Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'm still learning my IP, but when I get a BURN warning it stops cooking. I have the 8 qt version and I have notice that 1) all of the recipes are for the 6 qt version and 2) some need a bit more liquid to not trigger a BURN warning in the 8 qt version.

Just putting in liquid is not enough, you need to stir it so that there's liquid at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
There's a bunch of recipes that are "put IP into saute mode and add olive oil. Saute. Put in Pressure Cooker mode."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

QuarkMartial posted:

About how long does it keep in the fridge? Could I make it Sunday (for lunches in the week) and have it still be edible Friday?

Almost certainly. I grill chicken on Sunday and eat it Mon through Thur. I imagine the salt in the soup would help keep it an extra day. If not, hey, Friday cheat day. :cool:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I have the 8 qt model and while I'm still getting used to it, I've definitely noticed it needs water and a little more than most recipes do because they design for the 6 qt.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

The Glumslinger posted:

I really can't stress how much having a pressure cooker allows you to make infinitely better stock than you can buy at the store. Buy 2-3 pounds on bone in chicken thighs/wings and put them in there which carrots, celery, onions and in 45 minutes you'll have amazing chicken stock.

Then discard the veggies and shred the meat off the bones

Agree with this. We buy rotisserie chickens at the grocery store for another meal, then I'll throw the bones in and the stock it makes is loving amazing.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 27, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Really like this one - https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/instant-pot-mac-and-cheese/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Did you brown anything in the IP before trying to pressure cook? That's a fairly reliable way to get the BURN warning on our 8 qt.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The outside bottom of the pot that goes into the IP? That should always be dry otherwise you can ruin the heating coils in the bottom.

I feel for you. My wife ran into it once and after getting BURN several times for a meal she and the IP don't get along any more. It's a pain, but my suggestion would be to take everything out, clean the pot, run it under cool water to cool it off, then put everything back in.

Sorry you're having a crappy experience. :(

[edit: I now sear things in a separate pan if I'm going to use the IP, unless it's something basic like onions or something. No meat.]

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Ohvee posted:

Are there any tips to keep the instant pot from giving a burn message just as it is about to get to pressure?

I've stopped trying to saute in my IP because it very often causes a burn message. If you're running I to it now, I've found pouring everything out and washing the IP liner while it cools off and trying again to be the only way to fix it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
[Edit: I'm a loving idiot and should really wake up before posting. biryani!=basmati.]

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone had good experiences with PC biryani? Followed the twosleevers recipe and the first time I ended up with the water coming nowhere near covering the rice so I ended up with hard undercooked but somehow still sludgy rice, the second time I added a little more water and am currently chowing down on tasty biryani flavored congee.

dino's response seems way more informed that mine, but I just used this guideline last night and it seemed to come out well? 6 minutes high pressure, 10 minute natural release. I put a little bit of ghee in with it.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-basmati-rice/

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 4, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Making homemade chicken stock is probably one of the most mind blowing things about an IP. It is so far and away better than anything you can buy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Tricky Ed posted:

The only times I've had trouble with my instant pot have been when I used it to brown things and then pressure cook them. Once I moved to searing in a separate pan those problems went away.

It didn't matter how much I scraped the fond off, if there was anything stuck to the pot when I switched to pressure mode it would cause Problems.

Agreed with this. It seemed like the bottom of the pot just got too hot, regardless of scraping stuff off. We just upgraded to the 8 qt model that has the air fryer attachment and in the one time I tried searing and then pressure cooking it seemed to do better, but it's too early to tell.

If you're getting burn messages and you are searing beforehand, try using a separate pan. Kind of unfortunate as it is one of the benefits of the IP, but it beats having to deal with the burn message while you are trying to get dinner ready, because it's a pain in the rear end.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
It's also nice to free up the oven or other appliances for other things.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Beachcomber posted:

From everything I've heard, the sous vide on the instant pot doesn't really work.

It seems to work fine to me. What doesn't work about it?

I like our 8 qt model, has the air fryer attachment. We have a smaller kitchen, so having just one appliance for everything is good. We wouldn't be able to store a separate appliance for everything. I'd say go that route and if you end up wanting dedicated appliances, adding them later isn't some big waste.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

EL BROMANCE posted:

How do you find the attachment? I'm in the camp of "I hear air frying is cool and good but I really don't have the space for yet another machine in my kitchen". If it's comparable to a standalone, I might have to give it a shot.

I bought a unit that had the air fryer built in. Gave the old IP to a family member who didn't have one but liked to cook.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VT23JDM

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Unless I'm misunderstanding, that's to be expected. You don't need the lid on to saute.

[edit: Sounds like I am misunderstanding and you were sautéing the onions and then went to pressure cook. Nevermind!]

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I have it on the 8 qt. My take is that it's simply okay. I think it's a lot more of a pain to use than other air fryers and it probably doesn't work as well. If you have the space, I'd get a dedicated air fryer. If not, its probably worth getting. Just keep in mind that the kid itself is also fairly big and bulky.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I know I've heard some talk of salmon and rice in the IP in this thread, but I'm having trouble finding it. Anyone have a particular receipe they like?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Good enough! Thank you, much appreciated.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
That was really good! I sauteed up some shelled edamame and it was rather like a cooked poke bowl. Certainly was easy enough. Might be a new staple!

Used this for inspiration.
https://www.corriecooks.com/instant-pot-salmon-and-rice/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'd say my IP takes about 20 minutes total to make rice. You can see a comment from me, I think in this thread, that I try to take the rice out immediately so it doesn't overcook. Sounds like dedicated rice cookers don't have that problem. If you're looking for a kitchen swiss army knife, the IP is pretty good. I sous vide, air fry, make rice, pressure cook, etc., with it, but it's not the best at any of that except pressure cook. If I had unlimited space, I'd maybe lean towards dedicated devices for some of those things.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The only time I've ever really had a problem was when the gasket wasn't quite on right. Even then all it did was hiss while trying to get up to pressure, letting out a lot of steam.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

404notfound posted:

Does anyone have the air fryer lid for the Instant Pot? I haven't joined the air fryer bandwagon yet, and I have some doubts about the lid. The instant pot is a mediocre slow cooker, and I feel like the same would go for trying to also serve as an air fryer. Plus, the lid looks like it's so big, I imagine I wouldn't be saving much storage space versus just getting a dedicated air fryer

I do. If you have the room, skip the air fryer lid and get a real air fryer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
That's how I do it and frankly if there is better mac and cheese out there I don't need to be exposed to it.

The recipe I use - https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/instant-pot-mac-and-cheese/