4ths (since I have a Duo Mini), use the steamer basket insert to prop up the ribs, cook for ~25 minutes with about a cup of water or so since I'm not looking to get flavor from the liquid, lather on some barbecue sauce when they're done, and broil to caramelize the tops. Am I required to submerge the meat in liquid if I'm pressure cooking, or do I just need some liquid in there at all?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Somewhat related to my last post: if I'm making stock from beef or chicken bones, do I need to completely submerge the bones, or can I use a minimum of liquid for the PC so I don't have to reduce it all at the end?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You don't need to submerge.

Sweet. I'll just use the minimum 1cup + some bones then!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ohh, never mind then :downs: I just wanna speed up reducing my stock, I'm lazy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried making St. Louis style ribs in the IP, brushing on sauce, and broiling them for 10 min last night. Disappeared too quickly to get a picture of them. :kimchi:

They were a little too big for the Duo Mini, so I had to squish them a bit. I dont think it had a big effect on the result, though. 10 minutes of broiling was a little too long, so the tops got burnt a little - next time I'll go to 7 min and evaluate from there. And the ribs didn't quite have the tenderness I wanted in the center - I cooked on high for 30 minutes under pressure, and I suspect it would have benefited from another 5~10 min of PC. It also didn't have the exact same texture as smoking them would have, but I think it's a fine substitute for smoking ribs if you're not too picky. I brushed on some original flavor Sweet Baby Ray's for the broiling, and I'm a fan of it.

Def recommend trying it out if you're curious!! I personally would advise splitting the rack up into individual ribs, just to make it easier on smaller pots. Plus, it might work better for broiling.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 31, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there an important reason recipes tell you to NPR when cooking beans? I tried cooking some pink beans alongside pork shoulder and did a quick release, for about 25 minutes. The beans were wrinkled but rock hard. I cooked them again for 35 minutes and they're still really crappy. Was it the quick release that did it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve had the most success by doing an NPR instead of a quick release. For some reason, that’s resulted in beans that are more likely to be done for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any pork shoulder recipes for the Instant Pot that are not carnitas? Carnitas are great and everything, but sometimes I just want a good braised hunk of meat. I've got about a pound of cubed pork shoulder in the freezer that I want to use up and no ideas.

Also, how viable is it to put frozen meat directly into the pressure cooker? Setting aside the worries of searing and all that for now. Will it cook fully?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonna try a total bullshit recipe for pressure cooked beef shank tonight cause I'm hungry dammit:

Ingredients:

- 1 beef shank (fairly large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup broth, beef or otherwise
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper

Steps:

- Sear a cut of beef shank
- Chop some garlic and onion, sautee in instant pot until golden brown and caramelizing
- Deglaze with 1/4 cup red wine, sautee until alcohol is cooked off
- Add a splash (~2 tbsp?) of soy sauce, mix, sautee for 30 seconds
- Add 1 cup of broth and beef shank
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 40~50 minutes
- Quick release, reduce sauce until nice and thickened
- Season with salt and pepper, serve

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Gonna try a total bullshit recipe for pressure cooked beef shank tonight cause I'm hungry dammit:

Ingredients:

- 1 beef shank (fairly large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup broth, beef or otherwise
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper

Steps:

- Sear a cut of beef shank
- Chop some garlic and onion, sautee in instant pot until golden brown and caramelizing
- Deglaze with 1/4 cup red wine, sautee until alcohol is cooked off
- Add a splash (~2 tbsp?) of soy sauce, mix, sautee for 30 seconds
- Add 1 cup of broth and beef shank
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 40~50 minutes
- Quick release, reduce sauce until nice and thickened
- Season with salt and pepper, serve

Eating this now. The sauce is delicious, but man is it heavy. It came out quite strong even though it looked thin and lovely in the pot. I can't tell whether it's the soy sauce, red wine, or caramelized onion that gives it this particular taste. I'm gonna guess the onions, though.

IMO, the best thing to do would be to return the shank to the sauce once it's reduced, and cover it in the sauce. What I did was just put the shank over some rice and pour the sauce on it, and it looks gross as gently caress. That's kinda the dish in a nutshell - delicious, but really fuckin' ugly. I suspect there's a lot of fat content in this as well. I'm halfway through this and I'm already feeling full.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have a heart attack.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

The recipe looks pretty good, but you always want to defat a sauce like that before you reduce it. A beef shank is going to have plenty of fat, and without removing the fat, that sauce has to be super greasy.

