Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
I'm looking to backup multiple terabytes of personal and professional media across multiple computers running different operating systems.

I'm familiar with and like Dropbox, but its top tier is 1TB (ignoring Dropbox for Business). Amazon's new "unlimited everything" cloud drive looked like it came at just the right time, but it's untested and the terms of service make me pause. Google Drive I'd rather not use for personal reasons, and iCloud is a little too expensive. Backblaze and Crashplan look slow as hell, though Crashplan does let you mail in a hard drive to seed your backup from.

I would prefer a "drive"-like service so that I can access my media from different computers on different networks, but there's no need for collaboration features, and if I want to share something publicly, I can easily BitTorrent Sync a "public" folder on that drive to a webserver. I'd rather not rely solely on BitTorrent Sync because I imagine it syncs everything, including corruption.

I've also been playing with ownCloud, but after syncing a few files, it hardlocked on me and only deleting everything and starting over seemed to help, which doesn't bode well. It's also thousands of random PHP files from different open source projects, which just sounds a bit complex for them to maintain secure.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I kinda wish Dropbox had a multiple terabyte option that wasn't $750 per year :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I put this in the OP, but man, file-sync options like Dropbox and OneDrive aren't really backups. They're great for content access but lack crucial functionality you need in a true backup solution.

You should look into a NAS for "everywhere" access and back that up using some service of your choosing.

Dropbox would just be a hot backup, not the backup. I have multiple NASes for work and personal stuff with redundant drives, backed up monthly to even more network drives in another room. I don't have a full offsite backup anywhere, though, just some personal things on my dedicated servers.

I liked the idea of ownCloud because my offsite could be hot backup, and while adding a couple drives to a server is a larger upfront cost, it's cheaper in the long term, but ownCloud looks lacking.

Sheep posted:

If you're looking at multiple terabytes of stuff on-demand from multiple sources without using some wonky frontend (Crashplan), have you considered colocation? You'd be looking at ~$70/month average for random datacenters around the country but that will generally get you an unmetered 1U at a lot of places, and then you can just do whatever you want with it once you've provided the hardware. While I was typing this up and comparing prices I found a place that is doing 10x10 1Us for $29/month, even. Get an RS140, throw in two 4TB drives, go to town.

Edit: this is almost certainly overkill and/or a bad idea unless you are loaded.

I already have some colocated servers and I was looking into ownCloud for just that reason, but it crashing moments after adding a couple test documents (simple poo poo like text files and images) didn't instill confidence in me. I've yet to look into Pydio and Seafile.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

TheBuilder posted:

Is anyone using the Amazon new unlimited Cloud Drive? I've been trying to use it for about a week and I have uploaded almost 1 TB, but the file management is awful. Anyone have any tips? A folder like install similar to Google Drive or Dropbox would have been a million times better.

Don't hold your breath for the addition of a folder-like experience. People have been asking for that since 2011.

• Locked thread