Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My instant pot is cool and makes great corned beef and pretty good greens. I still prefer my greens in a crock pot for my 24 hour greens because the pot likker is super good and it needs the time to break down the cellulose. But if you want to get 80% there in 2 hours yeah these things are rad. I'm looking forward to making boiled peanuts in it this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

CrazySalamander posted:

Please tell me more about 24 hour greens.

Super simple and good. I have a 7 Qt. crock pot and measurements are pretty approximate since I do it more by feel now.

1 big bag kale greens (I don't know the size but it barely fits in the crock pot)
8oz country ham pieces for cooking (you can use bacon but it's by far inferior but I get that country ham may not be available everywhere)
3 or 4 garlic cloves minced
3 Tbsp kosher salt
1 cups white vinegar (to taste really, here in the south pretty vinegary is preferred)
Fill the remaining volume of the crock with water

Cook on low for about 24 hours, stirring every so often like 4-5 times total. You'll probably have to add a couple of cups of water as it reduces. By the time it's done the pot likker should have a nice yellow/green color. The greens are good too but I can drink the pot likker straight up and enjoy. Pro-tip use Texas Pete Green Pepper Sauce to taste.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 27, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
What setting do I use to fry things in my instant pot? Just put in a 220V outlet?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Guys, it's what is called a joke post. Suggesting I plug it in a 220v outlet? C'mon.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 19, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I will never ever make boiled peanuts other than in a instant pot again.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

VulgarandStupid posted:

Boy, you trying to start a war?

Well, I mean it is though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I wouldn't. I find that 3 frozen thighs thaw in a hot sink in about 30 minutes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

diwilli posted:

Some of my very favorite recipes are Kenji's.

You probably like salty food. I mean, so do I but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Snowmankilla posted:

Alton Brown’s recipes are my go to for all dishes? :shrug:

I'm sorry to tell you this but while they are good starting points, AB's recipes are just that, a starting point. They're just the no-frills basics. You should check this book out. It's seriously my go-to for most recipes now. http://a.co/dQWA9Nx

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Nahh I meant it. I mean there are the occasional lololol recipes that will add some ridiculous step that'll add like 5 hours to your cooking time for very little payoff but for the most part they're pretty great. Especially for baking.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Casull posted:

1 box of Wick Fowler's 2-alarm chili kit (See, the chili is also bastardized because I use a chili kit)

Friendo, ditch the kits and see the light.
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chili_Powder

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Anyone have any favorite instant pot curry recipes they want to share? I made a pretty tasty butter chicken the other day, looking to expand my curry prowess.

I've only used jarred simmer sauces. The kroger tikka masala is pretty good but I'm just phoning it in. Give up your recipe for butter chicken plz. Heck just the ingredients if you don't mind I can wing the rest.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Huh from everything I'm reading that uses coconut milk rather than doing a yogurt coating and broiling the chicken. I wonder if that's a big deal?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Unplug it

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Or that

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Cool. So like is it good?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It looks super dense. Let us know if it was the yeast. I'm interested because my wife wants a proving drawer and this could be an easy fix.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Looks good. I like the idea of proofing in the IP

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Can't you just add raw steam to the ingredients?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I made instant pot corned beef, cabbage and potatoes and holy poo poo it was great. Using beef broth instead of water as the liquid turned the cabbage from good to amazing.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 19, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I didn't want to write it up so googling came up with drat near the same thing I did.
https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/instant-pot-corned-beef-and-cabbage/
I used 4 cups of beef broth but I don't think it matters that much. It calls for pre-packaged corned beef brisket. I've never made one from scratch.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Gotta get rid of the bodies somehow :shrug:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Keret posted:

Okay, I finally decided to order an Instant Pot since they were super on sale on Amazon. It arrived today just before I left for work, but apparently the delivery person just tossed the whole package over the gate (I live in a courtyard style building), onto concrete. I haven't opened it yet as I'm at work, but I'm kind of dreading opening it tonight and finding it smashed to pieces or DOA. Amazon's delivery standards are pretty poo poo, I guess. Should I be nervous about future problems with the electronics inside from it being tossed around?

Anyway, assuming it works, does anyone have some tips/pointers for cooking straight-up grains (rice/millet/wheatberries/etc) and/or beans in this thing?

So did it make it? Are you dead?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah I've never once rinsed my rice and it comes out perfect every time.

Enjoy your super sticky rice?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Shrimp in a pressure cooker? Even at 1 minute it sounds like it'd make them rubbery.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Croatoan posted:

Shrimp in a pressure cooker? Even at 1 minute it sounds like it'd make them rubbery.

So like I said, I doubt shrimp in a pressure cooker so I tried PressureLuck's shrimp scampi and that was the worst shrimp scampi I've ever had. That was poo poo.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I am absolutely certain that this has been done in the thread before but I made chili in my instant pot today and it's really drat good. I did not use a recipe that would be weird for chili.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

priznat posted:

Anyone have a favourite, simple, no fail chili instantpot recipe? Easier the better! :haw:

I mean, I really didn't have a recipe but here's what I did.

1 lb ground beef
1 lb hot sausage
Brown that and throw in the instant pot

5 jalapenos. I like mine warm so I didn't seed them and one was a really big one. Cut off the stems though.
1 sweet onion
a big handful or two of baby carrots
4 tomatillos
Threw all that in my food processor and did a fairly rough chop. Throw that in the instant pot

2 cans great northerns
1 can kidney beans
1 small can tomato paste
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
Probably about 4 or 5 tbsp ancho chili powder? It's up to you how much I guess
about 2 tbsp cumin

Put it all in, stir and cooked it on chili for 20 minutes.

It needed more tomatoes so I added a 12 oz can of diced tomatoes and a small can of tomato sauce. Also realized it needed salt so I added that and some more chili powder. Not sure how much but probably another tbsp or 2?

Cooked it on chili for another 10 minutes.

It was really drat good. It would have been better with 1" chuck meat instead of ground beef but I was being cheap.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Vampire spotted ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Life day Chili