That'd be it, then. :v: I assume that's the thing where you skim off fat at the top of the sauce with a spoon or something? I should have done that, I'll do it next time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today's recipe was onions, carrots, red lentils, and pork with a bunch of leftover curry spices and beef stock. It was...meh. The pork was great, everything else was just unsatisfying. :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I re-made the beef shank stew and skimmed off most of the fat this time, came out much nicer. I’m wondering if beef shank is really the best option for stew meat though. Given that I can find about a pound of it + a little marrow bone for 3~4 bucks I would suspect it’s a good choice, but is there anything I’m missing?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Bunk posted:

Whoops, link fixed. There was no sauteing involved (though after eating it I'll probably brown the skin next time). Wondering if it might have been that there's no liquid in the recipe, and after essentially slow-cooking for a few minutes the tomatoes released enough to pressurize the next time I tried.

You need at least 1 cup of liquid in the pot to come up to pressure.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh poo poo, I had no idea you could make jam in a pressure cooker. If I ever end up with excess fruit, then I know what to do with it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aw, okay. Well, maybe there's something I can do with leftover grapes 'n poo poo...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just ordered that book. Can't wait. :dance:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Word of warning to anyone who gets the book, it expects you to have:

- A coffee/spice grinder
- A food processor/countertop blender
- An immersion blender
- Small steel bowls and containers that fit in your IP

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VERTiG0 posted:

1) I just buy the spices from the store, no big deal
2) If you're in this forum you have this
3) See 2
4) Come on

:saddowns:

I'll do some shopping...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Same - NPR is required for beans in my experience.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried making the biryani in that cookbook today. Overall came out well, though it looks a little dull in color. I personally would have used some saffron (e.g. Sazon Goya), and I'll definitely do that next time I make it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried making the Butter Chicken from that Indian recipe book and it's pretty alright. Needs more onions and I think it would benefit from cooking the chicken separately to get some nice crust on it; I also had to season it a good bit more than the book says to do. Big fan of the biryani though, that poo poo is amazing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hmm, maybe I'll put my own spin on it!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anne Whateley posted:

I feel like the Butcher Block or the old scary Eastern European lady butcher would special-order it for like $10+/lb, but it seems like it should be in line with other similar cuts at like $1-3/lb. I haven't seen it at my beloved Food Bazaar, but I haven't looked at Stop & Shop yet, thanks!

It just seems weird that I live in Queens, I can get any other bizarre specialty cut, I can buy tripe or tongue or entire square yards of straight-up skin, but pork shank isn't at some ethnic market for pennies???

Shank is starting to get expensive, I think.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snowy posted:

Besides pork shoulder got any especially good recommendations?

Short ribs, corned beef, random-rear end beef chuck and brisket are all easily cooked. Sear what you can and toss it into a chopped veg + red wine/tomato sauce reduction, add some liquid (need at least 1/2~1 cup in the pot to cook), and you’ve got yourself a nice stew after 45 min~1 hr.

Beef shank completely melts after 40~50 minutes in the pot, though you may want to remove the tough connective tissue around the outside. If you cook it long enough that too breaks down, but if it doesn’t it’s super gross.

Curries and soups involving chicken thigh are dead simple.

You can do ribs, though you’ll prolly want to finish them off under the broiler with a rub/sauce painted on. Make sure to pat them dry before painting anything on.

I made beef and barley stew recently with beef shank, white onion, chopped celery, and carrots with some beef stock and some paprika+cumin+sazon Goya spice mix. Came out delicious.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 8, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve only had beans come out well from pressure cooking when I NPR.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Use better recipes :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I still don't recall what kind of beef is best for long, low simmering aside from the obvious ones. Chuck, round, etc. - too similar, I can't remember which is which.

That idea about chicken soup via pressure cooking the gently caress out of a chicken is a drat good idea, though...hmmm. Maybe I'll pick up a couple game hens sometime.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've had mixed success with the "vegetables will give you enough water" thing. I've often ended up waiting for 20 minutes just to find out that the thing never came to pressure. And when I do add enough water to bring to pressure, it's super watery and lovely and I have to reduce it for a while to get it decent.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Croatoan posted:

Can't you just add raw steam to the ingredients?

Raw steam is a pain in the rear end to prep, I prefer frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got a good pound or so of pork shoulder cut into rough cubes in the freezer. What can I make with it in the IP?