Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
This thread appears to be oriented towards consumer-grade backup solutions/questions, but I've got one about enterprise-level I hope I can get a solid answer to:

Yesterday, a client of ours needed a single file restored to a previous version. They use backup Exec 2014 with a Data Domain (which from what I can tell is a bad solution...Backup Exec seems to hate Data Domains.)

I figured it would be a simple procedure, I've done it with Barracuda and Veeam dozens of times.

But no...it kept failing. It would get to "Staging", get to about 30.6 kb staged, then fail after like 45 minutes with an error about not enough space. The file being restored is only about 1 MB, and the temp location I'm restoring it to has gigs of free space.
The error is V-79-57344-33935.

This seems to indicate the B2D location needs more space...but it also seems to be referring to backups, not a restore job.

So I look into it more, and I see posts like this:
http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-not-restore-specific-files-using-grt-vmdk-files

About needing enough space in the staging location for the ENTIRE VMDK the file resides on...in this case, that would be 850 Gigs (yay for overly bloated file servers.)

But these posts are all about tape drives. I'm finding pretty much NOTHING about the situation with a Data Domain, but I suspect it's the same. I did a test restore of another file, this one was on a VMDK that was only 30 Gigs, and it restored just fine (the staging drive has ~60 gigs free.)

Another tech at my company feels this isn't right...he just hates the idea that BE would need a drive with that much space free to restore one tiny file...he thinks that when Symantec support says the "media server" needs that much free space, it means there has to be that much space on the Data Domain. To be fair, those ARE running very low, because of some BS with BE. There is a TON of old scratch media on the DD's that doesn't appear to be getting over-written...we feel it's because when they upgraded from BE2010 to 2014, the old backups from the 2012 jobs aren't being properly "seen" as scratch media by the 2014 install, but that's another problem for another day.

We recently lost our "Backup Exec expert" a couple months ago, and I'm trying to avoid calling Symantec tech support because they are the absolute worst tech support I have ever dealt with.

So am I right in suspecting that to restore this one single loving file, we need to either expand the staging drive to about 1 TB or so, or use a USB drive connected to the host?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ConfusedUs posted:

I've not (yet) had the opportunity to use their Endpoint backup, but their VM backups are amazing.

Oddly enough, I just came into here to complain about Veeam!

To be fair, it's an issue that has since been fixed, but one of our clients is on Veeam Backup 6.5, and it has a peculiar little quirk...it can't restore files/folders if the path name is over 260 characters.

I had to do a restore today for that client and the folder they needed restored had layers upon layers of sub-folders, so almost half of the files couldn't be restored natively in Veeam.

Thankfully, there is a workaround, since the FLR mounts the VMDK being restored from as a local temp folder, so I could just use Robocopy to get them where I needed...still a pain in my butt, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I figured it was for some legacy reason, but it still seems weird to me that Veeam was able to both backup AND mount these long folder/file names, but just not restore them.

As far as folder structure goes, I don't have much say in the matter...our client's going to do whatever they want with their shared folders.

I do know, however, that within a month they'll be off of Veeam and using a Barracuda appliance anyway, so no sense in asking them to upgrade to Veeam 7.0, which doesn't have that problem.

• Locked thread