Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I just got an Instant Pot Mini.

My apartment's cabinets are cheap, and I'm afraid that the steam from the pressure release will damage them. They live above the counter, where the Instant Pot lives. I also have a very small counter, as it's a very small apartment.

Is there any way to direct the steam away from the counters? Alternatively, can I just use NPR for nearly everything I cook, or will that turn some things into mush? I've heard conflicting reports about putting a washcloth over the valve when releasing the pressure. (I always let it sit for a few minutes before I release it with the valve anyways.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Extortionist posted:

I've started just using the cabinet door to hold a sheet of foil in place, folding and angling it to direct the steam away.

This is brilliant, and I'm stealing this idea. Thanks!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Extortionist posted:

I've started just using the cabinet door to hold a sheet of foil in place, folding and angling it to direct the steam away.

I'm doing this now, and it's working beautifully.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I've used heavy duty aluminum foil to redirect steam a few times now; works pretty well! And I can mold it into any shape I need it to be.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Carillon posted:

Mainly I use a kitchen towel for venting steam. Position the vent so it's away from you and then put the towel on the lid far enough so it's not gonna block anything but close enough that the steam hits it and absorbs or deflects. I always have a towel on hand is a positive there. Ymmv.

That also works well when you release the vent too early, and instead of a font of steam, you get a font of chai shooting out.

Note to self - the chai came out fantastic, but take the extra 10 mins or so to let some of the pressure release manually.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Kudaros posted:

We get a CSA box every week and sometimes (everytime) we get behind on cooking. Does anyone have any recommendations for generic vegetable stew recipes we can use to just throw a bunch of stuff in there and get it done?

We have a lot of root vegetables and their associated greens at moment. I'm about to just go with some vegetable stew recipe that calls for similar ingredients and substitute them out, but I'm not familiar with things like water balance for additional vegetables, how long to cook greens vs. kohlrabi, etc. I'm assuming I can just saute some stuff then mix it all in and go.

It's not a recipe per se, but I've had good luck just putting in a bunch of cut veggies in with some sausages or meatballs, add a couple of cups of water or stock to it, and for spices a bay leaf and some ground pepper. Then I cook on High Pressure for 5-10 mins, depending on if the meat is thawed or not. Let NPR for 15-20 mins when done, release the rest of the pressure manually, and ladle over some cooked rice.

I haven't tried the saute function when it comes to veggies.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I live alone, and got the 3 qt. I like it in that I don't make vast quantities of food, so I'm not sick of all of the leftovers.

The recipes I use are pretty simple as well, so it's nothing to just make a new pot of food every couple of days or so.

I also only use 'Manual' and 'Saute', though I do want to try the yogurt making at some point.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

This recipe looks amazing, and I want to try it with tofu.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried tofu in the IP with success? I tried making a soup with some soft tofu, and pressure cooking it for 5 minutes made it hard and rubbery. I used the extra soft 'soon' tofu used in Korean cooking.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Ranter posted:

Like in saute mode but why would one need to use pressure to cook tofu?

Because it's the last ingredient added into a soup. I was trying to make Soondubu Jjigae, which is Korean Soft Tofu Soup. I decided to pressure cook it for a couple of minutes to also cook the veggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I've eaten tofu my whole life and I've never seen people pressure cook it before. I think the best bet is to just add the tofu at the end and warm it up before serving. It's really just there to add some texture and soak up the soup/sauce.

When my mom made Soondubu Jjigae on the stove it was really quick, like under 10 minutes.

I did that the second time, and it worked really well.